Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering how? So for you that work on the car for several hours either from your detail shop or your personal garage what do you do with the client? Do you have them wait there at your personal home for there car to get done? Or do you go pick up their car? Do they drop it off and have a ride with them to leave it there for the day..

Just wondering how the customer gets there car there and are they okay with leaving it with you for hours at a time or even over night...

I am out of a job and have been for a very long time now.. And I just been pondering the thought of detailing a few cars here and there and only spreading by word of mouth not a full time business yet..

Post Thanks / Like
    If its just a simple job in the shop, and if there`s a waiting room, the customer can wait there, or maybe a nearby cafe etc.

But if it`s a major job, then during the pre-job discussion, this must be made clear to the car owner that he/she will make their own transport arrangements. He might have someone to drop the car at your shop, or he might even request you to send him somewhere and pick him up when the car is ready. Anything goes. The customer is KING, especially when its a major detailing job.

To me, the pre-job discussion is critical.

This is the time for the customer to explain his paint problems, expectations, discussion about time and budget.

I spend minimum 30mins on this discussion. Could drag to few hours or entire day, if I`m getting his car re-sprayed, restored etc etc.

You shd also educate him/her that it is common for jobs to take several days or even weeks, depending on the type of job.

Some cars hv stayed in my place for 1-2mths without getting out.

For a major job, discussion points will be emailed to car owner on the same day of the discussion.

But one thing that I refuse to do, till this day: Driving detailed vehicle to customer`s place.

NEVER do this.

You`ll never know what you`ll meet on the way (rain, drizzle, lotsa dust, accident etc).

Worse, when you reach your destination, the car might not be "fresh" anymore (eg: brake dust on rims, dust etc, and you hv to bring a bottle of detailer and do on-the-spot touchup, which i detest). Also, his place will most possibly be shaded and won`t hv the proper lighting to show that his problems have been solved. Some detailers I know even park it inside a dark basement at the client`s office!!!!

I insist that my customers text or call me when they are on the way to my shop. Car will be covered up.

Then, the 6 huge metal halide high bay lights (huge power sappers) will be switched on as they take a while to warm up.

The car MUST be perfectly presentation-ready when customer arrives without me or my staff having to rush when the customer walks in.

I`m fanatical about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigondaz
    If its just a simple job in the shop, and if there`s a waiting room, the customer can wait there, or maybe a nearby cafe etc.

But if it`s a major job, then during the pre-job discussion, this must be made clear to the car owner that he/she will make their own transport arrangements. He might have someone to drop the car at your shop, or he might even request you to send him somewhere and pick him up when the car is ready. Anything goes. The customer is KING, especially when its a major detailing job.

To me, the pre-job discussion is critical.

This is the time for the customer to explain his paint problems, expectations, discussion about time and budget.

I spend minimum 30mins on this discussion. Could drag to few hours or entire day, if I`m getting his car re-sprayed, restored etc etc.

You shd also educate him/her that it is common for jobs to take several days or even weeks, depending on the type of job.

Some cars hv stayed in my place for 1-2mths without getting out.

For a major job, discussion points will be emailed to car owner on the same day of the discussion.

But one thing that I refuse to do, till this day: Driving detailed vehicle to customer`s place.

NEVER do this.

You`ll never know what you`ll meet on the way (rain, drizzle, lotsa dust, accident etc).

Worse, when you reach your destination, the car might not be "fresh" anymore (eg: brake dust on rims, dust etc, and you hv to bring a bottle of detailer and do on-the-spot touchup, which i detest). Also, his place will most possibly be shaded and won`t hv the proper lighting to show that his problems have been solved. Some detailers I know even park it inside a dark basement at the client`s office!!!!

I insist that my customers text or call me when they are on the way to my shop. Car will be covered up.

Then, the 6 huge metal halide high bay lights (huge power sappers) will be switched on as they take a while to warm up.

The car MUST be perfectly presentation-ready when customer arrives without me or my staff having to rush when the customer walks in.

I`m fanatical about this.

Now everyone can learn from this guy! I like the attention to detail here, great advice.
    u gotta invest money to make money!

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my clients drop their cars off on Friday and pick up on Sunday. It`s great when they have multiple vehicles so you can do back to back details and it makes it easier (logistically) for pick up/drop off.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    All details dropped off at my shop stay the entire day (drop off around 8am, pickup around 5pm). Some folks need a ride to work or home (I`d say probably 50% of clients), the rest either have a friend / family member follow them down and drive them away, or walk or find other means. Most people find their own way back to the shop at the end of the day (I assume most have a co-worker drop them off on their way home).

I do not currently have a suitable "waiting" area, which is something I wish to work on this winter.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    I mostly do mobile detailing, but when i have a big job (10+ hrs) lined up i have the customer drop it of the night before or very early in the morning...if they dont have a ride, i drop them off in my personal vehicle, doing so lets me talk to the customer more and helps me develope a more personal relationship with the customer....and when the car is done, if they dont have a ride i will pick them up in my personal vehicle again......
    PRISTINE DETAILS

SERVING THE ENTIRE S.F. BAY AREA

Marco (Owner/Operator)

Post Thanks / Like
    Never drive a customer`s vehicle around. If you get in an accident, it goes on THEIR insurance policy. Pretty much the worst advertising you could ever do to yourself. Those of you with business insurance policies: 99% of policies out there do NOT cover you in this circumstance. Their reasoning is that the customer has essentially loaned you the vehicle, just as they would be loaning the vehicle to their friend or relative. I`ve only ever found one company that would cover a customer`s vehicle if we drove it around, and that policy was over $3000 a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the companies I was insured with allowed us to drive customer`s cars. It insured ANY vehicle in our possession that was not owned by us. We paid $2000/yr.

If you damage a customer`s car and their insurance initially pays the claim, you can bet that they will be subrogating against your garage policy (1st) and then onto you. If you plan on driving client`s vehicles, make sure you have the adequate coverage. It`s a must any time you do off-site detailing with dealerships.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    David`s right.

I have $xxxxxx.xx coverage but if someone rolls up in a million dollar car, all I have to do is make a call and bump up the coverage for a few days. Doing it this way saves a lot of money in premiums.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    All the companies I was insured with allowed us to drive customer`s cars. It insured ANY vehicle in our possession that was not owned by us. We paid $2000/yr.

If you damage a customer`s car and their insurance initially pays the claim, you can bet that they will be subrogating against your garage policy (1st) and then onto you. If you plan on driving client`s vehicles, make sure you have the adequate coverage. It`s a must any time you do off-site detailing with dealerships.
    I should throw out there, that this is my experience in Canada, not the USA. It may be different for you folks in the US.

Here, if I drive a customer`s vehicle and get in an at-fault accident, it`s their insurance that pays. The customer`s only recourse is to try and suit me in small claims court (or supreme court, depending on the amount of the damages), but unless they can prove that I intentionally tried to get into an accident, case-precendant shows that they won`t win. General liability (which is what a Garage policy is covered under here) doesn`t cover on-road vehicle accidents (that`s what vehicle insurance is for).

In either case, yes, if you`re going to drive around customer vehicles, then make sure you have adequate coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    My insurance covers me in my garage, in my customers garage, my customers in their garage, and my customers in my garage, along with covering me with driving their car. I can`t imagine operating without this coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking to add on "Pick-up" service for my Auto Spa in San Diego. What kind insurance is needed for that? Garage keepers, I think but I am not sure.

Thanks!
    Joe-Owner

SoCal Mobile Auto Detail

www.TheSoCalWay.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information