Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Pads for PC 7424

I picked up this PC here, (didnt pay that amount though) lol, a while ago. But I cant find the pads are anything. Right now it has a plate with velcro on it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SUQ8]Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 7424 6-Inch Variable Speed Random-Orbit Polisher: Home Improvement[/ame]

Should I go with lake country 6.5 inch pads: Lake Country CCS Dual Action 6.5 Inch Foam Pads

My basic question is, are the lake country pad velcro on the back? I read the descrip but couldent find anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads for PC 7424

I would use the 5.5" pads. Yes they have the Velcro backing.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What size backing plate you have?

If it`s a 5" BP then go with 5.5" LC pads or if your plate is a 6" BP then go with a 6.5" LC pads. I like using a 5" BP with 5.5" pads ( Flat or Hydro Tech ) which gives me better control and more pad surface on the finish for correction or polishing.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    What size backing plate you have?

If it`s a 5" BP then go with 5.5" LC pads or if your plate is a 6" BP then go with a 6.5" LC pads. I like using a 5" BP with 5.5" pads ( Flat or Hydro Tech ) which gives me better control and more pad surface on the finish for correction or polishing.

If it`s the old 7424 I think the 5.5 pads work better. I always had trouble keeping the 6.5 pads spinning when I applied pressure. Of course I am extremely strong

Post Thanks / Like

its the 6". Ill have to measure the plate when i get home. Also yes, it is an old one, i guess you could say. Got it at least 4 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Which pad should I use for

a) a wax
    b) sealant (klasse sealant glaze)

White, gray, and blue all say they can be used to apply wax. I have a 2011 Audi, and have been careful to not scratch it.

Post Thanks / Like

Measure your backing plate when you get the chance. If you don`t want to buy a new backing plate then you are going to be limited to the choice of pads you can use.

LC pads use Velcro Brand hook n loop, although most hook n loop is about the same. (Minus the older 3M pads which had the hook and loop reversed).

If you have a 5 inch backing plate then you have two options. You can use 6 or 6.5 inch pads for your application OR you can use 5.5 inch pads.

You will notice that a lot of our kits come with a 5 inch backing plate and 6.5 inch pads. The reason for this is because it provides a 1.5 inch border (a little larger actually) around the pad so that there is very little risk of damaging the paint by nicking it with the backing plate. You do loose some performance though.

Switching to a 5.5 inch pad will increase the polishing performance of the machine, but you do loose the safety margin.

If you have a 6 inch backing plate then you are limited to only pads in the 6.5 inch range. These larger pads will not have quite the cutting power of the 5.5 inch pads, but you can cover more ground per application.

In terms of polishing power, most to least:

1. 5.5 inch pad with 5 inch backing plate
    2. 6.5 inch pad with 6 inch backing plate
    3. 6.5 inch pad with 5 inch backing plate

The safety margins, from safest to least, would be a reverse of the above.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info todd. I just measured and its like 5.8. When I took it off, it actually said on the PC "use 6" pad only" so im assuming that is the counterweight. Since I have a 6in plate, ill stick with the 6.5 inch pads, as I dont really need cutting power at this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nappyjim View Post
    thanks for the info todd. I just measured and its like 5.8. When I took it off, it actually said on the PC "use 6" pad only" so im assuming that is the counterweight. Since I have a 6in plate, ill stick with the 6.5 inch pads, as I dont really need cutting power at this time.
    6.5 Inch Pads will work perfectly. You have several options in 6.5 inch pads. The CCS pad design works well because they slow the absorption of polish into the pad extending the working time.

The other option is flat pads, which may provide a little more cutting power (slightly) because they engage more of the pad into the paint. There is no wrong or right answer, particularly when you are first starting out. I would recommend the CCS pads because they seem to be a little more user friendly for first-time polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    6.5 Inch Pads will work perfectly. You have several options in 6.5 inch pads. The CCS pad design works well because they slow the absorption of polish into the pad extending the working time.
    Todd, is the slow down just related to CCS recesses in the paint may be fused to reduce absorption or is it something across the face of the pad? I never really understand.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Todd, is the slow down just related to CCS recesses in the paint may be fused to reduce absorption or is it something across the face of the pad? I never really understand.
    It is because of the CCS pockets themselves. CCS stands for Collapsed Cell Structure. The CCS pockets are formed by fusing the foam in these areas together, so there is no cell space available for the polish to absorb into.

Also because the pads have approximately 80% of the surface area of a flat pad you will get some `small pad` benefit when using them on a DA, including faster rotation. While, at least in theory, the flat pads can create more surface contact and thus use more of the polish at a given time, they will loose some polishing force.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight on the following as I was totally baffled on whether a ccs pad or a flat pad would be best . IMHO I think it comes down to preference but is still afraid on the ccs or flat pad option. Currently can only get my hands on the Shield DA ccs pad or flat pad deal.Would either option be worth my while or should an import DA be best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    100 percent agree love this combo cheap easy works great.

Post Thanks / Like

The old PC always worked better with a 5 inch backing plate. The GG 6inch has a lot more power so it can handle the 6 inch backing plates without a problem. As many have mentioned, 5.5inch pads are easier to work with regardless of which machine. I like the buff and shine 5.5 inch flat pads (cheap and work great).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information