Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much should a typical 2 step cost?

The minute you said the he was trying to negotiate, I would have walked away.

YOu know what you`re worth. The minute you get known to negotiate, you got a problem. Either your prices are too high, or your quality ain`t that good, or you`re a chiseler. (none of those are good for a rep)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I now know that about Audi paint being so hard. The Mercedes I did a week ago had very hard paint too and I had a hard time getting any correction at all with it. Of course my prices reflect my experience and skills as of now.

I was borderline insulted by this guy when he started trying to talk me down. He just kept saying "this other shop has been around 20 years" acting like I have something to prove to him.

I can kinda tell that this is going to happen since I`m trying to bring a higher level of detailing into my area.At this point in time I wwouldn`t even consider this other shop competition since what I`m trying to accomplish is on a whole different level than them. I say try because that`s the ultimate goal. As of now my tools, skills and experience are not up there. But that comes with time and as I progress my prices will change.

I appreciate your input everyone. This forum has been probably my most valuable resource when it comes to getting my business going

Post Thanks / Like

As long as your on this board your MILES ahead of the locals...

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I did my first Audi 3 weeks ago (A7) and my second last week (S7) . Cool cars with beautiful interiors and extremely hard paint. The S7 had a special order interior with a suede headliner. If I knew how hard the paint was going into it I would of charged at least $100 more when I first quoted them. Took me 8-10 hours just to polish them.
    Wow ! Beautiful Leather !

I am sure you took those cars to Stunning !

Yeah, German Cars = Hard Paint - except for BMW Jet Black -

This is why I am so happy to use Rotary Power everytime I go out there..

I think Audi has the best All Around Dash design, layout, seats, materials used throughout, and durability..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I did my first Audi 3 weeks ago (A7) and my second last week (S7) . Cool cars with beautiful interiors and extremely hard paint. The S7 had a special order interior with a suede headliner. If I knew how hard the paint was going into it I would of charged at least $100 more when I first quoted them. Took me 8-10 hours just to polish them.
    My $VW$ (audi) had dark blue metallic. it was worse to polish than bmw jb

there are still some shots/threads here
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been debating getting a rotary... but the safety of a flex or rupes polisher sounds so much better. Not that I don`t want to learn to use a rotary some day, but it seems that a lot of work can be done with a flex 3401 or rupes. Only problem I have now is deciding which one. I can`t decide between the flex or rupes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Glad I now know that about Audi paint being so hard. The Mercedes I did a week ago had very hard paint too and I had a hard time getting any correction at all with it. Of course my prices reflect my experience and skills as of now.

I was borderline insulted by this guy when he started trying to talk me down. He just kept saying "this other shop has been around 20 years" acting like I have something to prove to him.

I can kinda tell that this is going to happen since I`m trying to bring a higher level of detailing into my area.At this point in time I wwouldn`t even consider this other shop competition since what I`m trying to accomplish is on a whole different level than them. I say try because that`s the ultimate goal. As of now my tools, skills and experience are not up there. But that comes with time and as I progress my prices will change.

I appreciate your input everyone. This forum has been probably my most valuable resource when it comes to getting my business going

If he kept saying, "the other shop this, the other shop that". It sounds like he already had his mind made up where he was going.

I believe both Audi and Mercedes have the same type of ceramic clear coats. It wasn`t until after I did the two Audi`s that I came across an article/thread on AGO from Mike Phillips on why to be carful with ceramic clears. I`ll try to dig for it and post a link for you. It was a ton of great info. I remember correctly it was something about those clears that make them super hard/thin? I`ll find it...

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Wow ! Beautiful Leather !

I am sure you took those cars to Stunning !

Yeah, German Cars = Hard Paint - except for BMW Jet Black -

This is why I am so happy to use Rotary Power everytime I go out there..

I think Audi has the best All Around Dash design, layout, seats, materials used throughout, and durability..
    Dan F

The interior of that car was just as, if not more beautiful then the exterior. The leather, suede headliner and pillars were amazing! The only thing I wasn`t crazy about was the pop up screen. It just seemed out of place to me. Where BMW has it recessed into the dash, the Audi`s is just there on top.

I have tons of before photos and no after 👎. I get in a hurry at the end and want to be done. This is my greatest weakness lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    My $VW$ (audi) had dark blue metallic. it was worse to polish than bmw jb

there are still some shots/threads here

The S7 I did had a black metallic and you want to talk about a head ache.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been debating getting a rotary... but the safety of a flex or rupes polisher sounds so much better. Not that I don`t want to learn to use a rotary some day, but it seems that a lot of work can be done with a flex 3401 or rupes. Only problem I have now is deciding which one. I can`t decide between the flex or rupes

I would get a Rupes 21 and a 5" backing plate. I have a Flex 3401 and a Rupes Mini. I want a Rupes 21 next. It`s not that I don`t like the Flex, it just wears me out polishing a car with 6.5" pads.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I never use 6.5" pads unless its an Airplane or a big tall, flat Van..

