Thread: orbit vs. buff

Post Thanks / Like

orbit vs. buff

i used to like doing everything by hand, even when i had access to a regular buffing wheel. thats not an option for me anymore and i need to make a purchase SOON!. i`ve been out of the game for a little bit and i`m not up to sped onwhats out there. any opinions on random orbital buffer vs. traditional ones/ what are good, but not bank breaking models????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: orbit vs. buff

Probably the most efficient (both cost wise and production wise) is the Porter Cable 7336 or PC 7442. It`s the random orbit that`s talked about 95%+ of the time on here.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable DA polisher (7336 or 7424) can be bought at places like Lowes for $100-$120.00. (I`m guessing you live in the States). It comes with 1 pad, non-Velcro®. You would then need to buy a backing plate ($10-$20) and some pads ($9.00+). You can also buy a complete package deal from online vendors. If you were to combine the package with some wax and such, you might even get free shipping (cough..PAC..cough). This machine is one of the safer to use (REALLY hard to damage your paint with it), but since you`ve had experience with a rotary, you may find that you aren`t able to accomplish as much/as fast with the PC as you would with the rotary.
    As to which rotary to buy, I can`t really help there. I have a really cheap one. (Variable speed and stuff, but not the likes of a Makita and such. )
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Skinny Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

DeWalt or Metabo would be your best choice. They are well balanced between the spindle and handle, quiet and the Metbao is very light.

DeWalt costs about $200 while the Metabo is around $300. You get what you pay for so a $50 rotary may work well but for heavy everyday use you will need something like the DeWalt.

Boss_429

Quote Originally Posted by ajhauser81
    any opinions on random orbital buffer vs. traditional ones/ what are good, but not bank breaking models????
    Well, the PC (random orbital buffer) is really a polisher and not a high speed buffer. Still, it is a very good tool for detailing. However, it will not do the serious paint correction that a rotary buffer will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Analyze what your needs are and you`ll find which tool you`ll need. For a GOOD rotary (Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita perhaps) you`re looking at 200 bucks, and for the Random orbital you`re looking at a PC for around 100. Throw in another 50 bucks for backing plates and pads and you`re set. In the long run, this 100 dollar difference is NOTHING.

If you`re looking to do just light polishing on cars 2-3 times a year, the PC is for you.

If you`re looking to remove serious defects then you WILL need a rotary. It will also cut your light polishing times considerably.

There IS a learning curve to the rotary, but it isn`t long if you have confidence in yourself and your abilities.

I started with the Porter Cable 7336 DA polisher from Lowe`s. Then I had my car repainted, and decided I needed to WETSAND. The PC wasn`t going to TOUCH those sanding marks, but the rotary could. So I bought a Dewalt 849. I practiced on two hoods and felt ready to go. I coulda used more practice, but the window of opportunity to wetsand was open so I took it...

Everybody`s needs are different. Find what you`re looking for and get the tool you need. Or be like me and get both!!!
    The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.
    -Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Post Thanks / Like

Being a hand man for 15 years professionally, I now use a buffer. The 7336 is affordable (local for most) and works great. $99.95 at Lowes then you have to buy a plate and pad. I do agree that a rotary would be needed for certain paint correction. One of my trucks and my car though seem to have more problems then I ever encounter on my customer vehicles. I found the 7336 was able to correct most of it. It definately takes longer. I do plan to buy an inexpensive rotary from harborfreight later on for certain jobs. I`m still amazed at the 7336. I sanded my lights the other night and then polished them out. I also used it to polish some toys that my wife is selling on ebay

Thread Information