Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    How much insurance does a person starting out need to get for himself?:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwgarrison
    How much insurance does a person starting out need to get for himself?:nixweiss

I would assume that would depend on what you are detailing? Lambos or Camrys?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty curious my self. How do you go about determining coverage? Much like a car? i.e. liability only? comprehensive?

If you detail across the bored.. i.e. Camrys all the way up to lambos and everything in between. $250k coverage I assume, right?
    Aaron

Owner- AC Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    it usually comes in 1 million dollar intervals for liability coverage. but that does not include driving vehicles. for that you need garage keepers liability, much like a valet or a mechanic would have. my advice, from experience, get the best insurance you can afford with a company you trust. I had my company deny a 1,200 dollar claim this year. ouch
    mobile auto detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcities
    it usually comes in 1 million dollar intervals for liability coverage. but that does not include driving vehicles. for that you need garage keepers liability, much like a valet or a mechanic would have. my advice, from experience, get the best insurance you can afford with a company you trust. I had my company deny a 1,200 dollar claim this year. ouch

Interesting! Where would one go about looking for this type of insurance? And how much would the `garage keepers` liability cost as well?
    Aaron

Owner- AC Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not understaning why you`d need $1,000,000 of insurance. We`re talking about a paint job here not replacing the whole car. I guess the owner could demand a replacment? I mean the worst you can do is jack up a panel, right?

How much does insurance like this cost anyways? Can some of the pros chime in on how much they are spending each month to cover their arses? TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Just called allstate just to get an idea of what kind of insurance and how much. The guy told me he would give me a call back when he gets the numbers ASAP.

I`ll keep everyone posted. Do I plan to go with allstate? Probably not, but it will at least be a figure for us start-ups
    Aaron

Owner- AC Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    i pay about 800 a year for garage keepers. i also carry 2 million liability policy in case some one falls in the shop. the cars are insured up 1 million if i damage one while working or driving it. dont forget if anything happens to it while under your care you are liable. in other shops for car audio i had an installer forget to claose the door after he parked it, another customer drove in fast and swiped the door off the car. it wasnt an expensive exotic, but still cost us a trip to the body shop. and yes it was our responsability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQDetailer
    I`m not understaning why you`d need $1,000,000 of insurance. We`re talking about a paint job here not replacing the whole car. I guess the owner could demand a replacment? I mean the worst you can do is jack up a panel, right?

What happens if you are doing a mobile job, have some electrical cord out a passerby trip on it, hits there head on concrete and suffers a skull fracture, subdural hematoma with significant cognitive impairment? :nervous:

A bit more than just a new paint job, wouldn`t you say? lol
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name
    What happens if you are doing a mobile job, have some electrical cord out a passerby trip on it, hits there head on concrete and suffers a skull fracture, subdural hematoma with significant cognitive impairment? :nervous:

A bit more than just a new paint job, wouldn`t you say? lol

Start a Nu Finish IV immediately, and apply a sham-wow tourniquet.
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like
    Meh, my unlucky and crappy driving record of the past two years (2 points on my DL) pretty much rules me out with allstate. Where do you all go for? And $800/year for all that coverage? SIGN ME UP!
    Aaron

Owner- AC Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Henry
    Start a Nu Finish IV immediately, and apply a sham-wow tourniquet.

LMAO!! that was funny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by d00t
    Meh, my unlucky and crappy driving record of the past two years (2 points on my DL) pretty much rules me out with allstate. Where do you all go for? And $800/year for all that coverage? SIGN ME UP!

no just for garage keepers. the liability is extra. if you want my agents name PM and i`ll give you his number. he`s in so cal so i dont know if does things in your area but he`s great

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing to consider about liability, especially if you are mobile, is a lot of places (business parks, hotels, dealerships, etc...) won`t let you work on their property if you aren`t carrying liability...and most want you to have $1,000,000 in liability.

Garage keepers covers you driving the car (among other things). If you are moving it out of the garage into the sun to inspect, and you hit something, the car will be covered. If you offer p/u and drop off service, the car will be covered should an accident occur.

It pays for itself too...I have had customers (even normal people that had me detailing in their driveway) choose me because I advertised that I was insured...many others in my area are not.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    So how much would a person need if you are just doing it in your garage?

I`m not looking to be mobile anytime soon and I`m only looking to do work on the weekends. Maybe 1-2 cars a month and help some friends out...

Not quitting my day job anytime soon.

I had a dealership lined up but he mentioned I`d need insurance. I guess that would be a huge step up in premiums from just doing stuff in my garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information