Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell me why

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tell me why

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I think the key is to be realistic. If you drive a vehicle every day it`s going to have imperfections. That`s part of life. Use proper wash technique and you can minimize swirls and marring.

I like to keep my cars clean and I do what I can to keep the paint swirl free but it`s going to happen regardless of all the precautions you take. I have 3 cars to keep up with and I won`t spend every weekend trying to make them look perfect. I think I would lose the enjoyment I find in detailing if I tried to keep my daily drivers defect free
    This sums up the way I feel. My garage queen stays in great shape for obvious reasons, but the other vehicles I keep up the best I can depending on conditions.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of this makes sense, esp the part about accepting a DD is going to get some swirls and what have you. I think the true secret of keeping a car in great shape is not the wax, but the wash. I bought my DD 3 years ago this month and it looks as if it just came out of the showroom. I washed it by hand every week religiously - a real advantage to S fla...and it`s never seen any mud, snow or grime. Believe it or not, it got a wax every 6 months with MARINE CLEANER WAX...nothing more. Now that I have discovered some other products, I have corrected the RID`s and it`s coated in UPGP. For the future, I`ll orbital it every 6 mo with a finishing pad, D151 and more UPGP...aquawax or meg`s quik wax after washing...

For me, it`s all about the two bucket grit guard wash:
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

i still think it`s best to initially correct the vehicle with a separate polishing step after the proper 2 bucket wash and claying. once the finish looks good, seal it, wax it, or both. afterwards it will be much easier to maintain with an AIO if you like. a good spray on wax or sealant after washes really helps to extend that original detail too.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like XMT 360 but not the price

I got it on a BOGO and it is really nice to work with and wipes off really nicely.

Here is a write-up I did on XMT 360 and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant: First use of Pinnacle and Wolfgang - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

I think the key is to be realistic. If you drive a vehicle every day it`s going to have imperfections. That`s part of life. Use proper wash technique and you can minimize swirls and marring.

I like to keep my cars clean and I do what I can to keep the paint swirl free but it`s going to happen regardless of all the precautions you take. I have 3 cars to keep up with and I won`t spend every weekend trying to make them look perfect. I think I would lose the enjoyment I find in detailing if I tried to keep my daily drivers defect free
    agree. and i only do what i enjoy. all the info is here and you can pick and choose what you want to do and how meticulous you want to be.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just need to make clear on my comment. The vehicle I purchased has defects that can not be removed. I bought it this way to enjoy a different hobby. (hence the dont care comment) I can make it shiny but thats about it. The OCD of washing and maintaining a vehicle including the bottom and suspension caused me to sell my toys. I respect anyone who wants the best ride. Its just not for me anymore personally.

I am fortunate and gratefull to detail and enjoy vehicles I could not afford so this was a perfect fit for me.

I was just commenting on the other end of the spectrum.

To the OP I respect your willingness to ask questions to learn.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    XMT 360 is a good product but only corrects a little compared to standalone polishes and compounds. If that meets your needs, is a nice product.

I am on my own search for AIOs because I want to offer something to my customers between maintenance wash&wax and heroic 25hr efforts. I`ve tried XMT 360, Griots, Poli-Seal, KAIO already and next will be Megs 151. (Still have the CG AIO to try and maybe BF - but that is just a rumor.)
    Have you tried the poorboy`s line???? I love polish with carunba

Post Thanks / Like

Well said!

I think that is a dream we all chase for a little while with our DDs. Then when it gets dinged in a parking lot you feel like shooting the person! In the grand scheme of things its pretty near impossible to keep a DD completely clean and free of defects. Im still happy that mine looks better then 95% of all other DDs though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwtaco View Post
    agree. and i only do what i enjoy. all the info is here and you can pick and choose what you want to do and how meticulous you want to be.
    Very true statement. It`s about what makes you happy or fits your standard not someone elses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    Have you tried the poorboy`s line???? I love polish with carunba
    Not yet. I`ll put it on the list. Could be a while - D151 is only sold by the gallon. Thanks for the input, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Not yet. I`ll put it on the list. Could be a while - D151 is only sold by the gallon. Thanks for the input, though.
    You can actually get a 12oz sample size from ADS. Check it out.

Link: Meguiars Paint Reconditioning Cream 12 oz.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information