Post Thanks / Like
    Hello my new friends:

My name is Jeremy, and I am coming to you "live" from South Alabama.

About 5 months ago, in a completely random conversation, that had nothing to do with this topic, God basically "dropped" a cigarette burn repair business in my lap. There are more details to the story, but, He has ordered EVERY STEP so far, and it`s going nicely. I have met someone who is now a good friend, and he is working in the avenue of burn repair, pinstriping, and leather/vinyl repair as well. In working with him, I, to a degree, have the burn repair down, even though my color placement is not exactly perfect yet, but, with each job that I do, I am getting more accustomed to it all. I have not yet pinstriped a car for money, but, I have done my own vehicle, and know that with practice, I can get good as well.

I have started marketing my business, and have 1 local dealership that I go visit on a weekly basis. In the past 2 months, I have done 1 burn repair for them, but, I spend about 30 minutes over there every week, so, it`s not a big deal. (I have a full time job, and I am just slowly growing this business to either replace, or double, my full time income.) I am excited that this Saturday, I have 3 dealerships that I am going to visit and service, as it was pre-arranged 2 weeks ago. I just hope they have work.

Here is my situation that I am seemingly run into. (Let me preface this that I have called on less then 10 dealerships, and, I don`t know if this is indicative of what I will find in this area.) There is someone here in this area that they have that does burn repair and pinstripes. Now, I know that he does not have all the business, but, he has the ones that I call on.

Basically, I am looking for a profitable niche that I can get into. I may find that as I get more dealerships, the burns/stripes will be just fine. As one friend pointed out to me today, I don`t want to get too burdened down, which is, consequently, one of the reasons that I don`t market too heavily now - because, I do have a full time job that I am satisfied with (until I can either hire someone, or make a lot more than I make at my current job of around $30K.)

Here are some things I have either heard about, or researched just a tad. I would strongly appreciate input on any of them, or, other suggestions as well:

Acid Rain Removal from Windshields

Windshield Repair

Headlight Repair

Deodorizing

Headliner Replacement

Burn Repair

Leather/Vinyl

Off of the top of my head, that seems like it`s the most current, up to date list that I have. If anyone has any input or suggestions on these, or any other, services, I`d be really grateful.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of the list you made I think you would get the most jobs through headlight repair. If you look around there really are a lot of cars that are getting the yellowed lenses. It is something that is easy to market and not at all hard to do. You might want to look into something like Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) if you were looking to have this take over your new job. I think that would be a solid addition to what you already know how to do and would increase your profits especially since you seem to have many dealerships in the area that already know you.

Post Thanks / Like
    PDR is awesome, I`ve had it done on my vehicles in the past and have been very impressed with the results.

I don`t know your area, but where I live, the biggest seller on your list would definitely be windshield repairs (from cracks and chips, all they do there is throw gravel and sand on the road in the winter, no salting).
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Thread Information