Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    So how many passes did it take to remove the scratch, and would you have been able to do so with a pc?

It took me two rounds. The first round I went over it with the Flex on 5 and only added a small amount of pressure. That helped, but there was still a bit to remove. So the second round I turned it up to speed 6 and pushed down a bit harder...that removed about 95% of the scratch.

I stopped there...I just wasn`t familiar enough with the Flex to feel comfortable going at it anymore (trying to remove the scratch was the first thing I did with the Flex).

Even during the second round I was moving the polisher pretty quickly over a somewhat large area. I have to practice with the Flex a bit more to feel comfortable with how much and how quickly the Flex can correct...if I were to say just push down and hold it in one spot. :nixweiss

That scratch was pretty deep...but I have removed scratches that deep with a PC and 4" yellow pad (should note Acura clear is somewhat soft). Although whenever I would try to remove scratches like that with the PC it took many, many, many passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you use it like a pc as in how you move the machine(slow) or do you have to move it faster like you would a rotary? With the speed will it burn paint or is it as idiot proof as a pc?

Post Thanks / Like
    I could def move quicker with the Flex...

See post #31 about burning the paint. Surely more time is needed to know for sure.

hopefully soon some others, like Zoran C (kidding buddy, I understand all you have going on right now)...will start to use the Flex and we can do some compare & contrast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostydog
    I could def move quicker with the Flex...

hopefully soon some others, like Zoran C (kidding buddy, I understand all you have going on right now)...will start to use the Flex and we can do some compare & contrast.

Dude.....don`t worry about it, cool thing is you are able to answer every question, so you paid attention as you used the machine. We all appreciate your help! Zoran C review will come down the road but in the mean time thanks for your answers. To tell you the truth other than a question about vibration I`m pretty much sold on the machine. Even if it vibrated as much as the PC the less time to correct would certainly alleviate the numbness.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan
    Dude.....don`t worry about it, cool thing is you are able to answer every question, so you paid attention as you used the machine. We all appreciate your help! Zoran C review will come down the road but in the mean time thanks for your answers. To tell you the truth other than a question about vibration I`m pretty much sold on the machine. Even if it vibrated as much as the PC the less time to correct would certainly alleviate the numbness.

Howard

oh, no worries...it`s my pleasure to help out.

My only concern is it would be nice to have others either agree or challenge my findings for the benefit of all. I don`t want to come across as sounding like a Flex cheerleader :getdown

But I surely don`t mind answering any questions I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, helping my g/f is right now only thing I care about. She and I have worked hard on it practically every single available waking moment since last Friday (and yes, both she and I got very little sleep since we started). Good news is that it seems we have almost finished first part of it and we might be able to take break over the weekend. If we do (bad news is that I am on call over weekend and holiday and we have huge `go live` scheduled for it) I hope to be there polishing because I need to finish this car and you can bet I am taking Flex and Ridgid to it.

I don`t want to come across as sounding like a Flex cheerleader :getdown
    I thought that is my role :chuckle: On the serious side, I don`t think anybody can accuse me of that even if I end up madly in love with Flex. Just checkout other thread on 3401, another toy (in addition to Metabo is on it`s way).

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the flex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superchargedg
    Where did you get the flex.

Zoran C got his...post #62 of this thread.

Post #26 of the below thread has where I got mine...

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-pol...401-vrg-3.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Good news is that it seems we have almost finished first part of it and we might be able to take break over the weekend.
    I should have bitten my tongue. As of yesterday company was telling me they need me to do work on Monday. As of now there are things that need to get done also Friday evening. And Friday night. And Friday after midnight. And Saturday morning. And Monday. :grrr

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve logged a few more cars, polishes, hours and thoughts about the Flexâ€so I thought it was time for an update.

This weekend was the first I used the Flex with Menz 106 (wife`s truck)...until this weekend I`ve been using FPII / IP, I`m more familiar with those polishes and I was still trying to get a feel for the Flex compared to PC. There`s no doubt in my mind anymore...the Flex is quicker and capable of producing a better finish FOR ME. I’ve polished my car with a PC & FPII countless timesâ€using the same pads and polish I was able to produce a noticeably better finish using the Flex. I’m certain others can produce a better finish via PC than I, but with my consistent understanding and skill levelâ€I was able to produce an improved finish with the Flex over the PC.

I’ve been looking forward to trying the 106 with the Flex. I used a white pad and ran the Flex on about 4.5 (max speed 6.0). More recently I started running a slightly slower speed, I decreased from ~5.25 to ~4.5. I know it sounds like a small decrease, but it’s actually a noticeable change with the feel of the polisher in my hands, also the effort needed to control it. It’s not like running the Flex at levels of 5 and 6 is hard, far from it actually. You certainly need to hold on a little tighter, move a little faster and pay a little more attention, but it is workable at higher speeds. I found a very comfortable pattern using the Flex at speed 4.5, which I thought was producing equal results and just felt best to me. I did start moving the polisher slower during the first 2 passes, then would go over a couple more times with faster passes. Those first two slower passes would do a lot; usually the polish would start dusting shortly after I started the fast passes. For me running on speed 4.5 also made it easier to keep a firm, constant pressure on the polisher...its nice being able to push down firmly with zero bog.

