Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My quick thoughts on the "heat factor"...

When I was done polishing my car (white pad), I went to peel the pad off the backing plate and did notice a significantly higher amount of heat on both the pad and BP, vs what I would`ve with the PC. I was hardly shocked by this, but it was quite noticeable.

I should also note that to correct the nasty scratch I had on my hood I was working the polisher in an area of about a 1.5ft x 1.5ft (always keeping the polisher moving). I was using an orange pad, Menz IP and the highest speed of the polisher. I`d spread the polish and work it for about 20-30 seconds in that small area until the polish broke down. I was also using some force (pressing down) on the polisher. I had to do this process a couple times to remove the scratch. I checked the paint temp (with my hand) after each round...and while the paint was surely warm, it didn`t feel hot to me. I also waited a couple minutes between each round to let the paint cool down a bit.

In no way am I saying the Flex can`t burn paint (I just haven`t used it enough to know for sure)...but I def agree with the others that the margin of error lies between a PC and a rotary. I`m really thinking you`d have to be pretty negligent to burn your paint with the Flex, though the risk is probably there. Where there`s probably just about zero risk of it happening with a PC.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. So my last question is for someone that does a car every couple of months should I just go with the UDM? I don`t mind spending the extra money for the Flex but only if I`m going to notice any huge differences. Thanks again

Mike

This is a hard question, largely because I haven`t used the UDM. If you currently do not own a PC...I`d probably have to suggest the UDM, just based on it`s versatility vs the Flex. Remember the Flex only has one backing plate/tool to use with the machine. There`s many different BP`s, foam pad sizes, carpet brushes, etc...for the PC/UDM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostydog
    My quick thoughts on the "heat factor"...

When I was done polishing my car (white pad), I went to peel the pad off the backing plate and did notice a significantly higher amount of heat on both the pad and BP, vs what I would`ve with the PC. I was hardly shocked by this, but it was quite noticeable.

I should also note that to correct the nasty scratch I had on my hood I was working the polisher in an area of about a 1.5ft x 1.5ft (always keeping the polisher moving). I was using an orange pad, Menz IP and the highest speed of the polisher. I`d spread the polish and work it for about 20-30 seconds in that small area until the polish broke down. I was also using some force (pressing down) on the polisher. I had to do this process a couple times to remove the scratch. I checked the paint temp (with my hand) after each round...and while the paint was surely warm, it didn`t feel hot to me. I also waited a couple minutes between each round to let the paint cool down a bit.

In no way am I saying the Flex can`t burn paint (I just haven`t used it enough to know for sure)...but I def agree with the others that the margin of error lies between a PC and a rotary. I`m really thinking you`d have to be pretty negligent to burn your paint with the Flex, though the risk is probably there. Where there`s probably just about zero risk of it happening with a PC.

This is a hard question, largely because I haven`t used the UDM. If you currently do not own a PC...I`d probably have to suggest the UDM, just based on it`s versatility vs the Flex. Remember the Flex only has one backing plate/tool to use with the machine. There`s many different BP`s, foam pad sizes, carpet brushes, etc...for the PC/UDM.

I have used a pc for years. Now I`m going to replace it with something I`m hoping would make the job quicker, ie; breaking polish down, etc. Because I`m doing very few cars versatility is not as important to me as it may be to some. I can`t make a decision on this to save my life. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttrow
    I have used a pc for years. Now I`m going to replace it with something I`m hoping would make the job quicker, ie; breaking polish down, etc. Because I`m doing very few cars versatility is not as important to me as it may be to some. I can`t make a decision on this to save my life. Thanks again

oh...ok, I missed the fact that you already own a PC.

Well for me, the main reason for purchasing the Flex, was because I just couldn`t handle the amount of time it was taking me to polish a car with a PC. I`m also only a hobbyist, but I do detail for a few friends and family. I don`t know if I`m really impatient, or if my technique wasn`t quite right...but I just couldn`t mentally handle the amount of time it was taking me to polish a car (to a level that I felt good about) with a PC.

The Flex is def quicker, it corrects better and IMO leaves a better looking finish.

It is also a bit bigger and heavier though.

Not to further complicate your decision, but there are other polishers in this ballgame as well...Makita BO6040, Festool Rotex 150 (although there seems to have been some problems with the Festool)

I was also having trouble deciding on which one to buy. I read as much as I could, asked a few questions and ultimately decided on the Flex because (from what I read) it seemed to be a good fit for me. It also was specifically designed for polishing cars, FWIW that meant something to me. At the end of the day I am happy with my purchase, was there a better choice for me...who knows???

If you can wait a bit I know ZoranC is getting a Flex soon and has also used the UDM and Festool. He can probably offer better decision points than I. You could probably also ask some of the BO6040 folks their thoughts on that.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostydog
    oh...ok, I missed the fact that you already own a PC.

