Post Thanks / Like

My first Black car...

Actually, my first was a `36 Ford Sedan ..but long ago. I bought this sweet little ride in OH last week and after getting a good look at it, the dealer`s detail shop made a valiant attempt to turn the paint into a hologram. I`ve been curbside washing/buffing/sealing for years but never had something that could show `issues` so easily.

What I`d appreciate is a little guidance on using the chems and tools I have. For chemistry: Wizards Mystic Cut .. Zaino AIO .. Jeffs Prime (strong) ..and something ..Gray ..labeled PO-1O6FF (sold by someone here who repackaged it into restaurant-style, catsup squeeze bottles)

For machinery: Ultimate Detail Machine by Perfect Shine .. DA .. a couple of 7" buffers.

I assume I need to mask a bunch and set up a water drip for the sections I am working on... But - am afraid of getting too aggressive with either the chemicals or machinery. The swirls are not deep (like real scratches) - just highly visible at the right viewing angle. `Appreciate the help. Thanks. Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first Black car...

has the paint cured yet?

if you`re worried about the polishing, cover it with a glaze like pb black hole then a good wax or sealant over it
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

be prepared to be owned by that paint. Black cars I love you and hate you simultaneously.
    Likes Ronkh, The Guz, richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    be prepared to be owned by that paint. Black cars I love you and hate you simultaneously.
    like a high maintenance girl friend
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tropicsteve, trashmanssd, richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had those and the black car was worse. Nothing would satisfy it but many hours spend polishing and re-polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    like a high maintenance girl friend
    Likes Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I`ve had those and the black car was worse. Nothing would satisfy it but many hours spend polishing and re-polishing.
    I still got the pics

Post Thanks / Like

At least it`s easy to see swirls? I`ve learned the hard way white paint makes it near impossible to see scratches except in direct sunlight without a lot of angle trickery.

Post Thanks / Like

That Gray something in the squeeze bottle is a very good fine polish from Menzerna. It`ll work with very hard ceramic clearcoat and normal clear coat as well. Use it with a softer pad like a gray or white for fine polishing.

I`m thinking the 7inch pads on the UDM might not be the best combination. I`d recommend a 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads - more efficient correcting/polishing with the smaller pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I still got the pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    That Gray something in the squeeze bottle is a very good fine polish from Menzerna. It`ll work with very hard ceramic clearcoat and normal clear coat as well. Use it with a softer pad like a gray or white for fine polishing.

I`m thinking the 7inch pads on the UDM might not be the best combination. I`d recommend a 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads - more efficient correcting/polishing with the smaller pads.
    +1, 5"-5.5" pads more efficient and easier to work with. I even like 4" for trunks and bumpers and complicated panels. Newer cars don`t have a lot huge flat areas unless you have a Suburban or Tahoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Prima Amigo, Quality MF towels and a nice long lasting wax or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, my new (2012) `Brazilian girlfriend`...

Thanks John/Trashed... copy that - seems like a plan. I`ll report back. Cheers. Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Black cars are notorious for hiding every kind of dirt imaginable. You kind of have to assume when it needs a bath and go from there. I had a black Taurus years ago and that`s the last time I have owned anything black.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    That Gray something in the squeeze bottle is a very good fine polish from Menzerna..
    BUT..the polishing oils (I assume that`s what did it) can conceal issues like holograms for a while, leading to disappointment when they reappear later. I absolutely would not switch to that PO106FF (actually, I no longer use it at all..) until the paint is basically all corrected.

And yeah, the vehicle where the holograms "came back" had been thoroughly IPA-wiped. (I didn`t do that one, another Autopian did it for me prior to PPF install, an experienced, well-regarded Pro who knows what he`s doing. He was mortified that I had to redo the whole thing, a Yukon XLD.)

Thread Information