Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just getting started here. My plan was originally to be going mobile, but I`m reconsidering just doing that 1-2 days a week and then taking appt at my home shop for the rest. If I end up doing heavy duty work like paint correction and stuff that takes more than a few hours, I`d like to be able to use my shop, as I don`t think it`s as easy and effective mobile. I have a 1200` shop at my house, so plenty of room.

I`m in a rural area, though, so it would probably take most people 15 minutes to get here (not uncommon here in my area, it takes me 20 minutes to get to walmart.)

I was curious how other guys who have a "hybrid" business model with mobile and home-based work.

I could go pick up vehicles, but the insurance is a bit hairy on that stuff.

A couple of follow up questions if the answer is to try to do as much stuff in my shop, with 1-2 days a week mobile:

1) So, do I make a big deal out of my location just to make sure it`s clear? I don`t want people canceling on me. The farthest someone might come would be about 20 miles or so. How do I go about setting the right expectations?

2) I like the discount idea, just for clarification, is this drop off the night before thing even for basic services like wash and interior and maybe one-steps or are we talking about 4-6 hour jobs only? I wouldn`t think most people would want to sit and wait even for a 2 hour job, but I guess you never know that either.

I could just do mobile for quick jobs on certain days, and the other stuff here.

3) Do you guys at home do signage, or since it`s more by appt just incognito?

This is my shop:

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    ideal setup! mobile a few days, and home based for the rest! get your mobile days for the routine/weekly clients, and then the rest for polishing work.

get in bed with a tow company and have them pickup/deliver (split costs, client pays, you pay options)

pick/deliver service yourself (you drive)

They drive to you!

Think about it...most people dont have a problem with driving to you. They have to drive to dinner, to walmart, to the nursery, the oil change shop, the dealership...why should detailing be any different?!?!?! I`ve had people drive 2 hours for me to detail their cars, and have had people spend an extra 1000 for me to make the drive to Arizona for a weeks worth of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I can maybe help you a bit with this because I am in somewhat of a similar boat, but not with near as nice of shop!

I do about 70% mobile, 30% pick up and delivery, and I can tell you it is great to have a pick up delivery because there are times when you just cannot do mobile:

Bad weather

Not allowed to work at clients car location

Not enough room to work at vehicle location

Client not comfortable with you coming to their home... it happens

Just do not do pick up and delivery for small jobs, because unless people start paying for your traveling expenses, it is not worth it.

Also, pick up and delivery is much more efficient for jobs where the vehicle is closer by (5-15 min away), just because you will not have to load up all of your gear, then unload it again.

On the insurance side, commercial unowned auto insurance is not horribly expensive, especially if your are pricing your services right. Check into it if you are going to be driving your clients vehicles more than every once in a while.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Hopefully this at least helped clarify a bit for you.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHA Mark
    Ok I can maybe help you a bit with this because I am in somewhat of a similar boat, but not with near as nice of shop!

I do about 70% mobile, 30% pick up and delivery, and I can tell you it is great to have a pick up delivery because there are times when you just cannot do mobile:

Bad weather

Not allowed to work at clients car location

Not enough room to work at vehicle location

Client not comfortable with you coming to their home... it happens

Just do not do pick up and delivery for small jobs, because unless people start paying for your traveling expenses, it is not worth it.

Also, pick up and delivery is much more efficient for jobs where the vehicle is closer by (5-15 min away), just because you will not have to load up all of your gear, then unload it again.

On the insurance side, commercial unowned auto insurance is not horribly expensive, especially if your are pricing your services right. Check into it if you are going to be driving your clients vehicles more than every once in a while.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Hopefully this at least helped clarify a bit for you.

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it! I`m waiting to hear from my insurance gal on my current coverage that I just got and if I need a separate rider.

BTW, really like your website, that`s what I`ve been doing for the last 15 years, I own a development company. Ready to get out from behind the desk a bit more. I might steal some of your ideas for my new site. ;->

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davisautodetail
    Thanks Mark, I appreciate it! I`m waiting to hear from my insurance gal on my current coverage that I just got and if I need a separate rider.

BTW, really like your website, that`s what I`ve been doing for the last 15 years, I own a development company. Ready to get out from behind the desk a bit more. I might steal some of your ideas for my new site. ;->

No problem man, glad I could help out a bit. I`m really happy with the new website, it has already developed a ton of new business for me. If you have any ideas or thoughts you want to run by me feel free to post or PM. I`m not the most experienced detailer or businessman in the world, but if I can help you out I will.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have the right idea there. I don`t know your demographics, but if you plan on getting into high end detailing, you could pick up a flatbed trailer and just pick up your customer cars and charge a premium. That shop could be an amazing detail shop that`s for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven
    I think you have the right idea there. I don`t know your demographics, but if you plan on getting into high end detailing, you could pick up a flatbed trailer and just pick up your customer cars and charge a premium. That shop could be an amazing detail shop that`s for sure.

Yeah, I already have big enclosed car trailer that I use to transport my cobra and cars that I buy and fix up, so I need to highlight that service for people (especially here in the winter time) that might have classics in their garage, but want to prep them for Spring during the Winter.

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who has folks drop off cars as well as handling a lot of mobile jobs, all of which are 1~5 day jobs, do not make an issue of the location. In my experience, you let the client know what you do and what`s available. If you`re not down to do a mobile full correction, you tell them. They can then make the choice to drop the car off and use you, or not if it`s not worth it. But bottom line, there is no need to make it a "big-deal".

I do not agree with offering a discount. You`re service is what it is. Some will prefer a drop off, some won`t. Unless you give a substantial discount(bad idea), it probably will not sway someone to or from.

There is no signage. It`s pretty much like this. "This is where I live for a drop off." -"Hey great to finally meet you. Let`s take a look at the car! Tell me what you don`t like...(on and on)"

Davis, here`s the thing. If someone is going to use your company, they are using you. I`ve not come across someone who thought more or less of me for offering either mobile or a drop off service. They are focused on who is doing the work, not where. Then again, if they roll up and you look like trash say good bye. But all other things being professional. They don`t care that you work out of your garage. Btw, I believe you have a SMOKING garage there and as a professional, that`s impressive for a home garage! Rock on!!
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!

I think my plan is to just do mobile one day a week with specific services that would cater to those clients, such as a pretty basic wash, vacuum, one step, just slightly less stuff than my executive detail. I`m doing 3 days then in shop, which will allow me to do higher end/more advanced details.

I`ve also been playing around with flipping cars, and one of the detailing services I want to offer is what I`m calling "dealer prep." It`s basically what I do on my own cars, and it`s sort of "the works," full exterior with one step, full interior, with steam stain removal as needed, then engine detailing. I can then upsell the client for stuff like headlight restoration, paint chip repair, basic PDR (by the way, I found a "glue stick" kit on Amazon for pretty cheap that works surprisingly well, I pulled about 5 small dents and dings out of this Neon I`m working on for sale.)

Of course, all of that stuff has to be done in the shop.

Eventually, it would be nice to just drop the mobile all together. One nice thing for me is that I already have a small trailer that just needs a paint job, and everything else I either already had or need for in shop anyway, so the relative cost is the same. I drive a Yukon XL, and I`m planning to do a partial wrap on that.

Great advice, thanks!

KD

Thread Information