Well for me, the main reason for purchasing the Flex, was because I just couldn`t handle the amount of time it was taking me to polish a car with a PC. I`m also only a hobbyist, but I do detail for a few friends and family. I don`t know if I`m really impatient, or if my technique wasn`t quite right...but I just couldn`t mentally handle the amount of time it was taking me to polish a car (to a level that I felt good about) with a PC.

The Flex is def quicker, it corrects better and IMO leaves a better looking finish.

It is also a bit bigger and heavier though.

Not to further complicate your decision, but there are other polishers in this ballgame as well...Makita BO6040, Festool Rotex 150 (although there seems to have been some problems with the Festool)

I was also having trouble deciding on which one to buy. I read as much as I could, asked a few questions and ultimately decided on the Flex because (from what I read) it seemed to be a good fit for me. It also was specifically designed for polishing cars, FWIW that meant something to me. At the end of the day I am happy with my purchase, was there a better choice for me...who knows???

If you can wait a bit I know ZoranC is getting a Flex soon and has also used the UDM and Festool. He can probably offer better decision points than I. You could probably also ask some of the BO6040 folks their thoughts on that.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the input. My use would be about the same as yours. I did read about the Festool and while it seems like a nice tool, price does become an issue @ some point not to mention 1 b/p spinning off is 1 to many for me. I`m going to take a look @ the makita you mentioned and try to make a decision. I did call Flex this morning to see if they could tell me where/who of their distributors may have stock. They could not tell me. I also asked about the warranty which they answered but not as a cut & dry deal as the udm. From what I read here, have a problem in the first year and it gets replaced, Flex throws in misuse, at their discrection, repair or replace etc., etc.

Thanks again

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I just have bad luck but I called the distributor Flex gave me. When I called them they gave me another distributor to call. I called them and they just called me back to verify the p/n because it was not in the catalog. Dist. just called again and told me the price is 480.80.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a link to another post and the place where I got mine from...

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-pol...401-vrg-3.html

They`re local for me, but I`m all but positive they`ll mail it to you.

Mind you, they do not stock this product either, but the Flex US dist center (the number you called) is only 10 minutes from them. So they just ran over and picked one up for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frosty I just shot them an email. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a pc for years. Now I`m going to replace it with something I`m hoping would make the job quicker, ie; breaking polish down, etc.
    Decision should be easy if you already own PC. I would keep the PC. After all, one can not get much for used PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frosty I just shot them an email.
    Mike, unless they can beat $300 total shipped and you are not in life-or-death rush I would wait one more day till I get mine in hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Decision should be easy if you already own PC. I would keep the PC. After all, one can not get much for used PC.

PC has been sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Mike, unless they can beat $300 total shipped and you are not in life-or-death rush I would wait one more day till I get mine in hand.

I can wait. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the great review Frosty. gonna wait for ZoranC review before deciding. is the flex backing plate fixed? i don`t want the backing plate to come off like the festool did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seng12
    gonna wait for ZoranC review before deciding. is the flex backing plate fixed? i don`t want the backing plate to come off like the festool did.
    Yes, backing plate has a screw that holds it. My full review will be delayed due to higher priority but I will post as many pictures as possible in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frosty I just shot them an email. Thanks for the info.

Had a reply from them this morning. It was, they do not stock Flex. I`m done. It is going to be a UDM for me. A UDM is still a step up from the pc I had. For the amount of calls I made, including direct to the mfg. just to buy something, I can`t help but wonder what would happen if item were ever to become defective. Frosty/Zoran thanks for all of your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a reply from them this morning. It was, they do not stock Flex. I`m done. It is going to be a UDM for me. A UDM is still a step up from the pc I had. For the amount of calls I made, including direct to the mfg. just to buy something, I can`t help but wonder what would happen if item were ever to become defective. Frosty/Zoran thanks for all of your input.

I was affraid that may happen, sorry to hear of all the difficulities you`re having.

You`re email most likely went to their main location....which is in Atlanta GA. The Flex dist center and Dixie location I got mine at are both located in Greenville SC. When I originally called Flex and asked them where I could purchase the polisher they made it sound like I had to call the Greenville Dixie and ask for Jeff specifically...as if he may be the only person there who would know about Flex. I`m sure the fact that they are only a few miles apart has a lot to do with it. Flex is new to us...people just don`t seem to really know about them yet.

But you do make a valid point...if it was this hard for you to purchase it, any problems with the polisher may give you further issues to try to get it fixed. Personally, I have the luxury of being able to walk in the front door of Flex & Dixie...where most wouldn`t.

Although for the reference of others...I really feel if you call the Greenville SC Dixie and ask for Jeff you will get the polisher. But then the point of what if you need to return it??? I really have to believe Dixie will take the return. But again...I can certainly understand how all this may be unsettling for a delivery order.

Regardless Ruttrow...I don`t feel going with the UDM was a bad choice. Enjoy!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information