Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Buffer Pads

Hey all,
    First off just wanted to say how thankful I am to be a part of this forum! I have definitley caught the detailing bug within the past 3 months and I let the forums consume me when I`m not in school or work I am only 22 and really want to start doing detailing as a weekend hobby or way to earn some extra cash, as I have been detailing some friends cars over the past few weeks and they are amazed at the difference a good polish with a PC can do to paint. Alright enough blabbing so here`s to my original point, as my pads PC lake country pads get full of product is it ok to dilute some Simple Green in a bucket and let the pads soak in there and spray off after letting it sit, OR is the Snappy Clean solution the way to go? Just wanted a heads up before I attempt it because Simple Green I would assume would degrease the pads. And I just got my new Orange cutting pad to try with 105 on a hevily swirled Jeep so a picture thread to follow and see what everyone thinks of how well I`m doing so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Buffer Pads

I soak mine in a bucket with dish soap, then I knead them in the bottom of the sink with my fingers, using more dish soap working the product out. Then rinse until the water run clear...Press as much water out as possible, then I sandwich them in larger cotton towels and press flat..Then set in the sun to finish...Some of my pads are five plus years old and still look good as new
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I know some will scoul at this. I use 1 of 2 or both methods. One is the spray pad cleaner, let soak and the use the kitchen faucet sprayer to spray them out while wiping my fingers from the inside to the outside edge. Method 2, washing machine. Wash with my MF towels on delicate, take them out and set face down on towels or edge in a dish strainer.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The ideas posted here are all great..

For my needs, I wanted a good cleaner that would not foam all over the place, get all the compound out of the pads, rinse clean, and not weaken the pad backing at all.

After trying out several methods including a Lake Country Pad Cleaner in the 5 gallon bucket, I went back to where I started - 1 pack of Snappy Clean in a 5 gallon bucket with about 1.5-2 gallons of water, soak, knead them, rinse them out in the sink, dry, and they are good to go every time..

Everyone will have their own way of doing this and they will all work.. You just need to experiment if you want, and find the method that works best for you..

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    The Snappy Pad Cleaner never worked well for me. The BF Pad Cleaner is just awesome for polish removal. Expensive but worth it. To get wax 100% out of pads I use IPA & mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I will try out some of these methods for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Snappy clean packet
    Grit gaurd pad washer
    7 inch BP
    Rotary
    Speed setting to 1
    Turn on, hold for 30 seconds.

= Clean pad
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Thread Information