Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t explain what it is, but since FeBreze came out I`ve always enjoyed its original scent. I never thought it worked well at eliminating odors though. I`ve used some products from their competitors and they seem pretty similar in that none really seemed to eliminate odors.

I picked up a gallon of DuraGloss`s Absorb-It odor eliminator for use in the car and around the house, and IMO it works just slightly better than Febreze. For me, it comes down to which scent I want to smell at that moment as these products seem to do more odor masking than eliminating.

Recently while doing some shopping at Sam`s Club, I finally decided to buy a product called OdoBan odor eliminator. I first noticed this product about a year ago, but held back on buying it for a few reasons. One, I had a half gallon of Febreze and a gallon of DG`s Absorb-It I had to use up. Two, I did not care for its eucalyptus scent.

Within the past year, my father-in-law`s health has been failing dramatically. I know this sounds gross, but he`s been having a lot of issues with his bowel and has little accidents constantly in the bathroom. He does not wipe himself very well, so it soaks through his boxers AND pants and onto the recliner. And it doesn`t help that he won`t/can`t take regular showers anymore for some reason so he literally goes for a week or more without showering. Believe me, the stench is horrendous wherever he is, but especially after he uses the bathroom. My wife made me install one of those machines that sprays a concentrated air freshener automatically at certain intervals, and while it helps momentarily, all it is doing is masking the odor.

What made me purchase the OdoBan this time was the fact that the product is concentrated and I needed something economical. At $32.99 a gallon for DG`s product and $9.99 for half a gallon of Febreze, that`s too expensive considering how much product I`ll be using.

I`ve been using this thing around the house for the past 3 weeks or so and this product gets a thumbs up in my book. First of all, it costs $9.99 for a concentrated gallon at Sam`s Club. I`ve noticed though it seems to be carried in some stores but not others, mainly stores in Orange County, but not LA. Sam`s Club also sells a 64 oz (half gallon) jug + a 32 oz bottle of Febreze for $9.99.

I have been using it at 3:1 concentration, which is one of the heavier recommended concentrations recommended, but it can be diluted even further for different purposes. Besides being an odor eliminator/air freshener, it is also a disinfectant/sanitizer and more.

This is the first product I`ve used that actually seems to eliminate odors instead of masking it. Now it doesn`t eliminate it 100% odor-free right away when it smells really bad, but a majority of the odor disappears. We also have a baby in the house and the baby`s diaper bin is horrible, but OdoBan helps out a lot. I`ve used Febreze, Lysol aerosol disinfectant, and a box of baking soda at the bottom of the bin and OdoBan beats them all. The problem with the diaper bin though is that you`re constantly adding more dirty diapers to it, so the smell always comes back.

Back to the issue of its scent. When I originally smelled this product last year, it was a strong eucalyptus scent that I didn`t care for. Now, the product`s packaging still states it has a eucalyptus scent, but it smells nothing like it. Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer has a eucalyptus scent, this does not. It`s a pleasant scent and reminds me of some product I`ve used in the past, probably some cologne or soap, and it drives me kinda crazy because I can`t think of what it reminds me of, I just know I`ve used something with that exact smell before.

Ultimately the scent comes down to personal preference but as far as odor eliminating goes, this product wins hands down so far. I`ve yet to try it out in the car, but we have a Saab in our household with a really bad mildew a/c smell that I will probably try this on and see how well it works. I`ve used Febreze and DG`s Absorb-It in the past and it did not help at all. I was originally going to buy 1z Einzett`s product made for this purpose, but that`s $12 a bottle.

Anyway, I`m starting to sound too much like a shill but I`m all about products that works well and offers a good value aka bang for the buck. At $10 for a concentrated gallon, this is much cheaper than many other alternatives. I have been spraying this liberally in many places and on many surfaces for the past few weeks and I`m still on the first 32 oz batch I mixed up. I am pleasantly surprised by the results of this product. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually really like this stuff as well. Until I found Big D Fogger, it was all I used. I prefer the Big D Fogger New car scent, because it lasts like 6-8 months, but this product is great.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review! Are there natural oils or is this all chemical makeup?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    joshtpa, Welcome back! Haven`t seen you around here in awhile! I might have to give that Big D Fogger a try in the car sometime, as I would think the fog can get reach into air vents a bit better than a spray-on type product.

