Post Thanks / Like
    Im going to be opening up a a home based detailing business with mobile services available, Here is a list of how i plan to get my business name out there and hopefully start building my clientele.Let me know if i am missing anything or if some of this might not be a good idea and why thanks in advance.

*Introduce myself to all local auto body /repair/rentals shops in the area and let them know about my services , leave them some business cards and price lists for my services . Offer them 10% discount to them and there families.

*Introduce myself at schools, hospitals ,clinics, police, fire and all other emergency services . Leave them price lists and business cards. Offer 10% discount to them because they are public servants. Show appreciation for what they do !!!

*website setup / google ads

*craigslist/ other free local advertising

*Logo and business name on my vehicles

*local car dealers , introduce myself let them know that i can give them multi car discount or dealer special

*Refer -a- friend program if you have work done by me and then you refer someone to me i will wash and vac you car 1 time for free( only with complete detail packages of course)

*Multi car discounts

*Economy detail packages custom packages put together by the customer and myself at time of visual inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever hired someone because they introduced themselves one time?

Ever hired someone because they dropped off one flyer or price list? The operative word here is one. If you plan to drop off flyers be prepared to do it six or seven times. Don`t waste your time on six or seven areas, hit one area over and over. Let people know you`re here to stay.

A business name on your vehicles is good if the whole package looks good. Is the vehicle clean and polished, good condition, late model? Do you wear work clothes? Long pants, a buckle free belt, a polo type shirt, work shoes?

Can you afford to give discounts and are you prepared to deal with a customer who says he has five cars and wants the discount but wants you to do one car now just to show what you can do or because the other cars aren`t available at the moment?

Referrals are the one thing that really work. If you do a great job and your customer says so, don`t say thank you, say, tell your friends. When their friends call, then call the client and say thank you for the referral. If you want to go by and say thank you with a car wash after the referral it will be more effective than offering it up front because it will be unexpected.

As far as economy detail packages are concerned, they are fine for some people but be careful. Some people want premium detailing for the economy price, make sure if they ask for economy they get good value for money but if they ask about why you didn`t polish the paint out and do a huge paint correction be sure you`re prepared to explain the difference in time and materials. Then, because you`ve got the car better prepared, you can offer the premium detail at a discount - for next time - because the car will start in better shape.

Robert

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard
    Have you ever hired someone because they introduced themselves one time?

Ever hired someone because they dropped off one flyer or price list? The operative word here is one. If you plan to drop off flyers be prepared to do it six or seven times. Don`t waste your time on six or seven areas, hit one area over and over. Let people know you`re here to stay.

A business name on your vehicles is good if the whole package looks good. Is the vehicle clean and polished, good condition, late model? Do you wear work clothes? Long pants, a buckle free belt, a polo type shirt, work shoes?

Can you afford to give discounts and are you prepared to deal with a customer who says he has five cars and wants the discount but wants you to do one car now just to show what you can do or because the other cars aren`t available at the moment?

Referrals are the one thing that really work. If you do a great job and your customer says so, don`t say thank you, say, tell your friends. When their friends call, then call the client and say thank you for the referral. If you want to go by and say thank you with a car wash after the referral it will be more effective than offering it up front because it will be unexpected.

As far as economy detail packages are concerned, they are fine for some people but be careful. Some people want premium detailing for the economy price, make sure if they ask for economy they get good value for money but if they ask about why you didn`t polish the paint out and do a huge paint correction be sure you`re prepared to explain the difference in time and materials. Then, because you`ve got the car better prepared, you can offer the premium detail at a discount - for next time - because the car will start in better shape.

Robert

Thank you for the insight, I do plan on bugging these areas once a month for the first year. I see what your saying about multi car discounts , my thinking in that scenario would be detail the first car if he says he doesnt like it then then i havent done my job right. At that point i would charge him what we both determined was fair and move on. luckily i dont have a huge overhead to fill.

As for referrals , My thinking is that the free wash and vac gives them even more incentive to tell there friends and i should of clarified that it would be done at my shop only( unless i was in there area). Also i do plan on looking professional with polo t-shirts - black pants work shoes the whole nine yards.

Economy details: i know exactly what your saying its like doing a used car lots cars for 75.00 and they want you to buff and polish it all out as well. I think it comes down to just setting expectations up front just as you are saying. Thanks again i appreciate your insight!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you as well, I have viewed those several times , I am a very experienced detailer , but i have never had my own shop/business. I have been doing this for over 15 years now and was the shop manager at a detail shop for over 5 years , so i have the experience and knowledge of detailing .I just need to get comfortable with the selling portion . Your article definately helped with this side thing as well as from the "business" standpoint. Very well written by the way

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at local car clubs as well. Get somebody`s Vette from dull to wow and you`ll have a bunch of vettes to do. Likewise MG`s, Jaguars, hot rods, etc, etc. Look for cruise nights and go to them, maybe offer a demonstration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptzippy
    Look at local car clubs as well. Get somebody`s Vette from dull to wow and you`ll have a bunch of vettes to do. Likewise MG`s, Jaguars, hot rods, etc, etc. Look for cruise nights and go to them, maybe offer a demonstration.

Great idea thanks !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Thread Information