Thread: mobile vs shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Help, Help, need pros and cons on this subject. Looking to expand and would really like to have a shop.:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re looking to expand, and you`re currently making money mobile, then why change? I have a fixed operation, and I will tell you it takes "A LOT" of business to make money, AND however much money you think it`s going to take to get the shop up and running, triple that number. With a mobile business it`s a lot easier to control your low overhead, but with a fixed operation you have a lot of fixed costs. These fixed costs can throw a big wrench in your idea of "making money". If however you`re booked out two plus weeks all year, and think you can stay extremely busy, then a fixed operation allows you to make more money while your employees do the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya no matter mobile or fixed you need money an clients means more money for advertising signs products etc. it`s not all a bowl of cherries lol good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    shop-controlled climate, everything at your disposal at all times, spend longer time on cars (multiple days for heavy-restorations) and can charge hourly. With a shop you can offer both mobile or drive-in service.

mobile-convenient for customer but limited by weather and daylight. easy to expand and your customers are as far as you`re willing to drive. Where as with a shop, you better have some serious reputation to bring them to you.

Honestly, I`d rather have a shop, but i`m not in that financial position nor recognized enough to do so. Maybe in a few years. Good luck!

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    I think operating a shop works best if you work with partners or associates. Partners are shareholders of a business, whereas associates operate independently of one another, but share the same facility.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only done a handful of mobile details but just from them I would easily say I want a fixed location over a mobile set up. Having both and using them effectively helps you net more fish in the sea so to speak. But as far as pro`s and cons. The obvious pro`s to the set location is more volume, work in any weather at anytime of day, You have everything you could need right in arms length.. The con`s however are it obviously cost more to operate, And certian "High end" clients usually won`t bring their collectable cars to you. (really all depends on your niche if this would matter or not) Higher insurence cost

The pro`s of mobile are low start up cost. The con`s are weather, light, cancelling clients can really put a damper in your bottom line because mobil set ups usually only are able to deal with a client at a time. If a detail runs long you could run the potential of loosing your next client (pending how you book) the wear and tear on your vehicle, the extra cost of gas, if you forget something you need (or just assumed wrong and didn`t bring it on purpose) you`re either out of luck or will need to spend extra time trying to figure out a work around or going back to get the said item.

That being said there are highly succesful people on both sides of the coin. Rickrack and Rydawg have a set location and do extreamly well (many others too) and even get out once in awhile for mobile missions why guys like Todd Helmes and scottwax are purely mobile (AFAIK) and also are extreamly successful at what they do. So pro`s or con`s you can create a very viable business with either choice you make. Do what makes sense to you. You`re budget, equipement, and business plan.
    -Jake Bright Dynamics Auto Spa.

Post Thanks / Like
    The answer to this question has way too many variables. Having been mobile for 4 years, I can say these things; fairly low start-up costs, convenience for customers, low expenses. On the negative side; niche market (limited demand), waste a lot of time driving around, scheduling, extreme weather, and low recognition. Having said that, I would like to have a shop, however, there are some issues with that as well. It would have to be the right location (prominent) that gets good drive by traffic. It would cost a lot more money because of the previous statement. Nice building with a nice interior and exterior. A shop would require a much higher investment in equipment so that it runs very efficiently. It would also require employees, and along with that comes workers compensation, and the headache of having to manage those employees. A shop, however, if done right has the potential to make much more money than a mobile operation. You can take advantage of economies of scale that I believe are not possible with a mobile operation. Bottom line is a shop is a higher risk, but also a potentially higher reward.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the Pro`s and Con`s of both and I agree with you all. I`m mobile and not quite ready for the building yet. I am growing and making money. Trying to be cautious in a tight economical time.My question is for the fixed location guys and gals. How do you do in the winter if you are in a climate like me in Ohio? I mean I know people still want their vehicles cleaned, but we have snow on the roads? Scheese! Are most of the fixed businesses in Florida type weather with high end customers? I have all the profit areas covered,just in bad weather I wonder how I would survive? Maybe I`d have to move to a different city! The thought of starting over somewhere else is not pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like
    In bad weather you do whatever you can. Offer lower cost clean-ups and hand washing, account work, etc. Also offering things that are related like PDR, Wheel Repair, Headlight Restoration, etc. will give you a little boost. Ideally you`ll make enough in spring, summer and fall so that the hit you take in winter won`t ruin your year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. Ideally, you would be so efficient, that on good days (weather wise) you will make enough money to account for the days when bad weather slows business. I am a true believer that for a shop to be successful, you need the right location, and MUST be extremely efficient.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Thread Information