Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostydog
    I`m sure you can...I haven`t with VM or RMG specifically, but I have used the Flex with a black pad to apply other "like" products and it worked just fine. DJ_Jonny and I discussed this topic briefly before, IIRC we both agreed that we prefer using our old PC`s for glaze/sealant/wax/cleaner applications.

The Flex is far superior to a PC when it comes to polishing/correcting. It`s much quicker, still quite easy to use and produces an incredible finish. But the PC can`t be beat when it comes to "application" type processes. The PC can be used with one hand and though the Flex is far from hard to controll....it can`t be feathered around effortlesly like a PC. For that reason I prefer the PC for glazes and such.

However...if your goal is to burnish the paint that final 2-3% to perfection using a black pad and a very fine polish or glaze, I`d have to believe the Flex would be the way to go. I should note, I`ve done zero testing using the Flex for this type of stuff.

Yeah, I remember that brief discussion. Thanks! And thanks zzzzdoc for your input too.

DJ_JonnyV, nice job on that Accord. The "after" pics under the lights show just how much improvement you made in that paint job!
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got off the phone with Powerhouse Dist. and as always, the guys up there are super great to work with. I asked about the new BP coming available, and was informed that they have some of a 130mm (5.12") that were passed around as sample BPs. I asked to buy one and have one on the way. The new one coming out is 140mm (5.51") and will not be available for probably a month at the soonest. So, if you want a 5.12" BP, you better call quick because it sounded like they only have 6 or 7 of them. I`m thinking 5.5" pads and larger now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV
    I just got off the phone with Powerhouse Dist. and as always, the guys up there are super great to work with. I asked about the new BP coming available, and was informed that they have some of a 130mm (5.12") that were passed around as sample BPs. I asked to buy one and have one on the way. The new one coming out is 140mm (5.51") and will not be available for probably a month at the soonest. So, if you want a 5.12" BP, you better call quick because it sounded like they only have 6 or 7 of them. I`m thinking 5.5" pads and larger now.

I ordered a Flex from them today. Dave explained the whole BP issue to me (without my asking) ... which I was already aware of, courtesy of the info here. He told me that the Flex would be shipping from the warehouse with the red BP but that they would be shipping a replacement BP free that was 5" in size. I think that`s smaller than the black velcro ones some folks here have received, so it very well may be that they`ve moved away from the 6" BP and have no more 6" replacement plates.

He also said that they`ve had the new 5 1/2" BP enroute for a couple weeks now, and that it usually takes about a month to receive product from Germany due to Customs. So, it may be sooner rather than later ... or I could have misunderstood what he said. The part number will be 328-200, and the price will be $14.12. He also shared that it had some cushioning in it, so it probably won`t be quite as rigid.

I was thinking "Why not wait until the machines come with the new BP?" In an indirect way, Dave answered my question by saying that Flex North America has several hundred of these polishers on hand and wouldn`t re-order until they`d depleted their stock. So, while the new BP may be here shortly, it may be some time before the warehouse stock reflected the new BP.

So, I ordered the Flex and may get the new BP when it arrives. It should have shipped today and I`m expecting it by Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats by joining the small but growing comunity of flex users.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Flex arrived today. Three days from NC to MA, no problems. Came with the red velcro BP. I`ll call Powerhouse tomorrow and see when I should receive the replacement plate with the black velcro.

Wow is all I can say!! This is a substantial tool that makes the PC look and feel like a toy! I can`t wait to try it out ... hopefully in the next two weeks depending on the weather here (have to polish outside).

On to a couple questions ... the manual says to switch the machine on before placing it on the surface to be polished and run the polisher up to the set speed. I`m thinking that`s more like a rotary technique where you lay a strip of polish on the paint and pick it up with the polisher. Are you all doing that or the PC technique (polish on pad, pad on paint, spread the polish w/polisher off, then turn on the polisher)? I can`t see having polish on the pad and turning the machine on before the pad is placed on the paint.

Also, have any of you tried the Flex without the handle?

Finally, what kind of storage options are you all using? Jonny, you mentioned a B & D bag/tool cart combo from Costco, but I couldn`t find it on their website. Anyone use something else?

Thanks, and I know I`m going to enjoy this machine.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    check Big Lots for canvas tool bags

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toml

On to a couple questions ... the manual says to switch the machine on before placing it on the surface to be polished and run the polisher up to the set speed. I`m thinking that`s more like a rotary technique where you lay a strip of polish on the paint and pick it up with the polisher. Are you all doing that or the PC technique (polish on pad, pad on paint, spread the polish w/polisher off, then turn on the polisher)? I can`t see having polish on the pad and turning the machine on before the pad is placed on the paint.

Also, have any of you tried the Flex without the handle?

Finally, what kind of storage options are you all using? Jonny, you mentioned a B & D bag/tool cart combo from Costco, but I couldn`t find it on their website. Anyone use something else?

Thanks, and I know I`m going to enjoy this machine.

Hey, Tomi, glad you like it!!! I don`t think we`ve seen a person not satisfied with it yet. It really is a great machine.

I apply my polish the same way as I would my PC. Polish on pad, spread manually, turn Flex on about speed 2, spread some more, then get to the a$$-kickin`.

As for the handle, I never really put it on. I like it with my left hand (usually) on the top of it right above the pad for better control and maneuverability (sp?).

As for storgage, I found the B&D bag at a local CostCo by my house. It wasn`t on their website. You can pick up a tool bag just about anywhere, such as Lowe`s. I actually saw some pretty good ones at Sears hardware stores too. Just expect to pay between $30 - $50 for something decent.

Have Fun!!!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the Flex have a RO with forced rotation mode?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Does the Flex have a RO with forced rotation mode?
    Yes I believe it is. At least on this model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, up to 9600 opm with 480 rpm forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV

As for the handle, I never really put it on. I like it with my left hand (usually) on the top of it right above the pad for better control and maneuverability (sp?).

Mine came with the handle on. In fact, I can`t figure out how to remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    That,s weird mine didnt come with a handle.Im gonna have to call about this.Whoops are we talking about a side handle.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got a chain saw....:chuckle:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    check Big Lots for canvas tool bags

harbor freight as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
    Mine came with the handle on. In fact, I can`t figure out how to remove it.
    Mine came with the handle on as well. Check the instructions because it shows you how to install the handle. Removing the handle should be just the opposite.

BTW, my 5" BP from Powerhouse (replacement for the red velcro 6" BP) arrived a day after the Flex did along with my invoice. They sure are a class act.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information