Post Thanks / Like

Question 5`` backing Plate for Griots

Hi, Newbie here in the near future i will be buying a Griots Polisher. I think from what i have bin reading the 6 `` Backing plate & 6 1/2`` pad that comes with the Griots is to big.
    I would like to also buy a 5`` backing plate. Would LC Backing plate be the best one to buy for Griots ? Can you switch pads from a different Co than LC to McGuire or Adams or any 5 1/2`` foam Velcro® brand hook & loop pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5`` backing Plate for Griots

I use an LC bp on my GG6.

anything with a 5/16th spindle will fit on the Griots, Megs or PC units...

You can also use any pads you want though it shouldn`t be too big or small for the bp i.e. use 5.5 inch pads for the 5 inch bp

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopiaforums Rockrash and yes go with the 5" Backing plate using the 5.5 pads and your dream of correcting the paint will freak you out ( in a good way ).
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrash View Post
    Hi, Newbie here in the near future i will be buying a Griots Polisher. I think from what i have bin reading the 6 `` Backing plate & 6 1/2`` pad that comes with the Griots is to big.
    I would like to also buy a 5`` backing plate. Would LC Backing plate be the best one to buy for Griots ? Can you switch pads from a different Co than LC to McGuire or Adams or any 5 1/2`` foam Velcro® brand hook & loop pads?
    Welcome to AutopiaForums!

I don`t know if I would agree that 6 inch backing plate and 6.5 inch pads are too big. When I started with the PC (5 years ago or more) that was all there really was and it served many detailers well.

You will get more polishing power with a smaller pad, and today, many people feel that a 5.5 inch pad/5 inch backing plate will yield the best results between correction power and surface area.

The Gritos, Meguiar`s G110v2, and Porter Cable all use a 5/16ths female threaded hole to mount backing plates, so any standard backing plate will fit them interchangably. You can use whichever brand of pads (provided they have the same hook and same loop sides) you would like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your Quick responses. Is one backing plate better than another or are they all the same quality?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrash View Post
    Thanks for all your Quick responses. Is one backing plate better than another or are they all the same quality?
    Did you not get a free 6" bp with your Griot? Like Todd said, a 6" bp will work fine with your Griot. The Porter Cable is the DA that needs a smaller BP and pads as it is under powered to spin a larger pad. If anything, get a 4" pad for the tight areas (A pillars), headlight correction, water spot removal on windshield, carpet cleaning and spot buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got some 6.5 inch orange hybrid pads. Haven`t decided whether to use with my 5 in bp or my original 6inch on the gg6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    I just got some 6.5 inch orange hybrid pads. Haven`t decided whether to use with my 5 in bp or my original 6inch on the gg6
    What is there to think about. Too much overhang can damage the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

supposedly, the felt portion fits the 5 inch bp though...

Post Thanks / Like

supposedly, the felt portion fits the 5 inch bp though...
    A 3/4" overhang imo is too much of a overhang.

Post Thanks / Like

A 5 inch backing plate on a 6.5 inch pad offers the largest margin of safety for the new polisher. You do loose some efficiency, but it is important to remember that many people have used this set up with great success in the last.

A 6 inch backing plate on a 6.5 inch pad is going to be more efficient (you will, as a by-product, notice the pad will rotate faster as well).

If you have 6.5 inch pads and already have a 6 inch backing plate, then I would stick with this. You can move to a smaller backing plate if you feel you would benefit from a larger safety margin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    A 5 inch backing plate on a 6.5 inch pad offers the largest margin of safety for the new polisher. You do loose some efficiency, but it is important to remember that many people have used this set up with great success in the last.

A 6 inch backing plate on a 6.5 inch pad is going to be more efficient (you will, as a by-product, notice the pad will rotate faster as well).

If you have 6.5 inch pads and already have a 6 inch backing plate, then I would stick with this. You can move to a smaller backing plate if you feel you would benefit from a larger safety margin.
    I didn`t buy the Griots yet. Should i at first order the 6.5 pads being that Groits comes with a 6`` BP? Just seen so many posts that people are switching 6``BP on Groits for 5`` and are using 5.5`` Pads.

Thread Information