Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like

So you`re saying move the polisher even slower than the traditional "one inch per second"??` Would this also apply to the use of polishes???
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Pwaug-

`

Try the technique Mr. Theal presented. You will be will be VERY surprised how well it works. ` A good friend and one whom I consider a mentor displayed the same thing to me... it was night and day!

`

I had to change my mindset a little... working with M105/ M100 I would get in one section pass (maybe two at most) and the products were done. `BUT the finish and the removal of defects were both remarkable. I have also experienced less dusting with proper externalities (good weather and good ambient temp.)

`

It`s the ironic saying that applies here... work slower to work faster/ smarter.

`

Regarding polishes/ polishing... my mentor pointed out that the you can work the polishing step faster than the compounding technique being described in this thread...`if you are not `jeweling`. `However, I defer proper polishing technique to other`s more experienced. `

`

The above are just my experiences with the technique Mr. Theal explains in the video.

`

Best regards,

-Dellinger
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good video Barry.

`

Abrasive Isolation is a great phrase. I like to view the leading edge of my pad as the starting point and the rear edge as the end point for a products workability. The heavier the corrective product the longer it typically takes as you`ve shown. Once folks start paying attention to how products talk to them as they work them they stop viewing using a machine as a step a, step b, step c process and more of a dynamic process that requires more time the better their results will get.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Barry!`

Post Thanks / Like

I would much rather make 1-2 extremely slow arm speed passes over a section then 3, 4 or 5 passes at medium speed. This works excellent and everyone should try it and see 1st hand how well it works. Big thanks to Barry for putting this onto paper/video.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug

So you`re saying move the polisher even slower than the traditional "one inch per second"??` Would this also apply to the use of polishes???

`

`

His movement was about 1"/sec. `Assuming the pass was 18" he took 25 seconds moving to his right and just under 20 seconds on the return. Just slightly slower.

`

`

Barry,`

`

It would seem, theoretically, that moving twice that speed but making double the passes would result in the same amount of abrasion. `Just curious to hear your thoughts. `Does the theory change at all when working with DAT products vs. SMAT?

`

For the record I personally choose to move slowly, ~1"/sec, for three reasons:

`

1. `Better able to see the progress being made by comparing the leading edge to the trailing edge. `Multiple fast passes does not give that contrast.

2. `I tend to get a longer working time from polishes since they are not left in a thin layer on the paint exposed to air to dry out.

3. `Easier to keep the pad flat since I use body movement more than arm movement, the latter of which increases likelihood of tilting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree

His movement was about 1"/sec. `Assuming the pass was 18" he took 25 seconds moving to his right and just under 20 seconds on the return. Just slightly slower.

`

`

Barry,`

`

It would seem, theoretically, that moving twice that speed but making double the passes would result in the same amount of abrasion. `Just curious to hear your thoughts. `Does the theory change at all when working with DAT products vs. SMAT?

`

`

1. `Better able to see the progress being made by comparing the leading edge to the trailing edge. `Multiple fast passes does not give that contrast.

2. `I tend to get a longer working time from polishes since they are not left in a thin layer on the paint exposed to air to dry out.

3. `Easier to keep the pad flat since I use body movement more than arm movement, the latter of which increases likelihood of tilting.

`

These are very good questions and observations... interested in the reply.
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn`t Thomas been saying this for some time??`` I seem to remember Tunch even giving him a hard time because he moved the polisher so slow.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree

`

`

Barry,`

`

`

`

`

I feel the slower you go, the more concentrated, efficient AND effective the abrasives are able to do their job properly.`

`

I don`t think you can balance out the equation the way you suggested? 1 pass that takes you 30 seconds compared to 15 passes that takes you 2 seconds each will not give you the same results. The abrasives skim across the surface too quickly.`

`

`

Hasn`t Thomas been saying this for some time??`` I seem to remember Tunch even giving him a hard time because he moved the polisher so slow.

I think many people have been preaching slow arm speed for a while. Barry is the 1st to actually put this idea in an isolated article` `.`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

<span style="font-size:12px;">I don`t think you can balance out the equation the way you suggested? 1 pass that takes you 30 seconds compared to 15 passes that takes you 2 seconds each will not give you the same results. The abrasives skim across the surface too quickly.`

`

`

That`s a little extreme on the example but even with that fast of arm speed it is relatively insignificant compared to the speed of the machine.`

Post Thanks / Like

`

Yes, he would get "pissed" - he didn`t want to hear my explanation

`

Thank god for Barry Theal, for paving the way.` ` <_<` ` ` ` ` ` `

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of topic ...

`

No priming the pad? The pad kinda looked similar to the B&S MF cutting pad.
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque

A bit of topic ...

`

No priming the pad? The pad kinda looked similar to the B&S MF cutting pad.

Nope. WIth the HD polishing compounds you only need a few drops. The lubricants will disperse the abrasives without any issues.`

`

And yes, that`s the exact pad Barry was using. Great pad btw...

Post Thanks / Like

david, can you pm me? for some reason i`am unable to pm anybody!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information