Hybrid View

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Paint (compounds, Polishes, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3 View Post
    I am starting with 320 wet, 400 wet, 600 wet, 1000 wet, 2000 wet

I put on a lot of clear to make sure I had plenty to sand down (first time painting a car). And I got a few minor runs in the clear, so I was getting good results from starting with 320 wet.

The pads I currently have are the Orange, Blue and Black
    Congratulations on painting your car !! That is a big deal !

Assume you are using a good, flat, rubber Block, right ??

How smooth was the car after your last wet clear coat ??

Keep the water flowing the whole time if possible to help speed up your process and keep the panel and paper clean..

I just buy a cheap 1/2" hose, cut off the metal end and that way I can have it on the vehicle and not scratch it with the hose end..
    They sell these nice 6-12` hose extensions for a few bucks at H/Depot, etc..

Assume you have a Rotary ? How much experience with it ?

Your pads - what brand and how many of each ??

Do you have any wool/foam blend pads ? How many ?
    Good luck with this !
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Paint (compounds, Polishes, etc)

Thank you.

I wanted to do everything on this car knowing that it may not come out perfect, but I am not planning on it to be my only one, just the first one. And from what I have been told by people walking by (even paint/bodywork guys) they said I did a real good job for my first time painting a car.

Instead of the flat rubber block, I have been using one of those sanding foam sponges with the wetsand paper wrapped around it. I guess the block would be better, huh? I was just worried about it digging in too much.

The clear coats came out a bit wavy, which doesn`t bother me because I put on four coats of clear in case I had to do a lot of sanding. And I have worked on the drivers side fender and was able to get all of the waves out and now have a real nice smooth finish and shine.

Good tip on the hose, I was just soaking a rag and holding it over the area I was working in and squeezing out as I go.

I used my DA (Porter Gable) to polish the paint on my last car to remove all of the swirls in the "black" paint. And that came out great, but that was my first time using it. So I wouldn`t say I am a pro by any means, but I have some positive experience with it.

Pads, I have no idea what brand, but I only have one of each.

And wool/foam blend pads, no, none.

I was using my neighbors high speed polisher and wool pad for the drivers fender and it really brought out the shine. But I wasn`t sure if the foam pads would be better. He was telling me the wool pad and high speed polisher is better for the cutting/compounding to bring out the shine.

Btw, I did fine with the high speed polisher also. No burns or anything like that. He showed me how to hold it and move it along to avoid burn mark`s

Thread Information