Post Thanks / Like

just another beginner question :)

On body lines such as a crease down the center of a hood, on these high points do you tape them if you are polishing your hood (if there are no scratches in it anyway) Now it seems like you would obviously have un-uniformity where the tape is but polish being a light abrasive will it be ok on these places or will wax blend it up later. Which brings to part 2 of my question will using a buffer always remove a minute amount of clear coat or are the pads that with a wax wont even touch it?

Ps. I did just by a DA to be more safe for me to learn on.

Thanx again guys for all your answers! You guys have been such a big help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: just another beginner question :)

Compounding and polishing will remove part of the clear. For edges and high lines on panels the 3M Vinyl Tape works great.

If you think about it the paint will slightly run off the high spots leaving less paint and clear on the edges as it dries. That is why there are many recommendations to not buff edges.

3M Vinyl Tape

Post Thanks / Like

With rotary, absolutely. With da, not so much. Just don`t dwell long there.

That being said, if the slightest doubt, tape. Cheaper in the long run than repaint.

Post Thanks / Like

will it leave an unfinished look to the taped part and any info on second part of question, thanx for the responce!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

A sharp edge or crease will not have much paint on it anyway because of the angles that make that edge or crease...

These areas will not ever get so dirty that they ever need compounding at an aggressive level... There is just not enough surface area there to hold a bunch of dirt.

Buff (as has been already said above), over these areas quickly and you will not hurt them..

You are in control of the machine - not the other way around -

If you are nervous going over that area, just lift up on the DA and hardly touch it.. Or dont touch it at all...

These areas will look exactly the same when you go and apply your wax or sealant at the end..

They only thing I ever tape is rubber or plastic non painted moldings, and those annoying stick on pinstripes that were popular decades ago, but some people didnt get the word... I tape these things with 1/4" and/or 1/8" tape just to be sure I dont accidently get one to lift up when I go over it with Rotary Power...

You will be fine... Take a deep breath.... Go back out there and do some work...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna try to explain how I do body lines without sounding like I`m condoning bad practice. If I`m running the rotary, I stay away from body lines all together unless I`m jewling. There is nearly nothing more dangerous than a rotary on a sharp body line in the hands of an inexperienced user. A DA is much safer but you still have to watch what your doing. I always stay off of them until maybe the last pass I make with the DA, then Ill carefully polish them out to match the rest of the panel. I don`t do this with compound or cutting pads. Only polish and softer pads. I`ve never had an issue doing it like this but that`s not to say something couldn`t happen tomorrow. Something to keep in mind when your taping, especially when your putting tape directly on paint, is to NOT do this on a repainted panel. EVER. I can`t begin to tell you how many times Ive seen the tape remove paint when you pull it off because of a poor quality repaint., especially on sharp body lines where the paint is thin to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

thanx again guys i love the people on this forum you guys explain stuff so great! I guess all thats left of my question is any input is if a soft pad and wax will remove any clear coat at all with a buffer. Thanx!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateWayz View Post
    thanx again guys i love the people on this forum you guys explain stuff so great! I guess all thats left of my question is any input is if a soft pad and wax will remove any clear coat at all with a buffer. Thanx!
    We are glad to help !

Ref your question - No, a Soft Pad and Wax will Not remove any clear coat using your DA or even a Rotary.... The combination you are asking about is made to apply a wax or sealant (LSP) to the vehicle as the Last Step in the process, so nothing is going to remove any part of the paint, unless of course, the paint is already falling off the car because it has clearcoat failure...

You are good !
    Dan F

Thread Information