Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Is this clear coat failure or oxidation?

So I just noticed a large spot on the roof of my car today and I am not sure if it is clear coat failure or oxidation. As far as I can remember, during my second to last car wash this spot was not present and that was only about 3 weeks ago. I took my car yesterday to a brushless automatic car wash because I knew I wouldn`t have time for about another month or more to wash it again by hand as I prefer. I am really irritated because I am very meticulous about my paint condition, I typically polish the paint once a year since I bought it new. My car is 4.5 years old and has 100k miles on it at the moment. I thought it was something that may have just dried on the paint from the wash yesterday but after a quick hit with M205 and a hand applicator, nothing has changed. I plan on doing a full detail again in July if scheduling is right.

Here is a photo of the spot, it was very hard to show up like I see in person. I circled it in red to show the general area, if you look closely, you will see a lighter spot that goes from the sunroof out to near the edge of the roof. No other spots are present anywhere else on my car. The car was in an accident about 3.5 years ago where the rear quarter panel on that side had to be replaced and repainted, but I don`t know if they did anything to that side of the roof. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this clear coat failure or oxidation?

Looks like Oxidation. But hard to tell from the pic. Any chance you can get a close up of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Looks like Oxidation. But hard to tell from the pic. Any chance you can get a close up of it?
    Thanks for the response, I tried to get a close up but the metallic totally hides the imperfection. I also noticed that it is only visible when the sun is shining on that area. If it isn`t, then its still glossy and doesn`t look like anything is wrong with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Probably one of those you could work backwards by hand if you have the right applicators, (or a DA) to see what happens. Maybe start with a polish/cleaner like BF TPnS or similar and see what that does. If nothing, then try Megs UC or BF SRCC? If that doesn`t work...I don`t know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Probably one of those you could work backwards by hand if you have the right applicators, (or a DA) to see what happens. Maybe start with a polish/cleaner like BF TPnS or similar and see what that does. If nothing, then try Megs UC or BF SRCC? If that doesn`t work...I don`t know?
    Okay thank you for the response, looks like I will use my DA and try to fix it. I`ll post back in a couple hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Just fixed the spot, thank you for your guys help.

Pictures:

Post Thanks / Like

looks better

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad I could help!!! Even happier it worked!! Your sure brave listening to me because I`m crazy

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be a joy kill but it looks like someone did a poor paint job and spotted that area in with a blend. It most likely will come back in a couple months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Glad I could help!!! Even happier it worked!! Your sure brave listening to me because I`m crazy
    Haha, I am not typically afraid to try anything on a car if it sounds reasonable. Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    I hate to be a joy kill but it looks like someone did a poor paint job and spotted that area in with a blend. It most likely will come back in a couple months.
    I am not going to doubt this to be honest. But would it have been noticeable when I first got the paint job done?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by staro0989 View Post
    I am not going to doubt this to be honest. But would it have been noticeable when I first got the paint job done?
    When blends are first done they arent as noticable, as time wears on you can see the edges more, especially on a horizontal surface where blends really shouldnt be done.

I can also see a distint color difference.

But it looks much better so hopefully you can maintain that look for a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    When blends are first done they arent as noticable, as time wears on you can see the edges more, especially on a horizontal surface where blends really shouldnt be done.

I can also see a distint color difference.

But it looks much better so hopefully you can maintain that look for a time.
    Could you possibly point out the color difference you see? I look in person and I can`t even tell. lol Maybe its the metallic that hides the color difference when I`m looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by staro0989 View Post
    Could you possibly point out the color difference you see? I look in person and I can`t even tell. lol Maybe its the metallic that hides the color difference when I`m looking.
    It`s what you see that counts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information