Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First use of buffer

My next question,is how often do I need to buff? I have no swirls or scratches right now, so things are good. I am just good to go with a good wax job very couple months now, and maybe a complete buff out once a year.

Pat.

Post Thanks / Like

You have 5.5 pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sube View Post
    My next question,is how often do I need to buff? I have no swirls or scratches right now, so things are good. I am just good to go with a good wax job very couple months now, and maybe a complete buff out once a year.

Pat.
    sorry pat but it`s ocdetailer`s rule #1 and you`ll need to buff every time a new product comes out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    You have 5.5 pads?
    Nope 6.5 pads.

Pat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sube View Post

Pat.
    Pat,

Both buffing and claying should only be done as needed. If the paint is swirl free then there is no need to polish it.

Keep in mind that even with careful wash techniques you will likely get some swirl marks over time, The more careful you are the less frequently they will occur and the more shallow they will be (which is important as even a final polish will remove them).

When you start to see some swirl marks you can lightly polish the surface or wait until you see more. It really is up to you. I wash my car carefully and personally try to limit polishing to no more than 1 once a year (and by this I mean very light polishing). If need be you could use a glaze, something like Sonus Swirlbuster or Chemical Guy`s Blacklight in the interim.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Pat,

Both buffing and claying should only be done as needed. If the paint is swirl free then there is no need to polish it.

Keep in mind that even with careful wash techniques you will likely get some swirl marks over time, The more careful you are the less frequently they will occur and the more shallow they will be (which is important as even a final polish will remove them).

When you start to see some swirl marks you can lightly polish the surface or wait until you see more. It really is up to you. I wash my car carefully and personally try to limit polishing to no more than 1 once a year (and by this I mean very light polishing). If need be you could use a glaze, something like Sonus Swirlbuster or Chemical Guy`s Blacklight in the interim.
    Todd nails it on the head, too much OCD can yield no paint to correct. Figuring out what to do to reduce the number of corrective measures yet yielding a pleasing result will always add a long term result. You only have original paint once. Chasing perfection can lead to an O $hit moment. You can`t go back at that time.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information