Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 or DeWalt 849X or ???

I am in the process of trying to learn how to properly use the different machines available and obtain optimal performance from them. I currently own the G110v2 w/ a 5" BP and will be ordering a GG 3" shortly. While I have nowhere near mastered the machine, I am in the process of removing 20+ years of oxidation from my work truck and believe it is time to work with something that has a little more oomph.

The most important factor in choosing the equipment will be versatility followed by ease of use and price.

Does the Flex effectively replace the G110? If so I would consider selling it to recoup some of the cost.

If I go with the DeWalt should I get a 5" or 6" BP?

Are there any other reccomendations for what I`m trying to do?

What would you all reccomend?

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 or DeWalt 849X or ???

Man I wish I was close by I would happily knock your truck out with ya! You know if your just getting a rotary to do your truck with, you probably could get away with getting a cheap HF one with a 5in bp surely it would survive one car. Then after you get through the Oxidation finish with the D/A to get rid of the buffer trash. Just a thought to save some money!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the flex 3401 and love it. It corrects quickly. I also just picked up the GG 3" for hard to reach areas however I wish I had picked up the 6" with 3" pads and backing plate. A little more correction power. I also picked up the LC 4" backing plate for the flex and it works great.

Get the Flex and keep the G110 since you are considering getting a GG. Get the LC backing plate so that you can use the 4" pads and also pick up the 5.5" pads. Lots of folks have great things to say about the Megs MF pads and they come in smaller sizes too. I plan on picking some up soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the flex and love it...

but am drooling over the rupes
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Man I wish I was close by I would happily knock your truck out with ya! You know if your just getting a rotary to do your truck with, you probably could get away with getting a cheap HF one with a 5in bp surely it would survive one car. Then after you get through the Oxidation finish with the D/A to get rid of the buffer trash. Just a thought to save some money!
    Thanks for the offer, I wouldn`t mind a couple of your "Learning under fire" training sessions with the airsoft gun. You`d probably run out of pellets within the first 1/2 hour though.

I`m glad you mentioned this idea because I went on to HF and found a polisher on sale for $30... Sold!!! It`s got a 7" BP on it so I`ll see if that can get the job done for now.

Quote Originally Posted by hades02 View Post
    I have the flex 3401 and love it. It corrects quickly. I also just picked up the GG 3" for hard to reach areas however I wish I had picked up the 6" with 3" pads and backing plate. A little more correction power. I also picked up the LC 4" backing plate for the flex and it works great.

Get the Flex and keep the G110 since you are considering getting a GG. Get the LC backing plate so that you can use the 4" pads and also pick up the 5.5" pads. Lots of folks have great things to say about the Megs MF pads and they come in smaller sizes too. I plan on picking some up soon.
    Have you used the larger GG w/ the smaller BP before? I wonder how the bulk of the machine would effect getting into some of the tighter places like door handles. I found new GG 3"`s for $60 and the 6" would be $110.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I have the flex and love it...

but am drooling over the rupes
    Lol, I almost pulled the trigger on a new Rupes when all the craze first began but my wife gently talked me off the cliff... Well, more like she violently yanked my funding out from under me. One day... but I guess I should learn how to properly use what I`ve got first though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Custom Care View Post

Lol, I almost pulled the trigger on a new Rupes when all the craze first began but my wife gently talked me off the cliff... Well, more like she violently yanked my funding out from under me. One day... but I guess I should learn how to properly use what I`ve got first though.
    Roshans` review and Bunky`s common sense have me waiting....

But boy when I got my hands on it at DF...............

And if we learned how to use everything we have first, PBMG would be out of business
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used the 6" with the 3" pads and backing plate however I have used, recently, the Flex with the 4" backing plate and pades and it worked
    out great. The machine provided no interference with handles or other body parts and the extra power was welcomed. The 3" machine is under powered and will require a lot of time to correct paint. Could be different using MF pads but I have not experience in this. Thinking about it now I should have gotten the 6" with 3" system or saved the money and just gotten more 4" foam pads/MF pads for my flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Roshans` review and Bunky`s common sense have me waiting....

But boy when I got my hands on it at DF...............

And if we learned how to use everything we have first, PBMG would be out of business
    I think when my wife tried the Rupes at DF and proclaimed it was awesome it confirmed that I must own one soon
    Buddy

Flex 3401| PE14-150 Griots 6" | 3" PC 7336 | Rupes LHR21 | LHR 12E Duetto
    2014 Mercedes CLS550 - 2012 Audi Q7

Thread Information