Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rubber seal trim around glass ?

The car is a 13 chevy cruze outdoor daily driver in north carolina. So its nothing exotic but i want everything to last as long as possible. Thank you all for the advice the sand method looks doable so i think i will try that after getting the proper rubber prep cleaner. THANK You

Post Thanks / Like

silver2kws6- Just be really, REALLY, *REALLY* careful that you don`t sand the surrounding paint. Yeah, I know..but it`s not all that hard to have an "oops!" and it`d be crazy to mess things up over this. Eh, that`s a big part of why I simply don`t sand such stuff, but that`s just me being paranoid.

Post Thanks / Like

I will first put painters tape behind the rubber for added protection and then across the entire back part above the window. I will also add extra tape along the glass. I can definitely see something going wrong with this project just like i have made doing other detail projects so I am taking my time with this one. Thanks for the caution.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I didn`t sound all insulting or anything...IMO sometimes the most seemingly obvious things can be worth rehashing but I sure didn`t want to insult your intelligence. Speaking of which, don`t leave the tape on there for too long; I`ve had times when I figured "eh, I`ll just take it off later..." and it bit me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Glad I didn`t sound all insulting or anything...IMO sometimes the most seemingly obvious things can be worth rehashing but I sure didn`t want to insult your intelligence. Speaking of which, don`t leave the tape on there for too long; I`ve had times when I figured "eh, I`ll just take it off later..." and it bit me.
    Good to know ! Nothing insults me I would rather someone tell the truth than be pissed it wasn`t said.

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    What Ronkh said plus I clean with IPA and my favorite is Griot`s Garage Rubber Cleaner

but I also like gummi fledge ...
    Use the GG Rubber Prep, a much better product. After cleaning use UTTG for a coating. Never understood the raves about 303, a mediocre product at best. Sanding? No way!

EDIT: Should have read Accumulators post first. He da Man!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t sweat the trim rubber getting dirty or `oxidizing,` I just treat it like I would any other uncoated rubber ... deep clean with an APC and frequently use a rubber protectant. Even from when they were new, the trim on my cars would always turn the cleaning or protectant-applying cloths black. I just never really thought twice about it, I just figured "it is what it is."
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody just *wax* the rubber? I`ve had all sorts of dire warnings about how the solvents in wax will damage it, but my `85 Jag`s exterior rubber is just fine after years and years of waxing (started doing it back around 1988 or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I don`t sweat the trim rubber getting dirty or `oxidizing,` I just treat it like I would any other uncoated rubber ... deep clean with an APC and frequently use a rubber protectant...
    I only think about oxidation in the sense of long-term deterioration, sure don`t want to try finding a weatherstrip twenty years after a vehicle`s out of production!

Don`t you get issues with the rubber protectant running down your paint when it rains? That sort of thing is what prompted me to look for a different approach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information