I do NOT have Mullet Dieselologist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dewaxing Before Swirl Removal??

I am new to using a DA Polisher for swirl removal/ paint correction. I own a bone stock 92 Z28, always garaged in the winter, except for last year when my teenage daughter totaled my DD, and the engine took a dump in my Suburban. The paint is original, and short of a few edges with the mid 90`s clearcoat flaking, is in very outstanding condition. I recently used a hand applicator to clean the paint with Meguiars #6, clayed the surface, then applied one coat of Meguiars NXT 2.0. The surface is smooth, and shiny, and I get compliments every weekend we take her out. My problem is the swirl marks, and of course some flaws in the factory paint that is 22 years old.
    I purchased a PC7424XP, and several pads, & Pinnacle XMT line of #1 & #3 Swirl remover, also the XMT Finishing Glaze through this sites store. My question is, do I need to dewax the surface, before I begin the process of swirl removal? I do not want to pack a pad with excessive wax residue and create more work for myself. Any input is appreciated.-Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dewaxing Before Swirl Removal??

I would, wax build up on your pads might cause you more problems than you need. Plus it might fill in the swirls making you think it`s corrected when really it`s not.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Addicted answered your ??

BUT BE VERY CAREFUL NEAR THOSE CC CRACKS/PEEL

Do those areas LAST

and be real gentle around em. they may/could peel/crack more and then your dragging them all over paint surface
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

I do NOT have Mullet Dieselologist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses. Went to eat dinner, and came back to the answers I thought were correct, and you guys helped me avoid jumping in because I want to play. I`m almost tempted to call in a vacation day tomorrow because the weekend is over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselologist View Post
    I appreciate the responses. Went to eat dinner, and came back to the answers I thought were correct, and you guys helped me avoid jumping in because I want to play. I`m almost tempted to call in a vacation day tomorrow because the weekend is over.
    welcome to the addiction
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on having such a nice car !

If you really want to improve the condition of the paintwork, it would be better to first wash carefully, with a soap strong enough to help remove the existing wax/products on the vehicle.

After washing, and rinsing, observe the paintwork. Is the water standing on the horizontal surfaces in a sheet and gradually rolling off? If so, you most likely have removed all or most traces of wax, and there will be no more beading on the surfaces.

Then, Claybar the entire vehicle very carefully, inspecting the surface frequently and either cleaning it with a claybar cleaner, or kneading it so you have a clean surface to use on the paint, as much as possible.

The Claybar will pretty much remove all the rest of the embedded dirt, wax, etc., off the paintwork and leave a really clean and smooth surface to now being to correct with your machine.

Thread Information