Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi

How were you judging the durability? It begins to sheet (as opposed to beading)after the first week--for me anyways.

Um...when it started to sheet I thought it was dead...I had UPP on the other part of the car, so the M21 was less slick. Not to start this again, but how can you judge if it`s still there if it`s sheeting? Does it start to bead again when it`s gone?

Post Thanks / Like
    When it starts to sheet, put on a coat of Aquawax, it will bead for at least another month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Um...when it started to sheet I thought it was dead...I had UPP on the other part of the car, so the M21 was less slick. Not to start this again, but how can you judge if it`s still there if it`s sheeting? Does it start to bead again when it`s gone?

I use the "flood" method when rinsing. With #21 using the flood method the water is almost *totally* gone after rinsing--I could dry a mid-size SUV with a 16x24 WW with room to spare. IME, while UPP is slicker upon intitial removal, #21 will stay slicker longer and is also more durable. I know that it is on its` last legs when the water begins to "cling" while rinsing.

From my original review from April of 05:

Just wanted to bump this thread for a little durability update. On my own car, I couldn`t resist and have been using OCW weekly since I applied the #21. Nice pair BTW,...

On the fiance`s SUV I applied the #21 just under 6 weeks ago. Since then I have washed with Meguiars NXT 6 times and once with QEW. NO QD`s, no boosters, nothing, just wash and dry.

If you are looking for the "hydrophobic" bead pattern when sprayed with a hose (like #16, UPP, etc) this is NOT the sealant for you. It sheets water when sprayed with a hose, but does bead in the rain really well. She called me this morning and commented that the beads were flying towards her as she drove(she has a well-trained eye after 10+ years of putting up with my sickness).

Slickness is still fair at this point, after washing the WW still has a "glide" to it as it passes along the paint.

Sprayed full blast with a hose:

Long enough to put the hose down:

15 seconds:

After the wash, new vroom dressing on the tires,

Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK, Meguiar`s sealants are formulated to sheet not bead, which IMHO, is better. There is less risk of hard water etching or mineral deposits on the surface since beads tend to sit on the surface and dry that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    ...Not to start this again, but how can you judge if it`s still there if it`s sheeting? Does it start to bead again when it`s gone?

Squeak Test

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDLexus
    AFAIK, Meguiar`s sealants are formulated to sheet not bead, which IMHO, is better. There is less risk of hard water etching or mineral deposits on the surface since beads tend to sit on the surface and dry that way.

Exactly right SDlexus Ron Ketchum af Autoint explained it that way has something to with the chemical process that it goes through.

> Scottwax has said the best way to apply NXt tech wax or 21 is over a sealant will not bond good over oily products ie Meg` polishes.

So if I used it would be put over aquawax.

And Joshua thanx for all the info.

mongo

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    well if it beads initially and then sheets something must have been removed from the surface of the sealant. Whether that is oil, silicone or actual product is the question. If it continues to bead in the rain I`d guess it`s safe to say that some product remains.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been looking into getting a sealant. Will M21 bond to a glaze? RMG or Omega Glaze to be specific.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...I`m intrigued. I hope this isn`t a stupid question, but would I be able to layer it with Souveran to get the darkening ability and durability of M21 with the depth of Souveran?
    -Geonald

Post Thanks / Like
    if anyone is interested (since the topic has come up), i have 12oz of #21 for trade. pm me...

Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience I have had no problems with #21 bonding over RMG or #7. I orginally thought I did when I was experinceing horrible streaking and smearing, but Megs replaced my #21 and now its good to go.

Here is a picture of a Vette`s hood after being (orginally was rotary buffed using #84/7006 pad at 1500 rpm and 83/8006 pad at 1200 rpm) polished by #80 and two coats of #21. The owner no longer uses Zaino, FWIW...

Here is a couple of more of the same Vette

Here is a gray blue Sebring, clayed then sealed with #21 for 2 coats...

A forum members` black Ram, rotary buffed with #83, PC`d with #80, glazed with #7, then a coat of #21

Black H3, rotary with #84x2, #83x1, PCed with #66, then followed up with #21

Plus we have all seen Superior Shine`s work, and he uses #21 like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics!

Setec, when it is completely dead, the water will stick/pool/cling on the surface - covering the panels with an even uniform film - as we see it on completely unprotected cars. Ironically, these cars are drying a lot sooner (and usually spotless) than well-protected/sealed ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    The beading then sheeting is a chemical process that happens Ron Kethum explained it but can`t remeber exactly waht he said somethin about some part of the sealant had to gas out or something like that .

mongo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    ...as we see it on completely unprotected cars. Ironically, these cars are drying a lot sooner (and usually spotless) than well-protected/sealed ones.

I started a thread once about whether beading was a double-edged sword causing acid rain/water spot damage...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so now I`m convinced that M21 needs to be on my shopping list. Been using Meg`s #26 wax and #7 glaze on my dark blue `04 G35 Coupe with great results. I even gave up using my tried and true #16 because of this combination. Even the wifie noticed the difference!

Do I need to remove the glaze and wax or will M21 apply over that without problems? Do I apply anything on top of M21? 64oz will last forever!

I`m confused now...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information