Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a wax I suggest dodo juice purple haze. Really does well on blacks. Make sure you clay first.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper Wax for New Vehicle

All lots of really good suggestions. Not to jack the thread, as this sort of falls in the same category, but what do you guys think of using an IPA before applying sealants? (and waxes I guess too) I know it`s vital when applying a coating like Opti-coat, but wasn`t sure if it`s beneficial before a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brunkel View Post
    ..what do you guys think of using an IPA before applying sealants? (and waxes I guess too)...
    Short answer: YES. My favorite IPA is Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser. IMHO it "behaves" better that IPA or mineral spirits.

Merlin

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 to get through the winters.
    You can still put a topper wax on it if you want. For longevity and looks Bouncer`s Vanilla Ice is a winner.
    IPA after polishing use 11% by volume with distilled water. Some would say that is too low of a percentage but consider that IPA is a solvent. 11% will not hurt the paint or leave any residue behind. With todays water based polishes IPA can cut through the oils without a problem. I never had issues with LSP`s or wax failure at this percentage. You are removing extremely low amounts of oils from the paint when you get to your final wipe down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bieradler View Post
    ...Throughout my search, I`ve found user feedback that Collinite 845 may be a good solution....I`ve also used a clay bar once. That`s the extent of my experience and skill level... But I`m looking to learn and take advice if it`s offered. I value your feedback.

Correct me if I`m wrong, but since it`s a new vehicle, it shouldn`t need clay bar and/or polish. Or am I mistaken? This is where I need your help. I`m search exhausted and would appreciate any answers and advice you`re willing to give.
    Colli 845 has a proven "winter" wax track record.

How to check if you need to clay:

Clean a small 24" x 24" paint area.
    Use as Wash or Quick detail spray.

Put your hand in a sandwich bag.
    Then lightly feel the paint surface.
    Can you feel grit and little bumps?

If so, you need to "clay" the paint.
    Yes, even new paint needs decon.

To start use a Nanoskin Autoscrub
    Speedy Prep Sponge – Fine Grade

Use clay lube. Keep the paint wet.

Before claying I`d suggest using:
    IronX LS (Lemon Scent). NO more
    harsh Odor, with Equal Power of
    decontamination as you come to
    expect from Iron X Classic!

Post Thanks / Like

So I will be prepping a new car this weekend and intend to clay (trying out my new speedy prep fine grade mitt actually!) and use a sealant for my LSP. Car is brand new but the owner said the dealer`s detail shop did the usual prep for delivery. After a quick inspection the pain looks great actually and probably has a coat of some cheap wax from the dealer...no noticeable swirls on paint in direct sunlight but the B-pillars are bad. Super greasy tire shine on the tires too...

So I will polish out the B-pillars but wondering what is the best prep on the paint for the sealant? As mentioned before I will definitely clay, and then I was thinking about using a pre-wax cleaner like Auto Finesse Rejuvenate followed by an IPA (in response to my earlier post). Is that overkill or can I get away with just the Rejuvenate or just the IPA? Would you recommend polishing the paint anyway with a lot polish just to be safe? Looks like the AF rejuvenate has some minor abrasives in it actually so if there are some small minor defects that should be sufficient to take car of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brunkel View Post
    So I will be prepping a new car this weekend and intend to clay (trying out my new speedy prep fine grade mitt actually!) and use a sealant for my LSP. Car is brand new but the owner said the dealer`s detail shop did the usual prep for delivery. After a quick inspection the pain looks great actually and probably has a coat of some cheap wax from the dealer...no noticeable swirls on paint in direct sunlight but the B-pillars are bad. Super greasy tire shine on the tires too...

Wait.......

Lots of dealers use a heavy/greasy glaze. So wait till ya do a good decon wash on it and start to see
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Wait.......

Lots of dealers use a heavy/greasy glaze. So wait till ya do a good decon wash on it and start to see
    Goodie...haha. By decon wash are you suggesting stripping with APC mixed in with the car soap? Or simply by washing, claying, and a light paint cleaner (Like Rejuvenate) will expose those defects?

I noticed that on my GTI actually. Once I started polishing I actually noticed some blemishes appearing! It`s a new car and this was the first polish I did since getting the car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information