Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Detailers turned PPF Installers

    It appears to me car detailing is losing its luster. I notice more and more detailers leaving this trade and moving towards ppf instalation only.
    A group that I belong to on fakebook I often read where it`s recommended to apply ppf over swirled paint.
    I know the money is 100x better but I wonder how many people will be wanting to spend 6k getting their car wrapped when the recession hits.
    Anyone else notice this trend?

  2. #2
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Posts
    4,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    I worked for a great ppf installer for a couple of years recently.. He does just perfect ppf work..Has all the huge printers, etc., to make his own patterns on any vehicle..

    When he saw my perfect black Jeep and Acura TL Type-S, and did work on them, he knew he wanted to be able to offer that service with Coating, and ppf, so that`s where I came in..I did a few jacked, new just off the lot Tesla`s for him, and a gigantic Lexus Suv the biggest black one they make... A huge amount of work..

    I think my Rotary lessons and work, and a lot of machine time, and he is now well on his way...

    So, some ppf guys are actually going the other direction and are very successful at it too..

    I for one will never have ppf installed over swirled, anything, paint..
    I want the best, straightest reflection of light back into my eyes to blind me.. Then I know it`s perfect..

    Having taken some Detailing Business ppf off the sides of my black Grand Cherokee, the worst part of the whole process is getting all the glue that balls up, as you remove it with chemicals.. Takes forever, but it eventually all comes off..

    With the huge increase in everything anymore, (why exactly, is that?) it has come down to about everything now... I just paid $4.25/gallon for Costco Premium this morning...
    Dan F
    Likes The Driver liked this post

  3. #3
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    13,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    $4.25!! Eek!! I think I`m going walk even more than I already do if it gets to that here!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  4. #4
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Posts
    4,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    $4.25!! Eek!! I think I`m going walk even more than I already do if it gets to that here!
    Bill D --
    And Costco up here in CA always has the lowest gas prices!!!
    Dan F

  5. #5
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    13,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    OMG. I feel so bad for you!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

  6. #6
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Posts
    4,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    OMG. I feel so bad for you!
    Thanks !!
    Someday, I will learn to not have vehicles that require Premium... Yeah...Someday...
    Dan F

  7. #7
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    13,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Hmm. My parents have a Grand Cherokee and it runs on regular.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I worked for a great ppf installer for a couple of years recently.. He does just perfect ppf work..Has all the huge printers, etc., to make his own patterns on any vehicle..

    When he saw my perfect black Jeep and Acura TL Type-S, and did work on them, he knew he wanted to be able to offer that service with Coating, and ppf, so that`s where I came in..I did a few jacked, new just off the lot Tesla`s for him, and a gigantic Lexus Suv the biggest black one they make... A huge amount of work..

    I think my Rotary lessons and work, and a lot of machine time, and he is now well on his way...

    So, some ppf guys are actually going the other direction and are very successful at it too..

    I for one will never have ppf installed over swirled, anything, paint..
    I want the best, straightest reflection of light back into my eyes to blind me.. Then I know it`s perfect..

    Having taken some Detailing Business ppf off the sides of my black Grand Cherokee, the worst part of the whole process is getting all the glue that balls up, as you remove it with chemicals.. Takes forever, but it eventually all comes off..

    With the huge increase in everything anymore, (why exactly, is that?) it has come down to about everything now... I just paid $4.25/gallon for Costco Premium this morning...
    Dan F
    4.25. You ain`t seen nothing yet. It`ll be $8 a gallon in another year or two at the rate we are going.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  9. #9
    bob m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    345
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    I`ve had PPF applied to my last few cars (all new) on the whole front end - hood, front bumper, headlights, mirrors, front fenders, 10" on the roof and all those areas were "detailed" by the detailer/installer prior to PPF. I could never, ever imagine doing it any other way. If I moved away from where I`m living now, would never consider an installer who skipped that step. Here in NE/NJ/NYC area, the roads aren`t as "nice/smooth" as some other areas of the country so for my peace of mind and my car`s paint, I use PPF on those areas, but doing the whole car/SUV would be out of my budget and hence out of the question.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post

  10. #10
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Posts
    4,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Hmm. My parents have a Grand Cherokee and it runs on regular.
    Bill D - Perhaps their Grand Cherokee has the V6 in it???

    My Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 has the 5.7 Hemi V8; the manual says to put mid-grade in it, but Costco only sells Regular and Premium..
    When I have taken all those 4,000 mile trips to Texas and back I always look for Union76 or Chevron gas stations that offer the best prices for mid-grade.. Shell has it too, but they are always way, way, more expensive on the road..
    Dan F

  11. #11
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Posts
    4,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    4.25. You ain`t seen nothing yet. It`ll be $8 a gallon in another year or two at the rate we are going.
    bad penny - boy, we hope not!
    In the Los Angeles area off of I-5, they are sometimes, around $6.00/gallon, because they know they can get away with it..
    Dan F

  12. #12
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    13,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Dan- yes its the V6. I forgot there`s a V8 too.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Ppf I bet has put a big dent in the sale of polishers, pads, compounds, polish, waxes and sealants.
    There`s nothing left to do once applied except car washes and boring sprays that really don`t do anything.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    bad penny - boy, we hope not!
    In the Los Angeles area off of I-5, they are sometimes, around $6.00/gallon, because they know they can get away with it..
    Dan F
    It`s currently 5.25(ish) In Orange county
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  15. #15
    dansautodetailing.com Stokdgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Posts
    4,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Detailers turned PPF Installers

    Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    It`s currently 5.25(ish) In Orange county
    Ouch!!!!!
    Dan F

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For all you PPF installers out there
    By mobiledynamics in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2019, 08:38 PM
  2. ?s About Clear Bra for Pro Installers
    By Swanicyouth in forum Professional Detailer General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 04:36 PM
  3. Clear bra installers in MA/NH?
    By Hank Schrader in forum Northeast USA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM
  4. Any 3M Scotchgard Installers around NH
    By Yuri2002 in forum Northeast USA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
  5. Any clear-bra installers in So Cal?
    By kpagel in forum Southwest USA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 07:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •