Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tips for Making Detailing Less Miserable & More Fun

Dear Friends

Despite having spent over US$2500 on detailing supplies and tools, I still don`t enjoy the actual work of detailing our cars. It`s hard physical work. I do it because my wife and I spent about US$76,000 on two vehicles and I want the best possible experience in owning and driving these vehicles.

It could be that many other forum regulars and lurkers feel this way, too.

Maybe a list of tips for making detailing less miserable and more fun would be a good resource for people visiting the forum.

I`ll start. (I know nothing compared to most of you, so feel free to delete any suggestion I have in your contributions.)

• Wear a headband to catch perspiration. Not fighting perspiration will save energy and the feeling that you`re doing something strenuous.
    • Get all of your brushes, buckets, nozzles, towels, hose blockers, and other supplies and tools ready before you begin washing.
    • Play music. That alone will make detailing at least one notch less miserable.
    • If you have a large vehicle, consider using a wash mop instead of a mitt to save time and energy.
    • If you use the two-bucket method, invest in a double-bucket dolly. Rolling instead of lifting, and one bucket is always with the other. You may get away with a single bucket if you use a foam gun or foam cannon to apply your soap solution.
    • Tape your trim before polishing or waxing your car. Taping takes a little time and money, but if you`ve ever tried to get wax off of textured trim, you`ll agree that`s time and money well spent.
    • Before pulling out a waffle weave towel or powering up your Master Blaster to dry your vehicle, "dry" it with water: flood your vehicle`s panels with a low-pressure, high-volume stream of water.

That`s all I have. I look forward to seeing what you detailing veterans and gurus add to (or delete from) my suggestions.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips for Making Detailing Less Miserable & More Fun

Great thread!

The only thing I can think of right now is start the day with your favorite caffeine drink!

Post Thanks / Like

comfortable shoes ! in the heat- moisture wicking, dri fit types of clothing and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

Post Thanks / Like

For the DIYer I recommend not trying to tackle too much at one time. Just like working in sections for polishing, break down the car into small 1 hour increments. It is very easy to get bored or fatigued and start short cutting anyway. Once you get the car where you want it you can then simply focus on maintaining it.

Detailing your daily driver is likely to not be as satisfying as detailing your garage queen. The daily driver will seem more like work while the garage queen will feel more like a hobby.

As a side note: detailing looks like a fun job. It isn`t until people actually spend 8+ hours working on a car that they appreciate the work detailers do and understand why it isn`t cheap. Ultimately, you probably would have gotten more enjoyment from paying to have the cars done right without the time commitment. All the pride without the sweat.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, take your time when polishing or doing many detailing tasks.

If you are working against the clock, you will likely get less than possible results. If one is not used to it, take several days. There is no crime to stop, rewash if necessary, and continue another day.

Tape trim, vents, etc. to prevent more issues later.

Get a good inspection light to check all aspects (missed spots from buffing, etc.) if you work in a dark garage.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

use a tornado on the interiors. i am looking for the fountain of youth and failing miserably

Post Thanks / Like

Darn right detailing is hard work but if you don`t like to DIY you are better off paying someone to do it. I think the only thing I can add is that you have to like doing it because it is your pride and joy and to me the reward in the end that I get knowing that it was me that made it look like that is all it takes.

Tip: If polishing and/or waxing find a small stool for the lower parts of the vehicle so you are not bending over all the time. I have a homemade platform on 4 castor wheels that I scoot around the car with. I even purchased a boat seat to mount to it to make it more comfortable.

Mine is my DD and even though it seems like a chore to keep the black clean but in the end I am a happy camper when I am done and see the results of my effort.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    comfortable shoes ! in the heat- moisture wicking, dri fit types of clothing and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
    Dear Steve

Moisture-wicking? Is that a special kind of shirt? My wife buys me cheap T-shirts from Kohl`s for about US$5 each. I think they`re mostly cotton. Is a moisture-wicking shirt something different?

My sandals are Ecco brand and have a wetsuit-like material covering the soles. Is that okay? They seem comfortable enough, but I usually ditch shoes altogether if I waxing/sealing wheels.
    —  Jaddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Yes, take your time when polishing or doing many detailing tasks.

If you are working against the clock, you will likely get less than possible results. If one is not used to it, take several days. There is no crime to stop, rewash if necessary, and continue another day.

Tape trim, vents, etc. to prevent more issues later.

Get a good inspection light to check all aspects (missed spots from buffing, etc.) if you work in a dark garage.
    Dear Al

I`ve worked against the clock since I began this journey in October 2011. I wanted to figure out how to wash our van (and dry it) in less than thirty minutes. I`ve never come close. I`ve done it in about an hour and ten minutes before, but I was exhausted, soaked, and frazzled at the end. If I take my time, it takes me nearly two hours from the time I start setting everything out until I have the brushes washed out and everything put back up.

I attended one of the Junkman`s seminars here in Atlanta and was disappointed to learn that he spends at least two hours washing his Corvette, three if he "does it right," two to three times a week. I`d hoped to learn the secret to my thirty-minute van wash at the seminar. Of course I came home a little discouraged.