Patrick, I`m not 100% sure if there are any natural oils in it or not. I just realized that the concentration I`m using it at is probably a lot weaker than what I originally thought, as I made my mixture from the RTU (Ready-to-use) bottle that also comes with the gallon. I also forgot to mention that for $9.99 from Sam`s Club, you get the concentrated gallon and a RTU 24 oz spray bottle.

Here`s the link to the product:

OdoBan Odor Eliminator - OdoBan Eliminates Odors - The Original OdoBan Odor Eliminator

And according to the link for the RTU Version, these are the active ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Alkyl (C14 50%, C12 40%, C16 10%)

dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride . . . . . . . . . 0.30%

Other Ingredients . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 99.70%

EPA Reg. No. 66243-1

On their website they also list a FAQ page. Here`s a quick excerpt of what might apply to us in car detailing:

What is the most effective deodorizing method for carpets?

One of OdoBan`s Odor Eliminator features is that it cleans and deodorizes. In many cases the cause of the odor (urine, food, flood damage, sewage, etc.) requires removal. OdoBan Odor Eliminator provides the most effective odor control when using the clean/extraction method.

Will OdoBan Odor Eliminator damage your carpet?

No. OdoBan Odor Eliminator will not damage carpet when used as directed. Note: OdoBan Odor Eliminator should not be used on fourth or fifth generation carpet due to the fact that it will void the warranty. ( Fourth Generation carpet has an application of fluorochemicals that modifies the surface tension of the fiber making nylon fibers more resistant to soils. Fifth Generation carpet has been chemically treated with acid dye resisters to block most common household food and beverage stains.) If OdoBan Odor Eliminator is accidentally applied on fourth or fifth generation carpet, rinse thoroughly with water.

Can you use OdoBan Odor Eliminator in a carpet steamer?

Yes. Note: Do not mix with other cleaners.

Can OdoBan Odor Eliminator be used on car upholstery and carpets?

Yes – the same as upholstery or carpets in homes. Allow to dry before sitting on treated fabric.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big D Foggers

You can find them all over the place online for about $4 each. I will tell you that using a whole can of the big d fogger in one car is over kill. (bad learning curve). You can reach in and shut it off and do about 2-3 cars with each can. It gets into the vents and everything. Maybe my favorite product I have ever found.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I have been looking for a product like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    :2thumbs: Good review. Another very satisfied user here.

It is a sanitizer, deodorizer, mildewstat, disinfectant, and virucide all in one concentrate. I used it to remove the last traces of the rotting food smell from my refrigerator after it sat without power for 3+ weeks after hurricane Rita.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some today at Sam`s less than $10 with tax.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use it for odors that require more than just a cover up. Given time and providing you reach the source, it works extremely well.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are the Canadian distributer from eastern Canada as far west as Winnipeg & you can buy it at any of our clean it stores. We have it private labeled for us by odo-ban & here is the link to the product as well as our website.

REMOVED SPAM LINKS... read the rules!

Post Thanks / Like
    OdoBan has been used for years in the janitorial industry. Good product, attractive price.

Quote Originally Posted by Poordude
    We are the Canadian distributer from eastern Canada as far west as Winnipeg & you can buy it at any of our clean it stores. We have it private labeled for us by odo-ban & here is the link to the product as well as our website.

Swish Odor Control -

Swish - Your Single Source For Quality Cleaning Products.

Little expensive @ $50/gallon, sir spamalot.

Post Thanks / Like
    We use this at my office for the bathrooms and it works quite well. I`ll have to pick some up and give it a try in the car, I never considered that use.

The smell isn`t offensive but it is a little strong at first, after about 15 minutes it fades and leaves a very neutral scent.
    2003 Brilliant Black Audi A4 1.8t

2004 Tornado Red Triumph Speed Triple 955i

Thread Information