Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Megs #16 Review

Post Thanks / Like
    So a while back, Chris, from e-shine gave me a free jar of Megs #16. Thank you Chris and the e-shine team. I promised I would do a review, this one is long over do but I did promise it.

I used the wax about 2 or 3 weeks ago during one of my study breaks. However, I still remember the wax well. So here is my review, please enjoy.

Product:

Meg`s #16 paste wax

Price:

Free. but for everyone else its $22.75 CDN at e-shine

Packaging:

Its a simple blue tin with some gaudy Meg’s stuff on it, the directions are on the back. I did like how it was a metal jar and not these plastic ones. The only problem is the lid is a pita to get off, but ones it is off your good.

Sent:

once opened i decided to smell it, I am used to using some nice smelling waxes, this one wasn’t one. Its not that it was a bad smell it just was not fruity like I’m used to. To tell you the truth its a waxy smell, surprise surprise, but it is kind of addicting, i found myself smelling it over and over again

color:

it was a light whitish blue, it looked like a really light hazy blue color. nothing special but hey its a wax.

Texture:

This was a hard wax, i did poke it with my finger and, I found it to be a really thick wax. For anyone who has used zymol carbon, (and kept it in the fridge like zymol says to), its much like that.

Direction per megs (paraphrased):

Basically its like any wax you use that’s not wowo, you apply it, let haze for about 15 min and buff off.

Chris and a few others have warned me to apply very thinly because its hard to buff otherwise.

How I used:

I applied a thin layer to the whole car using a yellow AG foam applicator. I put a little product on the pad at a time so I could spread it well. I spread until the product was almost no existent on the car. I made sure it was REALY REALY thin since I did not feel like some intense buffing

I let it sit for 20 minutes haze, from there I buffed off with a cobra mf.

Initial thoughts:

I thought it wasn’t to bad to buff off since I did apply it thin, also I found my paint to be really smooth. My paint needs some work because i have been busy with school.

I also threw a bucket of water on the hood and wow did it sheet, it was actually better then any sheeting i have seen before.

Looks:

The paint wasn’t to shiny, it did get shiniest after the 24 hour cure time, however it was nothing special. I did like the look though, it made it look "natural" with a kick. Its hard to explain what anyone who has used this was could probably help me out. Its almost like when applying 303 to the interior, its matte but you know something there. It was the same with 16 on the paint, it wasn’t to glossy or deep but you knew something was one it.

Durability:

its still beading and sheeting 2 to 3 weeks later, but that’s nothing special for a wax, almost all will do that. I will have to post in the future how long the wax lasted, assuming I let it last that long.

Finial thoughts:

Well Chris wasn’t kidding when he said that I would have the tin for life. I used so little product it was crazy. Once you applied the wax to a section you got the idea of how to use it, it was easy. I was defiantly impressed with the smoothness it left, however I wasn’t to impressed with the look. I think it may be a topper for a better-looking wax. I think it will also work well for winter cars, give some protection that lasts a while (from what I have heard)

I don’t know what the whole buzz around this wax is, its an ok wax for the price but nothing special. not worth buying 5 tines just in case. If i ever use this tin up i might buy another one we will see.

Will I use it again? yes of course I have a whole tin and I did like it better then gold class. It was allot nicer to work with and I liked the look better.

Special Thanks:

Thank you Chris for the opportunity to use this wax. I appreciate it. I was looking at getting some to see what the hype was about. Sorry I did not like it more bur i promised and honest option.

I would still tell people to try it as its a low price point, and there are a ton of people who don’t like it. Its just not my cup of tea.

But don’t take my word for it, try it yourself and let us hear your reviews.. for 20 bucks you cant loose.

Any comments or questions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    calgarydetail- I enjoyed that review, even if you and I are on different sides of the #16 fence

I`m a bit surprised that it didn`t improve the (subjective, at least) look of the paint. I just refreshed the #16 on my wife`s A8 a while back and it was strikingly obvious that I`d done something...and all I did was throw another coat on an already decent-looking car, no prep at all.

You might try applying it by machine some time, that`s my peferred way of doing it. Dunno if it`ll make any functional difference in your results though.

You really will have it around for a long time, I get *years* out of each tin, just finished one I opened in the early-mid `90s! Good move, putting it on nice and thin :xyxthumbs

Heh heh, I found your "it smells like wax" comment interesting, you did *not* say it smells like crayons Also got a kick out of your "found the scent addicting", yeah, the smell is probably one of the reasons I always enjoy using the stuff.

Thanks for the review!

Post Thanks / Like
    calgarydetail........apply another coat 24hours after the first or "spit polish" a second and you will see the dif I guarantee it

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see a review like this. Maybe the advice from all pro-#16 wax users will change his opinion? Or maybe it will remain the same?

Keep us updated Calgarydetail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I just got some #16 too, it`s terrible. Everyone dump their cans on the trading forum ASAP

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Also got a kick out of your "found the scent addicting", yeah, the smell is probably one of the reasons I always enjoy using the stuff.
    Now we know real reason why some of us are addicted to detailing :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I will apply a seconed coat of wax to give it another shot, im not one to pass a product by with an unfair review.Like i said these are what I like.. i use them becasue i like them and for no other reason). Im used to waxes looking better but not lasting, not a big deal I wax alot. I just dont think 16 is right for me. Again just my humble opion.

and sneek.. step away from the 16, its time for rehab?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review of the #16 there, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the product.

I`m personally a fan of the #16 - not because its the best looking wax out there, or the easiest to apply but because it does everything it says on the tin very well and is excellent value for money (in the UK at least)... Re: the looks, this is always going to be a very subjective thing, espeically with a wax which at the end of the day is only adding 5-10% of the look to the end of the detail on properly prepared paint... Its just the icing on the cake, and we all prefer different types of icing. Thats what makes detailing fun for me, finding out which products I personally like and what others think of them.

Great review.
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I have the same memories with #16. I used it in Switzerland (Geneva Show) on a black AC Cobra and I thought it was nothing special. Obviously, the car was prepped properly by the Meg`s guys, but I wasn`t able to detect more than a "there is something on the paint" impression. It definitely wasn`t a WOW-effect or something similarly striking.

I have FK1 1000P, Collinite 885 pastes, so I don`t need anything just for durability. Still, I`m tempted to buy a can - just to get a bit more acquainted with it personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    I have FK1 1000P, Collinite 885 pastes, so I don`t need anything just for durability.

Do you prefer the look of 1000p or Megs #16 from what you seen at the Geneva Show? Im really intrigued with 1000p especially if it has a nice glow to it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarydetail
    sneek.. step away from the 16, its time for rehab?

lol yeah, last night i found myself eating a crayon.

Post Thanks / Like
    i applied 2 coats of #16 to my g/f`s car in september...for a car in average/good condition it always looks good after a wash and still beads well

its a added bonus that a 4" pc pad fits inside the tin

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this product only available to purchase from Canada? And which website? It looks very tempting to order one

Post Thanks / Like
    I find on light colours, especially silver, it gives a nice wet look that is *very* noticeable. On darkers colour, not so noticeable. What colour is your paint?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information