I have been thinking about starting a small business for awhile. I work full-time in education so I want to supplement my income. I looked at a bunch of different types of businesses (cleaning, landscape, etc.) but I decided that I like the concept of a mobile detailing business.

Some of what I liked about mobile detailing are low start-up, I can build the business as large as I want it to grow or keep it small for the time being (busy with full-time job). I can run it by myself but when if I get a busy day then I can call in my wife for help. The flexibility of mobile detailing. I can detail after work and weekends and for the larger jobs I want to do pick-up and drop off. Because of the relatively small start-up cost, I really am not pressured to do a lot of details in my first year. Ultimately, I would like to get a steady clientele that will keep me busy for about 15-20 hours a week during peak times (summer) and modestly busy in the winter, a detail or two a week. Another thing about part-time detailing that I found nice was the flexibility with my personal life. If I want to take a vacation in the summer I can and just move business around a bit. With a lot of small businesses this cannot be done.

I definitely want to do this right and this site has helped me learn a lot, on both the business side and detailing side.

For the part-time mobile guys, what is your gross income for a year? The one thing that I have had difficulty figuring out what I expect to gain in my first year/ second year/ five years. Some help on this would be great.

Thanks for all the postings on this very informative site. Autopia is the the best!