Post Thanks / Like

2 questions: Detailing Schools / First equipment purchase

Hello all! Been lurking for a few days, but can`t seem to find exactly what I need. I will be coming across some funds soon and want to start a mobile detailing business by building a van rig. Although as a firefighter we have pressure washed and thoroughly cleaned the interior of the cab/compartments/under cab/etc. I have no specific experience buffing/claying/ applying wax or with any of the other fun detailing stuff.
    So, for my first question...
    Do any of you have experience with detailing schools? I`ve been looking into the rightlook.com and detailking.com schools. Right look would be about 6 days and a couple of grand. My work schedule will be difficult to work around this. Detailking.com is only 2/3 days and 500/900 bucks, but they don`t seem to have that professional edge rightlook has presented themselves with.
    Any info on these schools, or alternatives, that you can provide would be appreciated!

And although I have gone through several posts, I can`t seem to find one addressing this specific question.
    If there was one KIT/item you should buy to start practicing on your own car so you can start developing detailing skills, what would it be? Buffing tools, pressure washer and clay? I would prefer this be one of the first steps of the detailing process that way I can simply take my car to a hand carwash and then start working on whatever detail process you all would suggest. Would this item have to be professional grade or recreational/weekend warrior stuff? I wouldnt mind shelling out the extra bucks on professional items considering in the long run I would be adding it to my mobile rig! So name dropping specific brands is recommended!
    Thanks again, guys. Looking forward to learning a lot from you.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 questions: Detailing Schools / First equipment purchase

Start out here
    Car Detailing How To Information

Also, watch Mike Phillips` videos on YouTube. Detailing schools are good I suppose, but with forums like this and guys like Mike, I think you`ll find that you will learn a great deal just from that. If I was you, I would put that money toward buliding and promoting your business and use every free resource you have available online to learn all that you can. There is no replacement for hands on experience, but you can get plenty of that working on personal vehicles and friends/families cars while your learning the trade and getting a regiment down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EPMobileDetail View Post
    Hello all! Been lurking for a few days, but can`t seem to find exactly what I need. I will be coming across some funds soon and want to start a mobile detailing business by building a van rig. Although as a firefighter we have pressure washed and thoroughly cleaned the interior of the cab/compartments/under cab/etc. I have no specific experience buffing/claying/ applying wax or with any of the other fun detailing stuff.
    So, for my first question...
    Do any of you have experience with detailing schools? I`ve been looking into the rightlook.com and detailking.com schools. Right look would be about 6 days and a couple of grand. My work schedule will be difficult to work around this. Detailking.com is only 2/3 days and 500/900 bucks, but they don`t seem to have that professional edge rightlook has presented themselves with.
    Any info on these schools, or alternatives, that you can provide would be appreciated!

And although I have gone through several posts, I can`t seem to find one addressing this specific question.
    If there was one KIT/item you should buy to start practicing on your own car so you can start developing detailing skills, what would it be? Buffing tools, pressure washer and clay? I would prefer this be one of the first steps of the detailing process that way I can simply take my car to a hand carwash and then start working on whatever detail process you all would suggest. Would this item have to be professional grade or recreational/weekend warrior stuff? I wouldnt mind shelling out the extra bucks on professional items considering in the long run I would be adding it to my mobile rig! So name dropping specific brands is recommended!
    Thanks again, guys. Looking forward to learning a lot from you.
    Tony
    Check out Mike Phillip`s Detailing BootCamp at Autogeek.net- Mike Phillips` Detailing Boot Camp

The first thing, before buying products, is consider your local demographic, and competition. There are no wrong or right answers to approaching professional detailing.

And welcome to AutopiaForums!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I was like you some months back. Not a pro but learning from them all the way. i learned most of the stuff on the forums. i`m in the southern hemisphere!
    detailing almost non-existent here. only sea, sun, sand and SWIRLS here

All depends on what you want to do.

divide what u need into sections and the tools you`ll need for each:

1. interior: leather, plastics, glass.... (tools: vac, steamer, tornador + products)
    2. exterior: paintwork, (clay, rotary (makita or flex), some pads polishes..)
    3. glass, headlights, wheels ...
    4. engine
    5. ...

choose the best for each. i`m sure the pros gonna help u out.

i`d suggest u get a hood and try out with a buffer. Menzerna and optimum are very friendly polishes. u can just hone your skills. I starteed with that on a scrap hood. No tutor/no trainer. only advice i got from forumers and faith in Almighty. U`ll defo improve. there are very helpful people here.

For interior, Optimum OPC and leather conditioner are versatile products and gonna save u a lot. U don`t need a lot of water for exterior with Optimum OPC and ONR.

hope it helps

Zaid

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, gents! I sat through almost 3 hours of autogeek videos yesterday. Gonna keep looking them up! Def some really useful info on their channel.

Thread Information