Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know how it is around the rest of the country, but here in Los Angeles the market is saturated with "detailer`s" to the point where its annoying. I dunno what it was today, but I kept seeing a bunch of "detailer`s" today rolling around in their trucks & vans more than ever or maybe I just paid more attention. It made me think. Aside from keeping my good customers and targeting my primary demo`s, that actually appreciate a good detailer and understand what`s involved, why not move into the over-stocked market of the volume "detailer"? Of course this has been covered on Autopia a billion times, but the average person has no idea what a detail is or what it is supposed to look like for that matter. So, with all these hacks and car-cleaners getting volume like mad while the average Autopian gets what, one or two jobs a week, I am thinking of marketing to a different type of customer. These are Craigslister`s, price shoppers, people who generally don`t care much their cars, but would like a decent "clean it up" job and used car dealers (if you think about it, they`re really one in the same). Anyway, I know I would be a bunch more steady if I lowered my rates and did a quarter of the work. No machine polishing, no boutique/high end products (the company who supplies most of the swirl-o-matics around here with supplies is 10 minutes away from me and their prices are super cheap) and basically, I hate to say it, but cutting corners would be a sure bullseye with these customers. I say, screw the $75 detail! I`ll do it for $65, it`ll take me 2 hours and it will look like a $65 "detail"; you won`t know the diffrence anyway!

I knew a guy who set up at a swapmeet, had minimal supplies and I mean 2 buckets, 2 mitts, a wet/dry shop vac and some absorbers. He would only work on Saturdays and Sundays, a total of 16 hours more or less. Figure, the minimum he would get per wash was $8, if you wanted "Armor All" it would be $3 more. From open to close he would be busy, non-stop. He would bang out like 4 cars an hour, so thats $32/hr minimum. Multiply $32x16 and that brings you to $512/weekend; $2048/ month. The only reason he went out of business is because the owners of the property ended up selling to developers for new apartment complexes, I still think he would have been in business if otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    No one in my area needs a wash/wax due to the fact that they do it themselves. You have to play to your area. If you think thats what is necessary, then try it out. It can`t hurt to try

PS-Did you get my PMs?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have considered offering "express" detail services. However, I was going to differentiate it from my current offerings by outsourcing this work 100%. It`s a little late in the season to start this up and I will likely offer it in the Spring. Will need to find a good mobile guy to outsource to but I have my eye on one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s a good way to get customers in your door. I usually start my customers off with a complete detail, but sell smaller services later, as "maintenance services". After we have professionally corrected the paint, it shouldn`t need another full polish for some time.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that "volume" detailing does have its place. Just look at any full service tunnel car wash that "details" a vehicle for an extra charge. The vast majority of customers seem to be satisfied with these (in our eyes) less than ideal results. Others look at the financial component of a detailing service and are only willing for a basic wash/wax service. Either way, this is an option to help keep/retain customers, while still be able to set up full service details.

Post Thanks / Like
    EYEZACK87 - I plan on getting on it this Monday. There are a bunch of small dealers in my area that I am going to start with. Yes, thanks for the M105! Check your PM`s!

HOLDEN_C04 - Outsourcing, eh? I never thought about that for this type of service. I don`t think it would work here for me in fear of the 3rd party snaking customers, but could possibly work out for you.

JOHNKLEVEN - Right, the other goal here is to pick up good customers along the way. In contrast to you, with these customers i would need to start them of with basic services and then up sell them as I go along. I figure I can, at the minimum, sell them waxes every 3 months and full polishes once a year after I get my foot in.

LONGDX - I agree. Its only because of what people don`t know about detailing that prevents us from sometimes getting what we are worth. Its def a balancing act between price and service with us and these type of customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright kids, I just put up a few adverts to test my theory out. We`ll see if we get any bites in the next couple of days. :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain here, all the people that i have accumulated since moving to ABQ are wash/wax customers, nobody wants or cares to spend the money on a full correction. I have thought about just trying to get some express details in, however it defeats the purpose of what i am trying to achieve..but then again i do this on the side, and dont use it as primary income..and above all we all need to put food on the table...One thing i have noticed from experience is that if you get customers in the door for cut-rate prices, they will expect these all the time and you wont be able to go up and say let me correct your car for 500 bucks...they will be satisfied with just your express. This is what i have ran into anyway, obviously no way for me to tell that it would happen to you, but at least something to look out for.

Post Thanks / Like
    SoCalB6,

I understand how you feel.

Those el`cheapo "polish and wax" places do have their own type of customers.

Customers who just want it cheap, know nuts about detailing and want it done fast.

And it gives a funny feeling seeing so many cars flocking to those places.

We must stand firm and be committed to our business direction.

IMO, in this kind of budget "quick and dirty" jobs, you`ll be rushing like a mad dog, dishing out crappy jobs that you are not satisified. Dead tired at the end of the day, and earning a pittance. In short, it`s an insult to our passion.

Many of my customers actually come from these el-cheapo places!!!

