Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Frequency

Looking for some advice on how often to polish my car. I was thinking ever spring, but I`m not sure if that is too often, or not often anough.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by korg60 View Post
    Looking for some advice on how often to polish my car. I was thinking ever spring, but I`m not sure if that is too often, or not often anough.
    Welcome to the forums.

The question is how is the car stored, garage, outside etc. Weather conditions and how are you washing the car, meaning by hand or automatic car wash places.

General rule for me, twice a year...spring and fall prep...my cars are garage queens and I live in CA where the weather is not that bad.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

The question is how is the car stored, garage, outside etc. Weather conditions and how are you washing the car, meaning by hand or automatic car wash places.

General rule for me, twice a year...spring and fall prep...my cars are garage queens and I live in CA where the weather is not that bad.
    I can agree with rice a year. I`m in the Pittsburgh area so come time for winter I like to have my truck and cars polished and sealed for the winter months. Then, come time for spring I like to get all that rock salt off and get my paint looking fresh again.

Another key will be weekly maintenance like washing and quick detailing to keeping the paint looking its best.
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutopiaForums!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to AF. it really depends on the condition of your paint. do you have swirls and scratches that you want to remove or just reduce the appearance of them ? is your paint coating getting thin ?(you may want to use a non abrasive gloss enhancing polish like bfgep instead.) my ride is kept inside, so once i get the finish looking good, it`s easy to maintain throughout the year without a lot of effort.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopiaforums korg60, I had always recommend twice a year ( spring and fall ) to keep it looking great and protected from the elements.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing I like to keep to a minimum, but I like using a glaze to jewel over the paint at least once a month. Not too sure if that is recommended though, its not abrasive so I don`t really see an issue with that

Post Thanks / Like

I polished my Mazdaspeed once, when I first bought it. There is some light marks here and there (mild marks) but not enough to warrant repolishing. If you are careful how you wash your car and take care not to scratch it, you can go a pretty long time without polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All,
    I bought the car new 2 years ago, and have kept it in more or less perfect condition, and in the garage. Last spring I did a major detailing, and it`s still in great shape. I was just not sure how often to polish, and thought it might be too much wear and tear on the pain.
    Thanks for all the input - 2 more weeks, and I`ll be doing a full detail. I`ll probably need to buy all the products again, I`m sure that don`t last kept in the bottles

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the goal was to polish your car (with an abrasive product of some level) to get the finish in tip top shape, then protect it with whatever LSP you like and use good wash technique to maintain it so as not to introduce additional marring. Every time you polish (using even a mildly abrasive product) aren`t you removing some level of clear coat? Something you don`t want to do on a regular bases, I would think.

If by "polishing" you mean waxing or applying a sealant then the answer is different--do that to your hearts content.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The real question is how much can you tolerate looking at the paint if it is all scratched, swirled, etc. tree sap, etc.. before you have to remove it all and start over?

Unless you are hammering your paint with heavy duty compounds on a rotary, it will take years to remove all your paint. I rotary polish all the time and barely remove even part of 1 micron ever.

Once you get the level of correction you want - (how clear is the paint when you look at it in the sun), then put on a good sealer, not a wax, because they dont last very long, and you should be ok, as long as you wash it carefully and try not to re-introduce swirls, scratches, etc. again..

This is a great Site to get perfect information and they have awesome products and advice here..

Good luck
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

How much clear does a finishing polish take off? Just a estimate. Is it enough if you did say a polish every 4-6 months that it would be noticeable after 3-5 years? Or is it pretty safe to polish as long as its not tough compounding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by korg60 View Post
    Thanks All,
    I bought the car new 2 years ago, and have kept it in more or less perfect condition, and in the garage. Last spring I did a major detailing, and it`s still in great shape. I was just not sure how often to polish, and thought it might be too much wear and tear on the pain.
    Thanks for all the input - 2 more weeks, and I`ll be doing a full detail. I`ll probably need to buy all the products again, I`m sure that don`t last kept in the bottles
    Many products will last indefinately in the right environment. Just remember to shake well.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I think it needs it. No time frame sorry.

As someone else said, depends on condition.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information