My father-in-law put four two-tube fluorescent fixtures over our van and I still rely on a bright flashlight to check my work. I`m aware of the importance of good light and should have included that in my original list. I believe I need four more lights overhead and an array of them on the sides, front, and rear. Maybe one day...

Thanks for responding.
    —  Jaddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    If polishing and/or waxing find a small stool for the lower parts of the vehicle so you are not bending over all the time. I have a homemade platform on 4 castor wheels that I scoot around the car with. I even purchased a boat seat to mount to it to make it more comfortable.
    Dear Dean

My wife bought an inexpensive Torin-brand rolling stool for our photography studio, but I`ve used it much more for detailing.

I can easily envision what you made for yourself. I thought about trying that, too, because I have two unused (but twenty-five years old) boat seats to use. I believe PBMG sells an expensive version of this.

Thanks for responding.
    —  Jaddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    use a tornado on the interiors. i am looking for the fountain of youth and failing miserably
    Dear Dave

Some advice you gave me in late 2011 is probably the first advice on a detailing forum that I actually used: to use Ultima`s Elastrofoam system. Your advice was great, but my ability to use the stuff was way off. I didn`t know to strive for no resistance (drag) on the foam block. I noticed that by not using so much lube, there was more drag, and I thought I was doing a better job of claying our white van. I hope to polish those spots away one day. I appreciate your helping me then, or at least trying to, and responding now.

Believe it or not, I have a Tornador Black, though I`ve never used it on our interiors. My floors are covered with WeatherTech rubber liners and come clean with Opti-Clean. My seats are leather (simulated, I hope) and I never do anything to those other than vacuum the crevasses. But my wife just spilled a thirty-ounce tumbler of tea in her light-tan carpeted interior and I plan to tackle that with the Tornador.

I thought the Tornador would be great on wheels and tires. I reckon it is, but because I don`t let our tires and wheels get too nasty, I don`t believe I really needed it. Sonax and the Mother`s brushes seem to do a great job.

(By the way, for dressing tires with higher sidewalls, I cannot recommend highly enough Average Joe`s Tire Dress Express. I`ve tried three other tire dressing applicators and cut dressing time down to less than a minute per tire with the Tire Dress Express. It doesn`t work nearly as well on low-profile tires, as it requires some effort with those tires to keep the business portion of the applicator off the wheel.)

As for the fountain of youth, I reckon we all get farther from it every day. I really need to lose weight and exercise more. I keep telling my wife to buy me a staff of hookers so I`ll spend less time on the sofa. So far, I`m not making much persuasive progress.
    —  Jaddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    Dear Al

I`ve worked against the clock since I began this journey in October 2011. I wanted to figure out how to wash our van (and dry it) in less than thirty minutes. I`ve never come close. I`ve done it in about an hour and ten minutes before, but I was exhausted, soaked, and frazzled at the end. If I take my time, it takes me nearly two hours from the time I start setting everything out until I have the brushes washed out and everything put back up.

I attended one of the Junkman`s seminars here in Atlanta and was disappointed to learn that he spends at least two hours washing his Corvette, three if he "does it right," two to three times a week. I`d hoped to learn the secret to my thirty-minute van wash at the seminar. Of course I came home a little discouraged.

My father-in-law put four two-tube fluorescent fixtures over our van and I still rely on a bright flashlight to check my work. I`m aware of the importance of good light and should have included that in my original list. I believe I need four more lights overhead and an array of them on the sides, front, and rear. Maybe one day...

Thanks for responding.
    Hi Jaddie.

Try one of these methods:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evFTeRxtEEo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kY_S-fkgrE

You`ll be closer.

Post Thanks / Like

3 hours to wash a Vette that gets washed mutiple times a week?

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    Dear Steve

Moisture-wicking? Is that a special kind of shirt? My wife buys me cheap T-shirts from Kohl`s for about US$5 each. I think they`re mostly cotton. Is a moisture-wicking shirt something different?

My sandals are Ecco brand and have a wetsuit-like material covering the soles. Is that okay? They seem comfortable enough, but I usually ditch shoes altogether if I waxing/sealing wheels.

Try Wal-Mart for moisture wicking shirts, the George label are about $13 and they are a life saver. When I`m on a golf course with my buddies they have a few silver dollar size sweat spots while I look like I laid in a puddle face down.

Can`t stand shirts sticking to me, the moisture wicking stuff will almost dry in a gentle breeze, just wash them immediately when soiled (don`t throw them in a hamper) & they`ll keep looking good for a long time.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Dear Michael

I watched the first video and will watch the second one tomorrow (have to get the house shut down).

I wish the video had shown him actually cleaning the tires and wheels and drying the car. Drying our Odyssey takes me as long as or longer than washing it, and I have a Master Blaster. And if I do the wheels thoroughly (with Daytona brush and Mother`s brush for wheels and a different Mother`s brush for tires) and wheel wells with a longer-handled brush, that extends my total time by at least another fifteen minutes.

I have to get off the computer and get the bedtime routine done. I have a four-year-old who`s still awake.

Thanks for responding, good buddy.
    —  Jaddie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information