They end up with swirls, holograms, insufficiently cleaned interiors and look to me for rectification. And I charge a very high price for rectification!

Look at it this way:

The more these places sprout up, the better....cos it makes us look more professional, and eventually, consumers will wise up, and look for us to do even budget jobs.

Don`t even bother to see these places because our target market is different.

Alternatively, you can lower your rates for people who are not so demanding and make yourself more accessible to the masses.

For example, I hv increased my business significantly by using this strategy:

Advise the customer that professional work (proper compounding etc etc) will only be done on critical areas such as the hood, trunk lid and rear C pillars to remove swirls.

On the vertical panels, it`ll just be a normal polish and wax. You don`t need to pro the entire car. Many customers are OK with this, as they claim, they cant see swirls in the doors and it`s not critical.

Instead of the premium priced waxes, I will opt for the much lower-priced Japanese waxes that look darn good and last so much longer.

I am not in the US and mine is a small low-volume business, but daily at the minimum, I do either:

1. Two full professional jobs (USD 350-550 avg per job)

2. 2-3 medium jobs (USD avg 100-150 per job)

Many cars stay overnite at my place, where work will continue into the night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of pricing, I got my car washed,vaccumed, and the interior KINDA dressed, all for TEN DOLLARS!! yep- TEN dollars.....and it turned out to be a TEN dollar job! (lol) But this is way down in Donna Texas where there is a car wash on just about every corner! Needless to say I have never been back!:geez

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain too SocalB6. I usually stay away from doing quick washes and try to focus more on polishing. Many people around hear (I`m in LA too) don`t understand what it takes to get their paint looking it`s best. I try and educate them when I`m trying to sell them on a full paint correction detail and when I give them the price that`s all they`re thinking of. I may have to lower my prices too and offer up an express mini detail of some sorts. Hope it all works out for you.

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a passing thought that quickly disappeared a long time ago.

If a price point is the only thing getting you customers, you`d better believe that they will leave you for someone $1 cheaper. On that note, There will always be someone that will do a job cheaper than you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemin8r
    Many people around hear (I`m in LA too) don`t understand what it takes to get their paint looking it`s best.

This means they do not want their looking it`s best. They are willing to settle for something less.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Fella`s, it`s the same here in Ohio. Plus it`s seasonal too. Alot of people here do not know or want a full detail with paint correction. Most just want a good vac,their mats shampooed, the exterior to shine and the tries dressed. All the things that we talk about concerning a full detail is not in their thoughts. I don`t think it`s a bad idea to to meet a customers idea or expectations on what they want done and are willing to pay. You have not cheated them,nor yourself. They get what they pay for! While explaining to the client what their vehicle needs,the amount of time and processes,if they still want the quick wash and wax give it to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone so far for their input, I really appreciate it!

There are some very good points here...

jordanrossbell - Same here with the wash and wax customers. I don`t have too many regulars, but the few that I do have only care about keeping their cars "clean". A simple wash, vac and once a month wax does the trick; however, I do have two customers that started that way that realizing wash and waxing wasn`t the pinnacle of detailing. They actually brought the subject of a full, proper detail up to me, the rest was history. In regards to your statement, "...that if you get customers in the door for cut-rate prices, they will expect these all the time and you wont be able to go up.." I have noticed that if you meet or exceed their expectations the first time, you will usually have a bit more freedom in pricing once you have earned their trust.

gigondaz - +1 on everything you said! It`s a great feeling when someone who has gone against my advice comes back after their $75 "detail" or series of bad car washes with the same `ol story only to tell them, "told ya so".

Missdetail - From a business standpoint, there ain`t nothing wrong with that, like the guy I mentioned in my first post. The phrase, "you get what you pay for" is very accurate when it comes to detailing. Here in LA there are swirl-o-matics on every corner too, its annoying. All they have to do is get anywhere near $10 worth of service and they`re covered. They got your money. You say you aren`t going back, but its ok, they weren`t expecting you to.

Hemin8r - Today, more than ever in any business, one must diversify. The more you can do, the better. I have always offered a full line of service. From washing to wet sand-compound-polish jobs. What I am trying to do now I get the `el cheapo` jobs that the car washes would normally get. I am talking about the $49.99 `wash and wax` and the $75 `full detail` specials. I find that these customers don`t know squat about anything detailing related. Therefore, you can meet their expectations and their budget. For example, around here for $75 you get: motor, vacuum, carpet shampoo, wash, glaze, armor all on everything, lol, and windows. If you really think about it, its only about 2.5-3 hours of work and you`d still be getting $30-$25/hr with no machine work. Granted you`d have to switch up stuff and cut some corners, but the end result would be the same if not better. What part of LA are you in?

Jean-Claude - You are correct. Which is why I`ll take the job for what it is. As long as I am getting my cut, all I can do is hope they will keep coming back. With that said, before anything, one must always read the customer! If they are on the fence about something or don`t know anything as most do, some education and salesmanship may be the deal maker.

Showroom Shine - +1. I think I just elaborated on your post with these replies, lol.

Thread Information