Post Thanks / Like

First Opti-Coat Questions

I just did my first application of OC2.0

I just had a couple problems. I watched a bunch of youtube videos, etc. and it all looks pretty straightforward.

I used the applicator pad provided in the box. While using it, it seemed to get grabby at times, and would almost want to catch and jump out of my hands (I had to pull a quick save a couple times as it tried to nose dive to the floor).

Would not having enough product on the pad cause this? I felt like I was using a little more product then what it generally calls for.

Also, what do you guys do about bugs? A small portion on the hood will have to be redone, as some bugs kept flying right where I was working. I did notice a couple small streaks that looked almost like scratches, so one of them must have gotten in between on this section.

Any help/advice is much appreciated, as I have a few family members wanting this done

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Opti-Coat Questions

If the applicator is grabby or squeaking you don`t have enough product.

For me the more product you use the better. In reality and contrary to what most guys will tell you; you should use around 8-10cc of product for a regular car. This is the same reason the pro only version comes with a warranty is a 10cc syringe and they say to use the entire tube per car.

I would wait at least a week before re-doing anything. OC actually takes approx 30 days to fully cure. I would just re-polish the panels needed and re-apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Not enough product.

I got this answer from Chris,
    Coupes, BRZ or FR-S: 6cc
    Sedans, BMW 5 series: ~8cc
    SUVs, 13 Honda Pilot: ~10cc

Basically wipe on heavy and watch for high spots

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a lot of opti coat recently and found the optional applicator sold by Optimum works well and lets the product stay on top of the foam. I also started getting great results after finding a you tube vid where the surface was wiped with a fresh tight weave MF 3-5 min after application...no high spots and great coverage...to give you an idea how much I use, I can do a roof with about 6-7 drops...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I was going off of the 2-4 drops per panel that I was seeing posted. A small section of the hood is the only place that needs to be re-done, so I will go back over it when I can get the car back. A 2x2 section shouldn`t take long at all.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickBlaine View Post
    OK, I was going off of the 2-4 drops per panel that I was seeing posted. A small section of the hood is the only place that needs to be re-done, so I will go back over it when I can get the car back. A 2x2 section shouldn`t take long at all.
    Hey Nick I`m a pro installer and IMO you should redo the whole hood. I just had this conversation because a 2013 Cayenne I coated had a run in with a garage and I had to polish the scratches in a small area. After this I washed it and and saw the the beading was not there anymore on the area I polished. I tried to re coat the area after an IPA, week later car came back for a wash and it didn`t take. So i had to completely polish out the whole door and reapply, saw it yesterday and its all good. The grabby thing is not enough product or you making to many over lapping passes and its starting to get tacky. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jsmooth. I didn`t think about it not taking the same if I redid half of it. Thanks for one less headache!

Thread Information