Post Thanks / Like

Delivery Truck - Worth it?

So I was contacted by a friend and asked if I would want to detail his work delivery truck. It was painted a couple months ago and he wants it polished and protected. Will the rivets/bolts rip pads to shreds? Or do you have to tape each on off? Or go straight over them? I really do not want to do it especially if it is gonna be a pain to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delivery Truck - Worth it?

In the words of a very smart man on here... Don`t make the juice if it ain`t worth the squeeze

Post Thanks / Like

Those step vans can be a nightmare. If you do it, understand that your in for a lot of work. I think you`ll be alright as far as the rivits go since its a repaint, but I wouldnt do much more than an AIO and maybe top it with HydrO2 or something. Your gonna spend a lot of time just getting polish residue cleaned up around each rivit though, so I hope patience is a quality you possess.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I think I am going to decline the job. I just do this for fun and this certainly does not look fun haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Those step vans can be a nightmare. If you do it, understand that your in for a lot of work. I think you`ll be alright as far as the rivits go since its a repaint, but I wouldnt do much more than an AIO and maybe top it with HydrO2 or something. Your gonna spend a lot of time just getting polish residue cleaned up around each rivit though, so I hope patience is a quality you possess.
    This is exactly my thought on it too. Apply a cleaner/wax product, something like BLACKFIRE TPnS is nice because it absorbs into the paint while it is worked, making residue cleanup around the rivets easier. Apply it with a foamed wool pad at low speed.

The reason to use a foamed wool pad is so that you avoid tearing the foam pads on the rivots, and you avoid burning through them.

You will likely never use this pad again (or for another similar job) so make sure to include that in the price.

Also, have very realistic expectations. Yes it is possible to get a near show car finish out of it, but this will require taping off each rivet, looks of wasted pads, and a HUGE amount of time.

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is hard or it is the 2 stage epoxy paint it will take alot to go thru the rivits. Usually there is a good amount of paint on the truck when they get painted. Usually. If it a fresh paint job, you shouldn`t have to do alot of hard polishing. It is a work truck. You can still make it look great with out killing yourself. You can go over the rivits without tearing the paint off. Just have to move a little faster. Look up the 97 Peterbuilt here. I did this truck thinking the same thing and the paint was shot and still didn`t burn the paint off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I think I would be in over my head with this. Plus I would need to order quite a few things to get the job done and I don`t think it would be worth it.

Thread Information