Post Thanks / Like

How to properly use a quick detailer

What are the proper uses for a quick detailer? I keep a bottle mixed up with BFRW mixed 1:10 but don`t really know how to use it? I do use it to mist each panel when I am doing a rinseless wash for some extra lubricity, but that`s about the extent of what I have used it for (and cleaning up one-off bird bombs).

One question would be: can it be used for a full car wipedown...say if it is just dirty or covered in pollen? If so, how would I do that to avoid scratching? I have 530 gsm MF towels.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to properly use a quick detailer

The trouble is that `quick detailer` is a loose term, there is a vast difference between different QDs. I am guessing you have a rinseless wash, something which should have good lubrication but just how it dries I cannot say. You can test it, spray and spread and let it dry - does it dry evenly or do you get a bit of residue? If the latter, you will need to keep buffing when you first apply until it is dry. This same problem occurs when you have a QD which is in fact a wax - you really need to buff to dry or alternatively let them haze and buff over later (which beats the `quick` description!). This can also apply to some non-wax based products and will generally be indicative of a bit of longer term protection being present. In fact my experience is that the least common QD is the WOWA type. To my mind, these should be core of QDs, products which do not need buffed to a dry finish, products which basically do no smear and are genuinely `quick`.

Post Thanks / Like

QD`s are great for light dust, light pollen and finger prints. I use my QD`s for a quick wipe down after driving to a car show before showing my car and also after it sits out all day at the show when I get home to get the dust and pollen off from being outside. I also use the one with Carnauba in it after I wash my cars just as a final wipe.
    I am living proof that Organ Donation Saves lives.
    3-25-11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
    QD`s are great for light dust, light pollen and finger prints. I use my QD`s for a quick wipe down after driving to a car show before showing my car and also after it sits out all day at the show when I get home to get the dust and pollen off from being outside. I also use the one with Carnauba in it after I wash my cars just as a final wipe.
    So is the trick just to mist the entire panel and wipe down like in one straight line (for example, on the hood, mist half the panel wipe from windshield to grille in slightly overlapping straight lines) and then once the dust and pollen have been removed, do a buffing motion on that panel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    So is the trick just to mist the entire panel and wipe down like in one straight line (for example, on the hood, mist half the panel wipe from windshield to grille in slightly overlapping straight lines) and then once the dust and pollen have been removed, do a buffing motion on that panel?
    That sounds like a good technique. Always remember if it is too dirty, just wash it. Nothing is as good as a regular wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Each "quick detailer" is going to be different depending on the brand. In general you would mist the panel, wipe with one side of the towel to pick up any dust or dirt, then switch to a fresh side of the towel to dry a streak-free finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am using BF WDRW diluted 1:10. Definitely wouldn`t use if there was ANY dirt (if it had rained, etc). Just looking to clean up dust and pollen between washes...hate that haze dust and pollen inflicts on the underlying shine! Most people that see my car wouldn`t even notice but I am becoming a gloss nerd!!

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. It`s definitely a blurry line on when to use what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with pollen when using WW`s and QD`s. I think I remember something about how it attaches to paint. It can easily marr the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, found it. It`s not just about how pollen attaches. It`s what it looks like! It`s full of points and jagged edges. Something I don`t want to drag across my paint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371572180.797346.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Ok, found it. It`s not just about how pollen attaches. It`s what it looks like! It`s full of points and jagged edges. Something I don`t want to drag across my paint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371572180.797346.jpg

Ouch when you put it that way I can`t imagine dragging that over a car, better just to sheet it off with water than dry.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a waterless wash product, does it make any sense to go over with a QD afterwards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    Ouch when you put it that way I can`t imagine dragging that over a car, better just to sheet it off with water than dry.
    Lol. Kind of scary isn`t it? I think during pollen season it`s just better to stick with a regular wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavin View Post
    If you use a waterless wash product, does it make any sense to go over with a QD afterwards?
    I usually do just because most WW`s end up leaving streaks.

Thread Information