Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to try this again...I just about had this post finished up when I was inserting pics and got the old Internect Explorer error asking me if I wished to send an error report. it killed about 3 windows I had open and I lost my post.

Let me start by saying that I purchased by Flex from Powerhouse Distributing in Omaha, NE last week. Price was $269 + $12 shipping. It was drop shipped from their main warehouse in South Carolina. The guys there are outstanding to deal with and I already have my replacment black velcro equipped bp. Here is a link to the post on how I tracked one down:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...e-details.html

I posted some initial pics there from doing the hood on my A6. I thought it turned out very well. This post is about my neighbor`s `04 Toyota Camry that I did over the weekend. It`s gold colored, so some of the paint imperfections (swirls) are a little hard to see. Nonetheless, here are some pics of how trashed this car was:

After toying around with the Flex on Friday night on my A6, I went straight for a yellow pad, Menzerna Power Gloss compound, and speed 6. I got my pads from Excel Detail and Detailer`s Paradise.

The Flex is a serious machine. It goes up to 480 RPMs in forced rotation and up to 9600 OPMs. I immediately noticed the extra horsepower with the Flex over the PC. It allowed me to correct swirls and scratches much quiker than my PC, even equipped with 4" yellow Edge 2K pads.

I would put 3 small fingers of PG on the pad, spread manually, then turn Flex on at about a 3 to spread the PG a little more. Then, I would go up to 6. This is where the time savings came in over the PC. Although I would do a right-left-right, up-down-up, followed by some back and forth action with moderate to heavier pressure, I only had to do these once. With the PC it would be several times working up to about 5 minutes per section. With the Flex it was taking me about 2-3 minutes.

It will start hopping around on you once the pad starts caking up which seemed like that was after 3-4 panels. It was pretty hot and humid this past weekend in STL, so maybe that had something to do with it. Also, it`s imperative to use the trigger lock on it. While I would start to spread on about a 2.5, I would hit the lock button and then slide my right hand back on the very tail end of it to help keep it balanced. I found that you could put medum to heavy pressure on it without any signs of bogging down on speed 6. Also, as Frostydog posted, you seems pretty receptive to angle it in order to hit A-pillars and such.

Here are some general random pics of it:

I would do 2 x 2 sections at a time. After spreading manuall, then with Flex on about a 2.5/3, I would hit it up to a 6 and go to town. I would do a nice slow (1-3" / second) left-right-left, and then up-down-up, followed by some back and forth action, and then apply little pressure and let the forced rotation really do it`s thing with a left-right-left, and down-up-dow. I would move a little quicker when doing this. As opposed to the PC, where I would have to do this several times, I just did this with the Flex once and it took care of the majority of swirls and scratches (that could be taken care of). Here are some pics of the finished product:

Is the finish completely swirl free? No. After some careful inspection, I still saw some light swirl marks in the corners of the sections I was doing. I think this was more my technique than the Flex. As with the PC, the more hours you log with it, the better you get.

My LSP was Menzerna FMJ. I did use the Flex to apply this on about a speed 1. I think going forward I`ll still be using my PC to apply LSP as it is easier to handle and use, but I was trying to log in as much hours as I could with my new toy.

Also, I would like to give a big thanks to my wife who took on the task of the interior carpet. She busted out our steam vac to make the carpets look somewhat presentable.

Net/net, I really like the Flex. It seems like it`s right between a PC/UDM and a full rotary machine. It still provides a safety net for not burning the paint, although I did get it pretty hot at one point and had to back off a little. It has an extremely nice feel and touch to it. It cuts the time down considerably from using my PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive! Really brought the gold back alive!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Patrick. Also, just remembered when I was originally typing this up, I had some comments in there on the pads I used. I ordered an Erasure 6.5" pad kit from Excel Detail and some re-branded LC pads from Detailer`s Paradise. I really liked the Erasure pads as I think their yellow pad has a little more bite than the LC yellow pad. However, this just could`ve been a technique thing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting. I have been reading up on the other threads for the Flex. I am very interested in buying one. I definetly need something faster than my pc. Really nice job on the camry. Did you ever post pics of the A6`s hood?

Post Thanks / Like
    DJ_JonnyV: Great post. Camry looks super!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great writeup Jonny...and great turn-around with that Toyota!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting, thanks for the read. what is going on with the backing plate.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, as for the bp, Flex recognized that the BP was having issues with the red velcro pad that went over it. They are sending out new black velcro equipped BPs as a free replacment. Mine has already arrived. I guess this was posted in some other threads regarding the Flex and not readily apparent in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    `
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV
    Thanks, as for the bp, Flex recognized that the BP was having issues with the red velcro pad that went over it. They are sending out new black velcro equipped BPs as a free replacment. Mine has already arrived. I guess this was posted in some other threads regarding the Flex and not readily apparent in this thread.
    \r\nFYI the Flex is coming out with a 5.5 inch backing pad to replace the standard 6 inch pad on the new models that are coming out from Germany. There is no timeline right now and won\`t be known until the US rep from Flex North America gets back from Germany. It seems like they are listening to detailers on these forums.`

Post Thanks / Like
    jetseet4me: If you information is correct, that`s great news!
    Alpine Weiß BMW E36 M3 Sedan 5-speed

"It`s all in the details..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WK446
    You`d be able to use your Megs pads.
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WK446
    Quote Originally Posted by toml
    You`d be able to use your Megs pads.

WK...Is it the ability to use Megs pads that you like the 5.5" backing plate idea? or is there other reasons??

Post Thanks / Like
    frostydog: Yes, that`s partially the reason I like the smaller backing plate - more flexibility in using smaller pad sizes AND that it gives Flex owners and additional option. Although I have (and use) 7.5" pads, I tend to use the smaller ones more often, perhaps 80-85% of the time.

I will be buying a 5.5" BP if, and when, Flex introduces it...
    Alpine Weiß BMW E36 M3 Sedan 5-speed

"It`s all in the details..."

Post Thanks / Like
    I am ordering mine tomorrow.:woot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superchargedg
    I am ordering mine tomorrow.:woot:
    That`s great to hear Superchargedg!!!

We`re getting a legitimate little community of Flex owners here...

Pretty soon we`ll have loads of data coming in...different finishes, polishes, pads, processes, techniques, ideas, etc...

I LIKE IT!!! :dance

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information