Thread: Beginner rotary

Post Thanks / Like

Beginner rotary

I`m looking into purchasing a rotary polisher and learning how to use it on my heavily oxidized truck. Are there any particular ones out there I should look out for? I`d like to buy one used and not spend too much on it. Does anyone have an old one they would like to get rid of? PM me if you do.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner rotary

Far safer is a random orbital with the meguires MF system.....and after you clear up the oxidation, you have a orbital to detail with......
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

If you do get one, the De Walt has a variable speed model. which is a nice feature
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone use the Dewalt 849x? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP849X-7-Inch-Variable-Polisher/dp/B004W1WGIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363046704&sr=8-1&keywords=dwp849x]DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start - Amazon.com[/ame] Looks like a decent deal from Amazon. I might have to give Todd a call and see if Autopia would price match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Custom Care View Post
    Does anyone use the Dewalt 849x? DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start - Amazon.com Looks like a decent deal from Amazon. I might have to give Todd a call and see if Autopia would price match.
    they don`t match amazon unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using the DeWalt 849x practicing on my personal vehicles and some scratched up doors & fenders from local body shops. I haven`t used it on customers autos yet. I`ve been using the PC for years and with the correct product, it does a super job. The reason I wanted to switch to the DeWalt is for the major correction, and finish with the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Porter View Post
    I`ve been using the DeWalt 849x practicing on my personal vehicles and some scratched up doors & fenders from local body shops. I haven`t used it on customers autos yet. I`ve been using the PC for years and with the correct product, it does a super job. The reason I wanted to switch to the DeWalt is for the major correction, and finish with the PC.
    With the 7" BP do you use 7.5" or 8.5" pads? Reading through the descriptions it sounds like you are supposed to use the 8.5`s but I was a little confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Custom Care View Post
    With the 7" BP do you use 7.5" or 8.5" pads? Reading through the descriptions it sounds like you are supposed to use the 8.5`s but I was a little confused.

Check ebay, i got one for $120 bucks new in box. I started out on one, love them but like them but it seems i can get a better result from a Random Orbital. GG6" is great! i have one as well, well the worth the money and they`re pretty inexpensive.
    Lets GO FLYERS!!
    www.BarrenHillDetail.com

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever machine you decide on, unless you are doing a lot of large, flat, panels, like say on a boat or airplane or huge RV, I would steer clear of huge pads and stick with either 5.5 or if you really need it, 6" pads, with the appropriate backing plate.
    The smaller diameter pads are going to be easier to control, and with a Random Orbital, the smaller diameter pad is easier for the machine to rotate, so you can get the product to correct better.

I have a Makita 9227c and a Flex PE14-250 Rotary and they work great but then I use a Rotary on every vehicle because this works best for me. I also use 5-5.5" diameter pads on everything. I use the bigger pads on airplanes only..

If you get a Rotary, get one with as has already been said, a variable speed trigger preferably starting at 600 rpm and going up past 3000 rpm. This way you can ease the machine on and there is less chance of anything going bad while you are learning, etc..

Try not to get a rotary that starts up at over 1,000 rpm. I know lots of people like these too, but if you are learning and all, it is just so much easier to start it up slower and get a feel for it. Here is the secret - you have to keep it moving, especially at higher speeds - do not stop on one spot and grind into the paint until you have a lot of experience.

Good luck !
    Dan F

Thread Information