Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back to detailing after 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post
    Out of curiosity (and I’ll search), is there an opinion on the Meguairs Soft Buff Pads? With the flex?
    I`ve only used the Maroon Cutting Pads with mine since I don`t even try to finish with it any more. Those pads work great with the Flex 3401 if you need something really aggressive. They`re a huge PIA to clean compared to MF though.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as lighting goes, LED work lights have all but replaced Xenon, much like LED headlights are replacing HIDs in new vehicles.
    I bought a cheap one at Sam`s Club, the PowerGlow 3500 lumen LED work light with BOTH adjustable brightness intensity and light hue color (the Kelvin number), but it is no longer offered. Sure beats the halogens and the heat they used to throw off .
    If you can afford it, SCANGRIP detailing LED lighting are the way to go. Like many things, you get what you pay for.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post
    Pads - I found my old pads, which are still in really good shape. They’re the LC Flat Pads. I have orange, white, cyan? (Green?), Black, and one red. Any reason why I shouldn’t use the flat pads with the flex? This is actually my first time using the flex for a whole car.

Lighting - my garage is a mess so I’ll be doing this outside. I used to use that Brinkmen Xenon light from many moons ago but the battery is a goner. Is there any sort of lighting at the typical big box stores that may work for paint inspection?

Prep - I tracked down some iron remover. And I have plenty of clay. I always used to use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and IPA to clean panels after polishing but am seeing these pre-made options. This is one that I haven’t been able to track down locally. Anything wrong with the 50/50 approach?

I’m going to snag some of the griots compound and their polish to try too...I can also get my hands on MG’s 300 and 301 DA polishes but since I’m not planning on using microfiber I don’t know if it’s worth it.
    Your pads should work just fine. As long as you have enough of each type you plan on using.

For lighting just make sure whatever light source you get doesn`t "flood" the surface. You want a light to will allow you to see the reflection of the light so you can see the defects. I`m sure local home centers would have something that might work.

There are many prep sprays. Your 50/50 IPA will work, but google the risks. It`s not exactly a smooth wipe off. You might be able to get Kleanstrip Prep-All at a local auto parts store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information