Post Thanks / Like

buffer speed and pads for beginner is this ok?

I have a rotary milwaukee polisher with a 9 inch pad selectable speed
    Im using a black 3m perfect it polishing pad to do both compound work and polishing work. Ive done 5 cars so far ( all withing 3-5 years old no major damage just daily drivers all family cars ) and even with using the edges i dont think ive come across any holograms / swirls. (brown/red/white/silver/med light blue)

Now that Ive read more about pads / sizes im sure i shouldve bought a smaller baking plate and pad not to mention a different pad type.

since I am new i always use the buffer at a med speed setting with only a little buffer walk/wobble .. the question is by using the rotary at a lower speed still effective ? by using a polising pad with a compound is this a safe way not to burn the paint ? I know its not going to be as effective but since im working with paint thats not that bad to me it seems noticeably better. Would my results still be positive if i used a more aggressive pad or is there more room for error with a more aggressive pad and a inexperienced rotary user.

Im debating on selling my milwaukee for a porter cable DA and getting a small and med backing plate / pads... what do you think ?

I am doing this as a hobby so its only for personal cars/ family.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: buffer speed and pads for beginner is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by silver2kws6 View Post
    I have a rotary milwaukee polisher with a 9 inch pad selectable speed
    Im using a black 3m perfect it polishing pad to do both compound work and polishing work. Ive done 5 cars so far ( all withing 3-5 years old no major damage just daily drivers all family cars ) and even with using the edges i dont think ive come across any holograms / swirls. (brown/red/white/silver/med light blue)

Now that Ive read more about pads / sizes im sure i shouldve bought a smaller baking plate and pad not to mention a different pad type.

since I am new i always use the buffer at a med speed setting with only a little buffer walk/wobble .. the question is by using the rotary at a lower speed still effective ? by using a polising pad with a compound is this a safe way not to burn the paint ? I know its not going to be as effective but since im working with paint thats not that bad to me it seems noticeably better. Would my results still be positive if i used a more aggressive pad or is there more room for error with a more aggressive pad and a inexperienced rotary user.

Im debating on selling my milwaukee for a porter cable DA and getting a small and med backing plate / pads... what do you think ?

I am doing this as a hobby so its only for personal cars/ family.
    Generally speaking. You will want to keep your polisher between 800 -1200 rpm. The secret is firm pressure, slow arm speed and be gentle around the edges

Are you using 9" foam pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i use 9 inch 3m perfect it finishing polish pads even when using the 3m perfect it rubbing compound. Im going to get smaller pads and backing plate as ive gotten away with using the edges without issues but i dont want to risk it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silver2kws6 View Post
    Yes i use 9 inch 3m perfect it finishing polish pads even when using the 3m perfect it rubbing compound. Im going to get smaller pads and backing plate as ive gotten away with using the edges without issues but i dont want to risk it again.
    Sounds like a solid plan

Post Thanks / Like

Can you swap the backing plate on that model?

Post Thanks / Like

yes i have a 3m backing plate and one that came with it. the 3m one is slightly smaller and more flexible. I will try and get pictures soon so you can see what I am dealing with. The main problem is my current vehicle is a chevy Cruze and a smaller 3 inch plate pad combo would be alot better on the curves of the hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I will try and get some updated sun shots to show you the after effects. The paint was good to begin with but being 36k miles on the car almost 2 years old and always outside and in the Carolina sun it takes a beating in a short amount of time. I typically put the speed on a medium setting which might be around 1k rpms sice it goes up to 1750 apparently. I still think it might be worth selling for a DA polisher since this one is heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

A DA will make it much easier to get a swirl-free finish. However, if you plan on keeping the rotary for heavy-duty work, consider going to a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads for easier control and more options.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use it 1 time a year to use polishing compound and do the rest by hand. Maybe use the machine 2 times a year at most. Its hard to justify a DA when i use it that much but a new pad and plate sounds good. Would a 3 inch be too small are the smaller pads too difficult to control with a heavy machine ?

Thread Information