Post Thanks / Like

Noob with some questions

Hey guys. I`ve recently become very interested in deep detailing and am a bit overwhelmed with everything. I want to get started and understand that, being inexperienced, I should start with a dual action polisher versus a rotary buffer. I`ve some swirls and light scratches that I want to get rid of, and would appreciate any tips.

I`ve done claybar and waxing(by hand) before, and understand most of the do`s and dont`s...but I`m a bit nervous to work with a machine. I do understand that to remove water spots and etching, swirls, etc. a machine is required. I was just hoping for some input from some more experienced detailers.

Here`s the whip:

Thanks in advance!

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob with some questions

Look into a Porter Cable or Griots DA. Both are in the same price range and both produce great results with minimal risk involved. Rotary polishers are definitely not to be taken lightly and I don`t suggest learning on one. Machine polishing is nothing to be afraid of as long as you understand what your doing and do your homework first. Its not like it used to be..trail and error with heavy ruthless machines and unforgiving products. You have access to AMAZING products and tons of professionals here who are more than happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutopiaForums!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Look into a Porter Cable or Griots DA. Both are in the same price range and both produce great results with minimal risk involved. Rotary polishers are definitely not to be taken lightly and I don`t suggest learning on one. Machine polishing is nothing to be afraid of as long as you understand what your doing and do your homework first. Its not like it used to be..trail and error with heavy ruthless machines and unforgiving products. You have access to AMAZING products and tons of professionals here who are more than happy to help.
    I agree with every word. You can even change some around: "You have access to tons of products and AMAZING professionals here who are more than happy to help"

I would add that with MF & Surbuf pads and SMAT polishes, you can get most of the correction power of a rotary with a DA - but safer and with a better finish. I use my rotary primarily for jewelling these days.

Post Thanks / Like

First: Welcome to AF!!!

Second: ^^ I agree with the above. I have Porter Cable and it is a capable machine. If you are looking at "kits" I would make sure you are getting 5.5" pads as they seem to work much better than the larger 6.5" pads. The newer microfiber pads work great for the initial defect removal. I prefer foam pads for the finial polishing. The Meg`s combo of M105/M205 is a great 2 step selection but Menzerna also makes good polishes.

There are alos some great tips, trick, and guides here: Car Detailing How To Information

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I was looking into the Porter Cable 7424xp. I might go with the beginner`s kit since I`m still unsure on what pads I need for what. I still have some reading to do! Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Welcome to AutopiaForums!!

I agree with every word. You can even change some around: "You have access to tons of products and AMAZING professionals here who are more than happy to help"

I would add that with MF & Surbuf pads and SMAT polishes, you can get most of the correction power of a rotary with a DA - but safer and with a better finish. I use my rotary primarily for jewelling these days.
    I`ll look into those products. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    First: Welcome to AF!!!

Second: ^^ I agree with the above. I have Porter Cable and it is a capable machine. If you are looking at "kits" I would make sure you are getting 5.5" pads as they seem to work much better than the larger 6.5" pads. The newer microfiber pads work great for the initial defect removal. I prefer foam pads for the finial polishing. The Meg`s combo of M105/M205 is a great 2 step selection but Menzerna also makes good polishes.

There are alos some great tips, trick, and guides here: Car Detailing How To Information
    I was considering this kit: Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit, buffing pads, Porter Cable 7424 XP polisher kit
    You mentioned that 5.5" pads provide better results and I remember reading that earlier. Why is it better to use smaller pads? Less surface area to cover?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radiocrash View Post
    Hey guys. I`ve recently become very interested in deep detailing and am a bit overwhelmed with everything. I want to get started and understand that, being inexperienced, I should start with a dual action polisher versus a rotary buffer. I`ve some swirls and light scratches that I want to get rid of, and would appreciate any tips.

I`ve done claybar and waxing(by hand) before, and understand most of the do`s and dont`s...but I`m a bit nervous to work with a machine. I do understand that to remove water spots and etching, swirls, etc. a machine is required. I was just hoping for some input from some more experienced detailers.

Here`s the whip:

Thanks in advance!

Kenny
    Welcome to AutopiaForums!

The Porter Cable 7424, Griot`s Garage 6 inch, and the Meguiar`s G100v2 are all `random orbital` dual-action polishers. They use a bearing (that Porter Cable calls a free-floating spindle bearing assembly) that allows the pad to `free wheel`.

This greatly reduces the risk of over heating and burning the paint by reducing the power/friction on the paint. They are safe for beginners (particularly if you do a little research on this forum) and offer valuable upsells as you begin to do this professionally.

The detailing experts on this forum are amazingly helpful so we will get you going the right direction. Thanks for joining and we look forward to seeing your voyage!

Post Thanks / Like

I was considering this kit: Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit, buffing pads, Porter Cable 7424 XP polisher kit
    You mentioned that 5.5" pads provide better results and I remember reading that earlier. Why is it better to use smaller pads? Less surface area to cover?
    Pinnacle makes great products.

5.5 inch pads will offer more polishing power because more of the machine`s power is focused in a smaller area. This is due to the unique way that an orbital polisher moves the pad across the paint (tiny orbits, like if you were applying a wax by hand using tiny circles). With a rotary polisher, that spins the pad, a smaller pad is actually less aggressive (less rotaional speed per revolution).

However 5.5 inch pads so increase risk of damaging the paint, so like anything in life, there is a trade off.

We offer the same kit at Autopia-CarCare.com: Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit

I would recommend buying at Autopia-CarCare.com because you can use your forum discount code for 10% off. The discount doesn`t work on kits, BUT it works on the other products you will need, such as microfiber towels, polishes (I recommend BLACKFIRE SRC Compound and BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish), waxes, soaps, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Pinnacle makes great products.

5.5 inch pads will offer more polishing power because more of the machine`s power is focused in a smaller area. This is due to the unique way that an orbital polisher moves the pad across the paint (tiny orbits, like if you were applying a wax by hand using tiny circles). With a rotary polisher, that spins the pad, a smaller pad is actually less aggressive (less rotaional speed per revolution).

However 5.5 inch pads so increase risk of damaging the paint, so like anything in life, there is a trade off.

We offer the same kit at Autopia-CarCare.com: Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit

I would recommend buying at Autopia-CarCare.com because you can use your forum discount code for 10% off. The discount doesn`t work on kits, BUT it works on the other products you will need, such as microfiber towels, polishes (I recommend BLACKFIRE SRC Compound and BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish), waxes, soaps, etc.
    Thank you I appreciate the useful information. I will definitely order anything and everything off of here lol.
    Any tips on detailing without a garage available? I have no way of working in an enclosed space.

Thread Information