Post Thanks / Like

First Timer Detailing Questions

I am new to the board looking for some guidance in detailing my car. I apologize in advance for the long post.

First a little background information. I am 67 and retired with no background in detailing. In August 2013 I purchased my first Corvette. It is a Blade Silver Metallic 2012 Coupe with a transparent targa top. It is a daily driver and not a garage queen. Since purchasing I have added approximately 10,000 miles. Mileage is combination of local and highway. Several long road trips planned later this year. Car is garaged when not driven. Also looking to have a clear bra installed.

I had it detailed in August by a local mobile company. They washed and clayed before sealing with Opti-Coat 2.0. I have no basic routine for cleaning. If real dirty I wash it at one of those coin operated high pressure touch less washes. Regularly will clean with Adams Waterless Wash and touch up with Adams Quick Detailer.

I am looking for a quick and easy way to clean and keep the paint protected. I am not interested in spending hours maintaining the finish. I am on the Corvetteforums and got some recommendations from Glen E. Glen is also a member of this forum. His suggestion without knowing about the Opti-Coat was basically to wash with Dawn and clay, Duragloss rinseless wash, apply Blackfire Total Polish and Seal, optionally apply Blackfire Wet Diamond, and finish with Blackfire Crystal Seal. All of which sounds good to me. Based on this I have purchased the following products:

Griots HD 6" Polisher
    Pads:
    Lake Country Cool Wave White 6"
    Lake Country Cool Wave Blue 6"

Nanoskin Prep Sponge

Duragloss Rinseless Wash
    Black fire Total Polish and Seal
    Blackfire Wet Diamond
    Blackfire Crystal Seal

Couple of questions:

I am concerned about the Opti-Coat. I assume this needs to be removed. Will the Dawn and Nanoskin be sufficient?

Should I detail before installing the clear bra?

From what I have read I believe I can detail over the clear bra. Is that correct?

Since this is a daily driver do I need the Wet Diamond?

Any additional suggestions/recommendations is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Timer Detailing Questions

The Opti-Coat 2.0 is a "permanent" coating that is supposed to eliminate the need for ever sealing the car again (it`s not that old of a product, so I don`t know how permanent it is but it seems to be good for at least a couple of years). Why do you want to remove it? Do a search on this forum, advanced search "opti-coat" where opti-coat appears in the title of the thread (to narrow down the number of threads). You will learn a lot about the nuances of Opti-Coat.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, I did not know about the opti coat - don`t waste it, the guys here will tell you how to rejuvenate it..but my rinselss documents I sent you will work great with it....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Washing with Dawn should help rejuvenate your coating. If you`re not looking to spend a ton of time detailing your car a coating is the way to go. Applying anything over it is not going to be beneficial IMO

Got anymore questions? I`m feeling chatty tonite

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum -
    Congratulations on your new Corvette ! Bet it is beautiful !

Im an authorized Opti-Coat installer, and I also would ask why you would want to remove the coating?

It was designed I think 8-9 years ago to be permanent. It will (if applied correctly) protect your clearcoat for many years...

No products you apply over the top of it will stick very long.. In fact, if you notice, dirt doesnt really stick to it very well..

To remove it will require someone with appropriate skills, a Rotary Buffer, and a lot of hours, and this will take you back to paint that will need your attention..

You said you dont want to spend hours maintaining the finish, so I would advise you to keep the Opti-Coat on the paint.. It will keep the finish better protected for years..

I after doing dozens, finally did all our vehicles and my Black `09 Grand Cherokee is going on 3 years with the same coating, and all I ever have to do is wash it occasionally, dry it, and it still looks incredibly glossy and clear...

You can if you want to, perhaps apply a quick detailer after washing and drying or using it as an aid in drying if you want to..

There is a man on this Forum - The Driver - who is currently or has already just finished laboriously removing a coating that looked like Opti-Coat from a car... We are awaiting his feedback on how much fun that was... You can find his posts with a search on his username..

