Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

At home detailing beginner with simple request…..

I`m looking for the easiest to use 2 step polished to take out minor scratches and swirls in a black car.

I know a book can probably be written on this request. But all I`m looking for is the favorite, readily available, easiest to use products that`s going to take swirls and minor scratches to a great final product. If you`d like to include advice on 2 buffing pads as well, I`d like that info as well.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Snackie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: At home detailing beginner with simple request…..

i`ve come to like the blackfire src duo. i also like the menzerna intro kit, it has the po 91e extensive polish and final finish 3000. menzerna may be better choice at first if your afraid of removing to much clear.

also what kind of polishing machine are you using
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re looking for something that`s available through local auto stores m105 and 205 would be your easiest bet. Depending on pad selection and hardness of paint you can finish 205 very well as a final polish. Do a test section with white polishing pad, and asses from there. Pressure and speed will play a factor. Without going into a novel, I would read up on how to`S on the product you are going to use. More often than not someone else has used it on Similar car and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What machine polisher are you using? I am guessing you have the Porter Cable 7424XP with a 5 inch backing plate?

I really like the McKee`s 37 Fast Compound and the McKee`s 37 Fast Polish. This compound and polish is very easy to use, it has a long working time and is very easy to wipe off.

On the Porter Cable I like to use the Lake Country 5.5 inch Flat Pads. Grab some Orange and some White Pads I would recommend getting a 6 pack and McKee`s 37 Pad Cleaner to clean after you use them.
    Likes Civicclutch, Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse@Autopia View Post
    What machine polisher are you using? I am guessing you have the Porter Cable 7424XP with a 5 inch backing plate?

On the Porter Cable I like to use the Lake Country 5.5 inch Flat Pads. Grab some Orange and some White Pads I would recommend getting a 6 pack and McKee`s 37 Pad Cleaner to clean after you use them.
    or if you have the groits garage 6" same pads but in 6.5"
    Likes Jesse@Autopia, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Jesse@Autopia thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish would be my suggestion.

Have you tried a search? We have answered this question many many times on the forum and there are tons of different opinions. It really depends on your machine, type of paint, and severity of defects.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Thanks JaredPointer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Russiandl View Post
    If you`re looking for something that`s available through local auto stores m105 and 205 would be your easiest bet. Depending on pad selection and hardness of paint you can finish 205 very well as a final polish. Do a test section with white polishing pad, and asses from there. Pressure and speed will play a factor. Without going into a novel, I would read up on how to`S on the product you are going to use. More often than not someone else has used it on Similar car and paint.

You trying to frustrate the guy with M105 lol. I wouldn`t recommend that to a beginner. M205 on the other hand is pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish would be my suggestion.
    I`d consider these as a starting point. User friendly and work quite well. Also readily available at more stores.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes pwaug, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You trying to frustrate the guy with M105 lol. I wouldn`t recommend that to a beginner. M205 on the other hand is pretty straight forward...
    I found M205 pretty frustrating due to the abundance of Polishing Oils. IME HD Polish is *infinitely* more user-friendly.

FWIW, I never found M105 frustrating, but I like M101 a whole lot better.

And I`m glad the "cleaning the pads" subject got mentioned! IMO most people don`t do that *nearly* often enough; I do it multiple times per panel.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Guz;2065295]You trying to frustrate the guy with M105 lol. I wouldn`t recommend that to a beginner. M205 on the other hand is pretty straight forward.

Hahahaha my fault my fault

Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Ultimate compound & Ultimate polish, easy, works well, fills some.
    Meg`s 105 is Top notch, will also throw a learning curve at you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I found M205 pretty frustrating due to the abundance of Polishing Oils. IME HD Polish is *infinitely* more user-friendly.

FWIW, I never found M105 frustrating, but I like M101 a whole lot better.

And I`m glad the "cleaning the pads" subject got mentioned! IMO most people don`t do that *nearly* often enough; I do it multiple times per panel.
    Seems like you and I are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. I have found HD Polish to be pretty frustrating. It dusts way too much. I shelved it and don`t plan on using it again or even getting the + version.

M101 and M100 are much better than M105.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

A picture of the defects would be VERY helpful. For my first several corrections, I used OPT Hyper Polish and got great results. Its newbie friendly.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Essence is hard to beat.
    Likes Russiandl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Seems like you and I are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum...[regarding HD Polish]..

...[yet OTOH we agree that]...

M101 and M100 are much better than M105.
    See how that "YMMV" just keeps applying!?! That`s gotta be confusing to newbies, but it`s simply how it goes and ya never know which side of the fence you`ll end up on.

I will say that I might agree with you about HD Polish dusting *if I use too much*, more that M205. But then I use a *minimal* amount of product with the HD and pretty much ("Kevin Brown Method"-much) with M205. And I *never* work either product to the point that it`s remotely close to "dry" before I buff it off. So diffs in our techniques might explain both our differing experiences with those two products and also our different preferences.

And speaking of "YMMV"..

Meg`s 105 is Top notch, will also throw a learning curve at you.
    SEE!?! Perfect example! SOOO many people feel that M105 has this frustrating learning curve, but for me it`s nice and steep- I was dialed-in right from the start. That short work-time just *clicked* for me.

But yeah...M101 seems really easy for anybody to master.

(Hey, "teachable moment" folks- Steep learning curves indicate "more learning over less time" and are what`s *desirable*. Complete opposite over how most people think of `em. I know, "depends on how the graph is set up", but that`s how it is in most any formal study.)

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up my first bottle of Meguiars sometime in 2008 I believe..
    Was never a fan of the A/Geek forums which were actually nicer back then than later when it became very "territorial" for whatever reason...
    So, I chose to just get out there and see how it worked..

Found that it always wanted to dry and get sticky quickly with my Makita, , so I just gave it a few mists of water and that moistened it up again and it kept working for me. I always mist my pads anyway, it just allows compounds/polishes to work longer which is really how I get all the performance out of them..
    Always worked it until it was just a thin film and by then the speed was slower and less pressure as well..

It always gives me great results, very smooth, clear, glossy paint..
    But you have to work with it, work out your own technique/process, and figure out how to manage it..
    Never let it manage You...

I found an old Forum Blog from AG that is from 2008 where these guys went pages talking about the new M105..
    They even said it was made for only wool pads - I never knew that..

But the first time I Detailed an Airplane with old dirty, harder than concrete, urethane airplane paint, I became a fan of M105 and the L/C purple foam wool pad combo.. It really rocked ! But again, it needed moisture to keep it going until its almost all gone..

And yeah, I killed I believe over 30 of those pads and I ran them down to almost nothing left..
    And the Cessna looked Beautiful when done !!!

Keep in mind this blog is from 2008, so that`s 8 years ago, ok ? --- **New** Meguiar`s #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

I always use M105 for any spot that needs attention quickly and not getting what I want out of other products, and it always delivers..
    That little scratch and a 1 inch backing plate and pad = gone ! Or that Black Lexus door that is horribly scratched - M105 + L/C Purple Foam Wool = perfect...
    Good luck with your research and testing !
    Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information