The 106 did in fact (as most will say) produce a brilliant finish. It was a great polish to work withâ€it broke down nicely, only dusted slightly; although I was expecting a little more correcting ability from it. It’s not like I was expecting a lot of correction, I’m sure a Green or Orange pad would do more, but I was expecting just a little more. Don’t ask me whyâ€

I also realized I need more time to “tinker†with the 106 and Flex. Different pads, different speeds, etc†One thing for sure is the Flex can produce heat and from what I’ve read that is a large variable in producing the “wow†106 finish.

It hasn’t been a one-sided love affairâ€if anything I have a new appreciation for my PC. I like switching to my PC after I polish with the Flex, for some stupid reason I just find it nice to switch machines. IMO the PC is still the tool for AIOs/LSPs/Glazes. The ability to feather the PC around the car with one hand is invaluable to me for applying AIOs/LSPs/Glazes.

Here are a few pics of the wife’s truck.

Forgive the gobs of untreated plastic this thing has on it.:grrr

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Frostydog, that looks nice and tight. I don`t have the Menz 106ff polish yet, but looks like I`ll be adding it to the arsenal down the line. Currently working through a 32 oz. of Micro Polish. As you stated in my post in Car Detailing, I think you and I are starting to come to a lot of the same conclusions on this thing. The key being is that it does allow you to work quicker than a PC, but still provides a reasonable safety net. I did one hand the beast a few times when applying some Menz FMJ this afternoon. I know we agreed that still using PC would be best for LSP, but, I just had to use the new toy!!! I was also spreading the FMJ on about a 1.5 speed. PC would defintiely be better for LSP. As you stated, being able to just feather that baby around is really nice. I was applying some FMJ on the top part of the bottom bumper and the backing plate tapped into one of the tail lights. No damage, but the PC + Edge pads would be much safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV
    Hey, Frostydog, that looks nice and tight. I don`t have the Menz 106ff polish yet, but looks like I`ll be adding it to the arsenal down the line. Currently working through a 32 oz. of Micro Polish. As you stated in my post in Car Detailing, I think you and I are starting to come to a lot of the same conclusions on this thing. The key being is that it does allow you to work quicker than a PC, but still provides a reasonable safety net. I did one hand the beast a few times when applying some Menz FMJ this afternoon. I know we agreed that still using PC would be best for LSP, but, I just had to use the new toy!!! I was also spreading the FMJ on about a 1.5 speed. PC would defintiely be better for LSP. As you stated, being able to just feather that baby around is really nice. I was applying some FMJ on the top part of the bottom bumper and the backing plate tapped into one of the tail lights. No damage, but the PC + Edge pads would be much safer.

Thanks much!!!

Agree...def faster, better end results and still seemingly very safe to work with.

I`m starting to think the "risk" with the Flex isn`t burning the paint...you`d have to be pretty careless for that to happen. I`m not even sure if it`s possible, I wish I had access to an old beater that I could intentionally try to burn. But the Flex can produce heat, we both can attest to thatâ€

I think the real risk is what happened to youâ€hitting something with the backing plate. If you’re using 6.5†pads there isn’t much pad “overhang†from the BP for a buffer (hardly none). And the backing plate on this thing is hard, unlike the PC flexible type BP’s. Not too mention the power this thing has. I haven’t done it yet, but I can see making a paint nick if the BP hits something just right.

Also, regarding the Velcro backing on the Flex BPâ€you mentioned you see this being a problem. I have to say after hearing about the new Velcro I went home and took a pretty close look at mine. I tried lightly “picking†at it to see if I had any issuesâ€and thus far it seems pretty secure to me.

May I ask what makes you think you’ll have issues??? Did you see something happening to your Velcro already??

I’m still going to call for the replacementâ€but I’m thinking even this orig red one will last quite a while. That’s perfect though, hopefully I’ll have two BP’sâ€which isn’t a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a pic of what I was referring to with the velcro pad section:

This happened within the first 10-15 minutes Friday night when I fired it up on my A6. Although it really hasn`t gotten any worse since doing the Camry on Saturday.

Yeah, it will definitiely heat the paint up. I was really trying to work an area over on the Camry and went to feel it, and had to pull my hand away. Needless to say, I moved on and let that dog lie...

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, my new black velcro equipped bp just showed up at work. I`ll try to swap them out this evening and post some pics. Might be tomorrow night though since I have to finish a home theater install this evening.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information