Yes, if you still want to remove it, you certainly can.. But please know it doesnt come off like all the other coatings, etc., the Dealership sells, etc., instead, this is a real, coating that is one of the first ones to hit the market and from what I hear, it is still going strong on test vehicles done many years ago...

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the responses.

Guess I should have spent a little more time researching Opti-Coat. The installer did not go into a lot of detail about the product other to say it would not require waxing. Was not aware of the permancy even after my looking at Optimum site. I just did not do enough digging! So it is definitely low maintenance and exactly what I want. Looks like all I need to do is the rinseless wash and QD.

Again thanks for all the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from another vette fan
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnfan View Post
    Thanks all for the responses.

Guess I should have spent a little more time researching Opti-Coat. The installer did not go into a lot of detail about the product other to say it would not require waxing. Was not aware of the permancy even after my looking at Optimum site. I just did not do enough digging! So it is definitely low maintenance and exactly what I want. Looks like all I need to do is the rinseless wash and QD.

Again thanks for all the feedback!
    If you hang around here long enough you will feel an urge to remove the coating. Best get out whilst you still have your sanity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Welcome from another vette fan
    I assume that is your `vette in the avatar. Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

I assume that is your `vette in the avatar. Nice!
    Yep. Plastic guns, plastic cars.

Thanks
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to the board looking for some guidance in detailing my car. I apologize in advance for the long post.

First a little background information. I am 67 and retired with no background in detailing. In August 2013 I purchased my first Corvette. It is a Blade Silver Metallic 2012 Coupe with a transparent targa top. It is a daily driver and not a garage queen. Since purchasing I have added approximately 10,000 miles. Mileage is combination of local and highway. Several long road trips planned later this year. Car is garaged when not driven. Also looking to have a clear bra installed.
    Welcome to the Forum, congrats on retirement and congrats on the Corvette!!!

I had it detailed in August by a local mobile company. They washed and clayed before sealing with Opti-Coat 2.0. I have no basic routine for cleaning. If real dirty I wash it at one of those coin operated high pressure touch less washes. Regularly will clean with Adams Waterless Wash and touch up with Adams Quick Detailer.
    If your Corvette was coated with Opti-Coat 2.0 it will be VERY easy to keep clean and you do not have to worry about protecting it!

I am looking for a quick and easy way to clean and keep the paint protected. I am not interested in spending hours maintaining the finish. I am on the Corvetteforums and got some recommendations from Glen E. Glen is also a member of this forum. His suggestion without knowing about the Opti-Coat was basically to wash with Dawn and clay, Duragloss rinseless wash, apply Blackfire Total Polish and Seal, optionally apply Blackfire Wet Diamond, and finish with Blackfire Crystal Seal. All of which sounds good to me. Based on this I have purchased the following products:
    If you are using Opti-Coat, I would suggest something much simpler. Use Optimum`s soap to wash and once every 6 months, wipe down with Optimum Car Wax (spray). That`s it.

I am concerned about the Opti-Coat. I assume this needs to be removed. Will the Dawn and Nanoskin be sufficient?
    No need to be concerned about it. It makes your life easier. Claying or dawn will not make a dent in it, neither will acids or alkaline stripper. The only way to remove Opti-Coat is to abrade it of the surface by polishing and/or compounding.

Should I detail before installing the clear bra?
    What are your exact goals for detailing it? At the very minimum, you want it very very clean.

From what I have read I believe I can detail over the clear bra. Is that correct?
    More or less.

Since this is a daily driver do I need the Wet Diamond?
    No, you have Opti-Coat.

Any additional suggestions/recommendations is appreciated.
    Yes. Leave the Opti Coat alone, it will provide the looks and protection for your paint, not to mention it will make your life much easier.

To maintain, wash with Optimum Car Soap and/or ONR. To maintain, you can, optionally, use Optimum Car Wax (spray).

Once a year, lightly clay the finish.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ken
    My pleasure Ken.

Thread Information