Post Thanks / Like

Pad options for G110v2

I currently own the Meguiars G110v2, knowing now about all the different options available I might not have made the same choice. However, it`s what i have and what I`m going to be using until I can justify the expense of a new unit. THat being said it`s sime to expand my pad selection beacuse at this point all I have is a spun wool light cutting pad, regular yellow polishing pad, and a black diamond weave finishing pad. All of which are 7". I like the edges that are on the backs of the pads but it seems like most of the styles from other manufacturers do not incorporate them. I`m currently looking at the LC wave pads and the chemical guys hex logic pads. I`m definitely interested in the chemical guys MF pads because i have to large bottles of the Meguiars DA MF compund and polishing system that I have yet to even open.

What manufactures and pad sizes are available to fit this machine and do I need to order a new backing plate or someting to use non meguiars pads? Is anyone else using this machine with difeerent pad combinations?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad options for G110v2

I also have a Meguiars G110V.2 and it uses 3", 4", and 5" backing plates for appropriately sized pads. I never use anything bigger in diameter because I have other machines that can do that easier, and I want to get as much rotation out of this machine and using a smaller diameter pad helps this happen.

You can buy the backing plates and pads here. Lake Country and Meguiars themselves make all the different sized backing plates that I have, and other companies have them as well. Pretty much any backing plate you buy for this machine will screw right into your G110V.2 machine with no problem. So you will be fine. The Meguiars smaller backing plate I think its the 3" one comes with a variety of adapters to allow one to even put this backing plate on a drill if you want to..

I like to use mostly Lake Country foam pads, and also have some smaller ones made by 3M that are used mostly for heavy correction work in small places, or perhaps cleaning up an area that would be better served with a smaller pad than larger.

Dont forget that Microfiber pads are doing a lot of good for those machines too !

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The backing plate that comes with the Meguiar`s G110v2 is the W68DA which is slightly larger than 6 inches in diameter (IIRC). With this backing plate you are limited to pads that are 7 inches or larger. You can use some 6.5 inch pads but the lip of the plate will usually overhang the Velcro attachment.

I, and many others, prefer using pads smaller than 6 inches on a DA polisher. You will get better polishing power and faster results by going with smaller pads so it is usually a win-win. In order to use the smaller pads on your Meguiar`s G110v2 you will need a smaller backing plate such as the 5 inch Lake Country DA Backing Plate.

I really like the new Cool Wave CCS pads. They are very smooth to polish with. Ultimately though pad preference will come down to personal experience. The result CCS pads are a great place to start as well. The Cool Wave are a little better (IMO) for beginners because the convoluted surface reduces surface friction and promotes faster spinning for the pad which could help increase polishing power when used with some paint polishes and light pressure. The Cool Wave will also reduce surface temperatures which may help prevent paint scorching from over-heating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I`ll be looking into placing an order for some new pads and trying out the 5" backing plate just as soon as I convince the wife to allow me to do so. I may have to go find some puddles to drive her car through in order to speed up that whole process

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO I`d start with a Meguiars Mirror Glaze G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate and a Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack 2) Orange 2) White 1) Grey 1) Blue
    I believe you`ll find that the smaller backing plate & smaller pads offer you better control of the machine & the ability to "feel" your process as you`re polishing the paint.

I have not tried the new LC Cool Wave CCS pads out yet but I`ve had excellent results with the Lake Country 5.5" flats using the Kevin Brown Method for polishing paint.
    BTW - The Megs 5" backing plate is also the recommended backing plate for the Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs and Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction Compound

Post Thanks / Like

Here a "PAD" thread that may be helpful.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ads-why-4.html

Thread Information