The smaller backing plate and pads 1" smaller in diameter can get into more places than the larger pads..

And I have a spacer on the end of the Rotary as well, to further get closer without having the machine in the way..

You just have to be careful about the spinning spacer and make darn sure you do not touch anything with it, or you will be buying it..

The only people I see using the bigger pads are the guys in the automotive body shops, and they are usually wool, and very dirty...

Why do they use them ? They can cover a lot of area really fast, the new paint can take the abuse because its never been compounded before, and of yeah, the Swirls are On-the-House !!! Bonus !!! Score !!!

Well... I shouldn`t be so hard on them - I used to work at a few shops too...
    But, I never swirled anything because I was taught how to not swirl, and I really like perfectly clear, no defect paintwork..

I have watched people on Automotive Assembly Lines using air powered rotary machines and they never use big pads.. Just too much surface area to look after and it cant get into every spot like a smaller footprint can..

Any size pad can work though, you just have to adapt to it and make it happen !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Huh... He called me today and wants me to do it now so I have him scheduled for Sunday morning...

I`m giving him a bit of a good deal but he has talked to me about more work if I do a good job (which I`m not worried about). I`m using it as more of an experience than for the money because right now I value that. He did ask if I`d continue to give the same price for future vehicles and I easily talked him out of that idea. Simply put I told him I came down for this one to compete with the other shop. I`m fully confident that I will convince him that my level of work is worth the extra cost.

He had said that looking at my website the thing that sorta convinced him was the fact that I had mentioned that I have a passion for detailing. So put one in the W column for the website. Gonna proceed cautiously with this one but I`m very sure that he understands I have no problem denying the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh... He called me today and wants me to do it now so I have him scheduled for Sunday morning...

I`m giving him a bit of a good deal but he has talked to me about more work if I do a good job (which I`m not worried about). I`m using it as more of an experience than for the money because right now I value that. He did ask if I`d continue to give the same price for future vehicles and I easily talked him out of that idea. Simply put I told him I came down for this one to compete with the other shop. I`m fully confident that I will convince him that my level of work is worth the extra cost.

He had said that looking at my website the thing that sorta convinced him was the fact that I had mentioned that I have a passion for detailing. So put one in the W column for the website. Gonna proceed cautiously with this one but I`m very sure that he understands I have no problem denying the work.
    Nice! I know I`m a little late to this but just my 2 cents. When people try to haggle I assume that there was not enough value built when talking to the customers. With some sales practice you`ll get there. I can`t remember the last time someone got me to "discount". As for your original questions for a 2 step correction with wax and no coating it would easily be 1000+ Coating it would hit 1500+ and for a full correction "Please bring your blank check". That kind of work takes a lot of time! If you PM me your email I send you a copy of my "sales 101" as it pertains to detailers. It seem to help a lot of people

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link I was talking about: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html

Good luck on the detail. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Nice! I know I`m a little late to this but just my 2 cents. When people try to haggle I assume that there was not enough value built when talking to the customers. With some sales practice you`ll get there. I can`t remember the last time someone got me to "discount". As for your original questions for a 2 step correction with wax and no coating it would easily be 1000+ Coating it would hit 1500+ and for a full correction "Please bring your blank check". That kind of work takes a lot of time! If you PM me your email I send you a copy of my "sales 101" as it pertains to detailers. It seem to help a lot of people

Pm sent.... If you don`t mind, I`d like to read it. I always like to try and better myself in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link I was talking about: Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Good luck on the detail. 👍

Pm sent.... If you don`t mind, I`d like to read it. I always like to try and better myself in any way.
    Thanks! I`ll be sure to read over it

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is some excellent information. I wonder if I should share that post with the owner of this Audi and let it explain to him that the other shop going straight for a wool pad on a rotary would have been a bad idea.

You think I should share it with him? I`m assuming that this Audi has that clear coat on it. (Assuming but I`ll probably know for sure tomorrow)

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t show him this. But explain to him that as detailers you should be hired to do as little as possible to the vehicle. Now let me explain... If we are polishing and trying to make the car look better, a great detailer will try to remove as little paint as possible for it to look great. Reasons for that are pretty obvious to us, but for the customer they never really know. $190 for 8 hours, that`s less than $24 an hour. I don`t know about you but I would want to make more than that. That`s not to mention the materials used (polish, compound, wash, towels, clay etc). Granted those aren`t that expensive but they are not free. Not to mention being mobile and travel time being put into the mix. For a friend I will charge $200 for an interior and exterior cleaning. That will take care of 90% of customers and leave the vehicle looking almost new. If I was to pick a polisher that number is only going up. The interior and exterior alone will be 4 hours for most trucks and SUV`s, cars I will do for less. I have to agree with others, when you have to start arguing over price it`s time to walk away. Let us know how the detail goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information