The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Simple Green, yes or no?

My experience with Simple Green led me to stop using it.
    I thought maybe some discussion might be enlightening.
    It is a great cleaner, but I felt it really caused the painted underhood braces to fade on my van. Mixed 50/50 with water, sprayed on and rinsed with a hose, the braces went from shiny to almost flat black. No other underhood items appeared to suffer any damage. My trusty AIO restored the shine, but I have not used Simple Green since.
    Another thing I have read is that caution should be used around bare aluminum because of possible discoloration.
    Maybe I am being unfair to the product, but it is now a pot, pan, oven rack and barbecue cleaner in our household.
    So, that`s my experience with SG, let`s hear yours.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simple Green, yes or no?

Yeah I loved the stuff at first, but after getting P21S Total Auto Wash, I have put it aside. It now resides in the garage, unfortunately. After hearing some of the stories on here, Im a lil worried about using it, although plenty of people seem to ahve great experiences with it. Knowing my luck, it would mess somehting up!
    1998 Acura 3.0Cl - Clean, just how I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

I use SG on almost every detail that I do. Most of the time it is diluted (at the moment I can`t remember what my current bottle is mixed at)Its pretty weak though. I use for spot treating and some interior cleaning. I have not had any problems yet. Even at full strength for example on heavily soiled wheels/rims I have not experienced any problems. On that note, I don`t let it sit for very long on any surface. Maybe thats why?

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee
    Even at full strength for example on heavily soiled wheels/rims I have not experienced any problems. On that note, I don`t let it sit for very long on any surface. Maybe thats why?
    I agree with the general. I use the ready to use formula on my white lettering and it works great.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use it quite a bit , and still do , but only on the tractor`s/mower`s , ATV and such. Otherwise switched to PB APC for my automotive use.

I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

Does wonders when it comes to giving my tires a good scrub, also pretty decent on fabric. I have vinyl floor in my truck, so I`ll occasionally use SG to give it a thorough cleaning and the nice wintergreen smell it leaves is pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used it for a long time and in a vriety of different applications and dilutions and have never had a problem. If anything, I think it is a little underrated.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the spray bottle of SG, the one that says Automotive or something similar. Is this 100% SG or is it already diluted?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used SG for some time but I do not use it 100% most of the time its 50/50 and I never spray directly on unless its engine areas or wheel wells. I`ve found it to be great in allot of detailing areas. I do think that regualr use on certain surfaces at 100% or less will dull the finish over time and I think that is what Charles had happen to him.
    Its a real strong cleaner and should be used with caution but I would not be without it for various reasons.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

On cars, I`ve only ever used Simple Green on tires and wheel wells. Even then, it was diluted. I`m a bit apprehensive to use it anywhere else on cars as I already have other products for specific tasks. For the most part, I use Simple Green around the house (bathrooms). On several occasions, I added some Simple Green into the machine along with my regular detergent when doing a load of MFs. It doesn`t seem to damage MFs in any way but at the same time I can`t really tell if it makes much of a positive difference either. :dunno

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff. Use it all the time.

2005 Chev Cavalier, Black
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Castrol - Super Clean. Thats what I use staight from the bottle and with no probs. Good for engine detail and the lithium grease in the door jams and hood hinges...even on aluminum. Just rinse right away, It don`t need to long to work.

2005 Chev Cavalier, Black
    Post Thanks / Like

of course you still have to polish your aluminum and wheels afterwards...like you would

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem with SG whether I wash the engine, wheels, or interior. I use it 50/50 and 100%. Castrol Super Clean I had it stain paint on a SS car before so that made me quick using it. One of the strongest things Ive used.

Post Thanks / Like

Any one of these high alkaline cleaners aren`t going to be good for paint. I`d do everything I can to ensure contact with the finish is impossible. I`m a long time Castrol Super Clean user too. I take all the pre cautions not get it near paint. I use it mainly for undercarriages and wheel wells if they call for pretty powerful stuff. I use it around the garage religiously as well. I also never use anything like it in the interior.Too powerful for my tastes in any dilution. I would use dedicated product for stuff like carpet or upholstery.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information