Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    are the same backing plates used with the PC compatible with the Flex?
    No, the thread size for the Flex is M8. I can`t remember what the PC thread size is but it`s not metric.

Aaron from Edge is making me an adapter for the Flex though which I will be testing out for him. I REALLY didn`t want to buy all new pads for this machine. So, I emailed him with the idea for a new adapter and he was VERY accomodating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon
    I have a Flex in hand and will be shooting some in depth videos in the next couple of weeks of it in action and comparing it to a PC. I`ll post when they are up and on my site.

That`s good stuff!!! I learned the most on how to use my PC from your videos. Very, very, helpful and informative. If anyone hasn`t seen them, I would highly recommend checking them out. Stll use my Flex using some of those same techniques.
    Club FLEX X 2

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 what DJ said. I remember watching your videos when I first got my PC. Very helpful. I`ve recommended that site several times to ppl just getting their PC. Great site, great videos and great info. Thank you for taking the time and doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Flex in hand and will be shooting some in depth videos in the next couple of weeks of it in action and comparing it to a PC. I`ll post when they are up and on my site.

great! i value and trust your opinion, especially since you`ve mastered the PC... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    No, the thread size for the Flex is M8. I can`t remember what the PC thread size is but it`s not metric.

Aaron from Edge is making me an adapter for the Flex though which I will be testing out for him. I REALLY didn`t want to buy all new pads for this machine. So, I emailed him with the idea for a new adapter and he was VERY accomodating.

thanks for the info...

Post Thanks / Like

great! i value and trust your opinion, especially since you`ve mastered the PC... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patata
    Hello Mario

Yes i want to buy the flex or similar. In autocare.es we can found this machine around 300€... in ebay, from germany, you can found in 320€

Why this machine is more expensive in Europe than USA if Flex is made in Germany????

This machine isn`t sold by Autocare AFAIK...

Post Thanks / Like
    For paint correction will the Flex work with LC 5.5 inch Low Profile Polishing Pads? Or do I need to buy a different backing plate, like the 5inch LC hook and loop one, would it fit on the Flex?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Flex has a proprietary backing plate. The one that comes with it is a hair shy of 6", making 6.5" pads or large the obvious choice. There for a while, there were a handful of just over 5" backing plates available through Powerhouse Distributing, but I thing they might be gone. Their phone and website are listed in prior posts in this thread. The one that is supposed to become the standard is a 5.5" bp allowing you to use 6" or larger pads safely. So, you cannot use any other type of bp at this time. Although, thanks to MikeyC, he is working with Edge manufacturers about an adapter for Edge 2K pads for the Flex.
    Club FLEX X 2

Post Thanks / Like
    For those thinking about taking the plunge, the Flex is on sale at CMA for $260.96 with free shipping until 11/25 (HOLIDAY07).

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a good deal. Looks like the price is starting to fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, just what I need: another detailing toy!

:waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta get one of these! Not until spring time or when they go on sale. Maybe in a few months the price may come down or places will have some specials going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a chance to do some polishing today with the Flex. It`s been a few weeks since I`ve been able to use it and was starting to get the jitters! I recently picked up some Menzerna 106FA, which is supposed to have a 2.5 cut and a 5 gloss. My standard the past few months has been Menzerna IP which has more cut, but less gloss. The victim was my `01 Audi A6. It`s a gold or champagne color, so it`s kind of hard to see defects easily on the paint, but they`re there. 106FA is a gray color, and I noticed some differences with it right away. First, it seems to have a bit longer working time than IP. I would do my usual passes and it still didn`t seem like it was broken down all the way. This could`ve been due to the weather as well as it started getting a little chilly here. Next, since it wasn`t breaking down as quick, I thought I might be using too much. I usually do about 2 small "fingers" with IP, and started out doing same with the FA. After initial break-in of pad, I scaled back to about 1-2 larger pea size drops. This did seem to help, but I think it was still able to be worked longer.

Obviously (as you look at the Menzerna polish chart), I don`t think this has as much cut as IP. It did seem to clean up the paint rather well. I have some real nasty scratches on the lower half of my A6 on the driver`s side door as shown here:

The 106FA with an orange pad hardly touched these. However, neither did Menzerna Power Gloss with a yellow pad on speed 6. So, yeah, this part is pretty f`d up. Not sure what to do. Anyway, it did clean up some minor swirling and finish down with a very nice gloss elsewhere. Here`s a shot of driver`s side rear passenger door:

As mentioned, it`s hard to see all the defects, but it was a little worse than what you can see in the pic. Here is an after:

I know there are still a few randoms in there, but overall cleaned up a good portion of the swirling. Also, there are a few other nasty spots on the car as shown in the first pic.

With winter approaching, I put on 2 coats of FMJ. I must say that for 6 year old paint, it`s feeling extremely slick. I also clayed before polishing. I used the Flex for applying the FMJ as I didn`t feel like getting out the PC. I might be heading this direction more often. It`s kind of a pain to have them both out for me to trip over! When I first got it, I was a little so-so about using it on LSPs, but with some experience now, I think I`ll be using it more for LSP.

Here`s a few finished product pics of the shine:

Here`s a good one of the paint. I had to really use a low aperture setting, so mainly just the center is in focus.

Also, with the cold setting in here, I picked up some Mechanix gloves at Lowe`s to use while polishing when it`s colder out and they seemed to work pretty well. I got the black, non-padded ones. Things have died down a little, which is good as I still need to lay the wood on my cobalt blue Allroad. This will be a fun one to do as it`s a darker color.
    Club FLEX X 2

Post Thanks / Like
    DJ_JonnyV:

We are gonna have to get together soon and break out that rotary I told you about and let you play with that. The PG and the rotary should bust those scratches pretty well with an orange pad.

I know what you mean about the mechanic`s glove. I also own a pair. A little heat in the garage should also help out.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information