Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about starting a small business for awhile. I work full-time in education so I want to supplement my income. I looked at a bunch of different types of businesses (cleaning, landscape, etc.) but I decided that I like the concept of a mobile detailing business.

Some of what I liked about mobile detailing are low start-up, I can build the business as large as I want it to grow or keep it small for the time being (busy with full-time job). I can run it by myself but when if I get a busy day then I can call in my wife for help. The flexibility of mobile detailing. I can detail after work and weekends and for the larger jobs I want to do pick-up and drop off. Because of the relatively small start-up cost, I really am not pressured to do a lot of details in my first year. Ultimately, I would like to get a steady clientele that will keep me busy for about 15-20 hours a week during peak times (summer) and modestly busy in the winter, a detail or two a week. Another thing about part-time detailing that I found nice was the flexibility with my personal life. If I want to take a vacation in the summer I can and just move business around a bit. With a lot of small businesses this cannot be done.

I definitely want to do this right and this site has helped me learn a lot, on both the business side and detailing side.

For the part-time mobile guys, what is your gross income for a year? The one thing that I have had difficulty figuring out what I expect to gain in my first year/ second year/ five years. Some help on this would be great.

Thanks for all the postings on this very informative site. Autopia is the the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, sounds like you have it all played out. Although I thought the same thing a few years back....now its different. Things don`t always work out like that. Also with moving business around a bit while you take a vacation might mean a loss of a client when you get back. Unless they trust you and like you very much, if you are gone for 2+ weeks you might not have them when you come back. That is how I got a client with some very nice cars. There guy had gone on vacation and they had a show to go to, well I was called and now they don`t use anyone but me. It takes time to get to the point where you can actually take some time off and not have to worry about coming back 1 or more clients short. Its not an easy gig, it takes a lot of commitment. You have to be good at what you do, have kick a$$ customer service, and don`t leave them wanting more. A lot of people come in to this business thinking its easy and quick money, not true. Its a lot harder than some people think. Anyone can start something like this up and be a hack, it takes a lot more to start something like this and be a good detailer and get recommended by people.

Not trying to be rude, just don`t want you to think its easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the comments!

I definitely understand that it is not easy and that it takes a lot of hard work to earn a living.

In regards to the vacation thing, I usually only take no longer than 5 day vacations in the summer and only 2-3 times a year. Any extended vacation plans, lets say Disney World will definitely be in the slow time of year in Rhode island, winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started doing this two years ago. My first year I worked 31 weekends without any advertising at all. This year I built a website, put a review on Yelp.com and, at the end of the year, will have worked 45 weekends. All on word of mouth with no advertising at all.

There hasn`t been a weekend that I have gone away that has affected my business. I am going on a cruise Saturday and will miss two weekends. I don`t tell people that I am gone, I tell them that I am booked and that give the perception that I am busy and my work is desired. That makes them think that I am worth the wait, which I am, and they don`t run looking for someone else. It`s all about customer perception.

I think of myself as very successful because I am doing exactley what I set out to do. One, maybe two, cars a weekend with the focus on quality work. It has paid off quite well. Just make sure you do what you say you are going to do. Never bite off more than you can chew. Commuincate with the customer at all times!! Be yourself!!

I work out of my home and a lot of people have been kind of wierd about leaving their cars overnight with me. Once they meet me and we talk everything is fine. So just be yourself and you should be fine!!

Thread Information