Post Thanks / Like

Looking for some advice

Hi Guys,

New here and was wondering what other products I should look into getting. I have pretty much been using Griots Garage products for the past 2 years that I bought off Amazon. I am out of all the stuff I bought and looking to re-up with something new. I am new to paint correction and have begun to buy a few random things here and there. So far this is my current "arsenal"

GG 6" DA
    GG 6" orange pad
    GG 6" red pad
    This GG kit: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11131-Starter-Care/dp/B003V3PZIK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1366959754&sr=8-5&keywords=griots+garage]Griot`s Garage 11131 Starter Car Care Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Pinnacle XMT 360
    Pinnacle Intermediate Swirl remover 1,2 & 3
    Klasse Sealant Glaze
    Also this LC 4" spot buff kit CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit
    Cheap micro fiber wash mitt
    Absorber synthetic chamois

I kind of just bought everything without really knowing what I was buying. So, could you guys help me out with steps of how I would use the stuff I have for paint correction? Any recommendations on different products or things I should add? I also have a million wiper marks on windshield, is there any product for this? Thanks in advance! Sorry for the million questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for some advice

I didn`t see any machine polishes in your arsenal? Do you want to stick with Griot`s when it comes to machine polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

You have a good polisher, now I would dive into the MF pad world if I were you, makes live a lot easier. Megs MF cutting pads will take care of your correction and cutting needs, along with some D300, M105, and/or M101. D300 will handle the majority of the situations you are likely to come across. Menz PO85RD is still my favorite finishing polish, but M205 has it`s place as well as a mid-tier polish. The foam pads I prefer are the LC H20 pads, all three colors are excellent.

I would also look into getting some ONR to simplify the washing process. Get some DG 105 for a long lasting sealant or Collinite 915 for a long lasting wax, and you should be good to go. KAIO also is an excellent AIO with great chemical cleaning ability, and of course top that with the SG that you already have.

I would avoid "kits" as they are usually filled with house products, as you can find better products on their own.

Definitely throw away that Chamois and use quality MF towels, they make a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sublime600 View Post
    Pinnacle Intermediate Swirl remover 1,2 & 3
    Did you get these polishes?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I didn`t see any machine polishes in your arsenal? Do you want to stick with Griot`s when it comes to machine polishing?
    No I am open to any/all brands that anyone recommends. I am all ears

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    You have a good polisher, now I would dive into the MF pad world if I were you, makes live a lot easier. Megs MF cutting pads will take care of your correction and cutting needs, along with some D300, M105, and/or M101. D300 will handle the majority of the situations you are likely to come across. Menz PO85RD is still my favorite finishing polish, but M205 has it`s place as well as a mid-tier polish. The foam pads I prefer are the LC H20 pads, all three colors are excellent.

I would also look into getting some ONR to simplify the washing process. Get some DG 105 for a long lasting sealant or Collinite 915 for a long lasting wax, and you should be good to go. KAIO also is an excellent AIO with great chemical cleaning ability, and of course top that with the SG that you already have.

I would avoid "kits" as they are usually filled with house products, as you can find better products on their own.

Definitely throw away that Chamois and use quality MF towels, they make a big difference.
    Thanks for the advice! I was not able to find the meg MF pads you are talking about. I did however find LC microfiber pads are these the same quality? I usually would avoid the kit but I was able to get it for 15 bucks when Amazon had a sale on it. I am awaiting AG or autopia to have a sale so I can stock up on some MF towels to ditch the crappy chamois. Do you prefer caranuba wax then the SG on top of that? If I was able to get all the things you posted would this be the process:
    -Wash/Dry
    -M105/M101 with MF pad
    -Menz PO85RD orange pad or lower?
    -DG105 sealant
    - SG on top to finish

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Did you get these polishes?
    Yes, I do have the Pinnacle 1,2,3 swirl remover. It seems as the choice between everyone from reading posts is the M105.

Not sure if the color of cars matter, but Flamenco Red and Silver are the two cars I will be doing regularly. Hopefully, with the help of the forums I will move on to family cars.

Thanks for all the help! This forum is fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot`s polisher can do the job and you have the Pinnacle polishes so can do something.

XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3
    XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
    XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1

XMT#3 is moderate polish (never used it) so M105 or Ultimate Compound would give you more cut but what you have will do something. It just may not get the results you want.

Do you just have 2 foam pads: 1 orange, 1 red?

The problem with some kits they do not include enough pads especially polishing pads. Pads need to be cleaned and this slows you down so spare pads is a must.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sublime600 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I was not able to find the meg MF pads you are talking about. I did however find LC microfiber pads are these the same quality? I usually would avoid the kit but I was able to get it for 15 bucks when Amazon had a sale on it. I am awaiting AG or autopia to have a sale so I can stock up on some MF towels to ditch the crappy chamois. Do you prefer caranuba wax then the SG on top of that? If I was able to get all the things you posted would this be the process:
    -Wash/Dry
    -M105/M101 with MF pad
    -Menz PO85RD orange pad or lower?
    -DG105 sealant
    - SG on top to finish
    First off, you always want to apply a sealant first, then a wax on top, if you want to, but never the other way around. Go to Sam`s and buy a couple packs of their ProForce MF towels, they are plenty good and very cheap, but don`t ever use a chamois again if you don`t like marring.

