Thread: Water Pump

Post Thanks / Like

Water Pump

When I detail a car, I only use Reverse Osmosis/Deionized (RO/DI) water, as I have horrible water at my house. I keep 35 gallons of water on hand in Brute container for washing vehicles. Because of my background in sal````er aquariums, I first thought to use a pump rated with a high Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - so I purchased a submersible pump rated at 6,600 GPH at 0` head. Well, not thinking that I use a 50` hose, when the pump arrived the pressure on the outlet side was very minimal.

So, now I am stuck with finding a pump (I would prefer submersible so that I don`t have to cut my brute container), that can give me ample pressure to wash a car. I don`t have a pressure washer, so I need to find a pump that is at the same pressure as a facet (~60psi at my house). I currently have about $200 in to the pump and will be returning it on Monday, so I would prefer to stay in that price range.

Comments or thoughts?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Pump

I don`t know about adding pumps and whatnot, but that seems like a headache IMHO. Just get a CR Spotless with quick disconnects. DI water on demand at decent hose pressure. Of course, you only want to use the DI water for the final rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I don`t know about adding pumps and whatnot, but that seems like a headache IMHO. Just get a CR Spotless with quick disconnects. DI water on demand at decent hose pressure. Of course, you only want to use the DI water for the final rinse.
    You talk about a headache and then mention the CR Spotless DI system in the same sentence. IMO, they are junk - I have been through a couple of them and saw no difference between the CR Spotless and my tap water (both leave horrible spotting).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    You talk about a headache and then mention the CR Spotless DI system in the same sentence. IMO, they are junk - I have been through a couple of them and saw no difference between the CR Spotless and my tap water (both leave horrible spotting).
    Something is wrong here. The water out of the CR is TDS zero. That means there is zero minerals in it (maybe some phosphates), but that is it. Water without minerals can`t leave spots. I`ve been using the same unit for a few years now with no issues.

I`m guessing you know you have to keep the car wet and use the DI water for the final rinse? If there are spots on the car from the washing process, no amount of DI water after will remedy that. Mineral free water is mineral free water. Something must be awry with your process.

I dunno. I always wonder about experiences like this.
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Something is wrong here. The water out of the CR is TDS zero. That means there is zero minerals in it (maybe some phosphates), but that is it. Water without minerals can`t leave spots. I`ve been using the same unit for a few years now with no issues.

I`m guessing you know you have to keep the car wet and use the DI water for the final rinse? If there are spots on the car from the washing process, no amount of DI water after will remedy that. Mineral free water is mineral free water. Something must be awry with your process.

I dunno. I always wonder about experiences like this.

I know exactly what a DI system should do (My incoming TDS is 460 and 0 TDS before it even reaches the RO stage), and this product has never done that for me. I only use Spectrapure filters in my RO/DI (.35 Micron Sediment/.5 Carbon filters) and there is an OBVIOUS difference between the two units. I also had my CR leak horribly every time I would attempt to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Never got into water quality, but how do you check your TDS?
    Did you order a tester or do they sell these somewhere. In a local store.

If I were to get a filter.. Do you just connect it to the house on rinsing the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    Never got into water quality, but how do you check your TDS?
    Did you order a tester or do they sell these somewhere. In a local store.

If I were to get a filter.. Do you just connect it to the house on rinsing the vehicle?

I use a separate Milwaukee TDS meter. They sell them in hydroponic and fish stores mostly from what I have seen.
    If you pick up a CR Spotless unit (which I strongly urge you not to), you just connect it to the house faucet.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaking horizons approach is actually cheaper than using a cr spotless. My spectrapure has an input of 460 tds and a 004 tds output BEFORE I run through the di filters. With really hard water a cr will need new resin quite often I did not want the haste of regenerating di resin once a month or more, but I do have to plan ahead to fill my water tank when I need it. I run mine into an electric pressure washer, and yes I put in a bango bulkhead tank fitting which is hell for stout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imstew View Post
    Shaking horizons approach is actually cheaper than using a cr spotless. My spectrapure has an input of 460 tds and a 004 tds output BEFORE I run through the di filters. With really hard water a cr will need new resin quite often I did not want the haste of regenerating di resin once a month or more, but I do have to plan ahead to fill my water tank when I need it. I run mine into an electric pressure washer, and yes I put in a bango bulkhead tank fitting which is hell for stout.

The more I think about it, the more I think I should set the brute container to gravity feed a pressure washer. There would be no issues supplying even 3gpm to the pressure washer. Does anyone see this not being a feasible option?

Post Thanks / Like

My tank is 18" higher than my pressure washer and it works fine. If your pressure washer ia the kind that self distructs when run dry you will have to set the wand on the ground with the trigger pressed on the pw off until it`s pissing water. That will depend on your pw, some are actually designed to suck water out of a pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to check your manual on your PW. It should say how much pressure it needs to function correctly. I also agree if your RO system is operating correctly there should be no minerals to cause spotting. Possibly the RO filters need replacing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Need to check your manual on your PW. It should say how much pressure it needs to function correctly. I also agree if your RO system is operating correctly there should be no minerals to cause spotting. Possibly the RO filters need replacing.
    The CR units I`ve used have been brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

How about some photos..😁

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    How about some photos..😁
    Of?

Post Thanks / Like

Water Pump

my cr works awesome . def u got some hard water 460 - I only got around 130 tds . but still a cr should give u 0 . u just be replacing resin more often .
    r u using a pw , or just off the hose with a pump feeding it ?
    I use a shurflo pump off a tank feeding a pw

this is all I can think of here - it seems that u would know this but I can`t see any other reason why u getting spots off a cr as long as the resin is good
    the cr spotless needs to have the exit restricted to no more than 2-2.5 gpm or it just can`t filter it properly

Thread Information