In order to come to a conclusion as to what you use, you have to evaluate what is needed and wanted first. Don`t just use M105/M101 and a MF pad every time, on every car, it may not need it. If it does need it, I would also suggest getting some D300 to go along with the MF pads instead of the 105 or 101, it`s a little less cut but it finishes out very nicely on most paints and very user friendly. The PO85RD I like to use with a finishing pad, so with H20 pads, that would be the crimson pad (my favorite finishing pad btw).

After the compounding and polishing, you have to decide on a sealant or a wax, I prefer sealants as they last much longer, typically. DG105 is great on it`s own, but you can top with a wax if you like. I wouldn`t top DG105 with SG as they are both sealants and SG is best suited to top KAIO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The Griot`s polisher can do the job and you have the Pinnacle polishes so can do something.

XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3
    XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
    XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1

XMT#3 is moderate polish (never used it) so M105 or Ultimate Compound would give you more cut but what you have will do something. It just may not get the results you want.

Do you just have 2 foam pads: 1 orange, 1 red?

The problem with some kits they do not include enough pads especially polishing pads. Pads need to be cleaned and this slows you down so spare pads is a must.

Yeah, I only have the two pads for now. Reading through the forum seems I should pick up 5.5" pads instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    First off, you always want to apply a sealant first, then a wax on top, if you want to, but never the other way around. Go to Sam`s and buy a couple packs of their ProForce MF towels, they are plenty good and very cheap, but don`t ever use a chamois again if you don`t like marring.

In order to come to a conclusion as to what you use, you have to evaluate what is needed and wanted first. Don`t just use M105/M101 and a MF pad every time, on every car, it may not need it. If it does need it, I would also suggest getting some D300 to go along with the MF pads instead of the 105 or 101, it`s a little less cut but it finishes out very nicely on most paints and very user friendly. The PO85RD I like to use with a finishing pad, so with H20 pads, that would be the crimson pad (my favorite finishing pad btw).

After the compounding and polishing, you have to decide on a sealant or a wax, I prefer sealants as they last much longer, typically. DG105 is great on it`s own, but you can top with a wax if you like. I wouldn`t top DG105 with SG as they are both sealants and SG is best suited to top KAIO.
    Ok, Thanks for that info! Are these the pads you are referring to: Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, compounding discs, cutting pads
    Also, what is the benefit of the "dimples" in the LC ccs pads vs. H20 pads? I will most likely pick up a 5" back plate and 5.5" pads as the one that came with DA is a 6". I will check out Sam`s club for those MF towels. I do know that there are plenty of swirl marks now in the sun. Also, a pretty nasty looking set of scratches on my hood. I am hoping to be able to work those out with the MF pads. Do you suggest buying the finishing Meg MF pads or just get the cutting pads. Also, do you use the bonding agent with the DG105? Again, thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

MY preference would before quality microfiber towels. A lot for the store bought ones will work well (and are soft) until you wash them. In my experience, once they are washed they quickly stiffen up and and quickly regulated to wheel and interior use.

As far as pads, 5.5 inch pads will increase the polishing power and thus the speed in which you can work. There is a lot of good advice in this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    MY preference would before quality microfiber towels. A lot for the store bought ones will work well (and are soft) until you wash them. In my experience, once they are washed they quickly stiffen up and and quickly regulated to wheel and interior use.

As far as pads, 5.5 inch pads will increase the polishing power and thus the speed in which you can work. There is a lot of good advice in this thread!

Ok, I will probably pick up one of the Cobra waffle weave MF towel for drying. Maybe a few other plush towels for polishing and waxing. Has anyone ever tried the glass MF pads on the windshield? I have watched Show Car Garage videos are these the methods generally everyone uses?Any other insider methods/tips? Probably, placing an order today for the things that were recommended. Hopefully, in a few weeks I will have pics with success/failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys
    So I bought the MF buffing pads, LC 5.5" pads, MF towels and D300. I also picked up Collinite 845 wax. I am looking to do my car this weekend. Can I do the Klasse sealant first let it set up then put the Collinite on top of that? So correct me if Im wrong this would be my method after washing

MF pads with D300
    then apply Klasse Sealant set for 12hrs
    final apply Collinte 845.

Should there be a step in between application of D300 and SG?

Post Thanks / Like

you may need a finishing polish with a polishing pad after the compounding before your sealant and wax. i`d do a test spot first starting with a less aggressive polish which may be enough to clean up your swirls, then go heavier if you need to. having extra pads is really nice so you don`t have to stop and clean them so much when you start working. don`t forget to have fun.

Thread Information